Thai attitude to foreigners: An all time low?

mike111

On 9/21/2016 at 2:33 AM, pattayadude said:

here's my  unbiased opinion...

I believe there are more than a dozen of social,political,economic and probably even religious reasons for the attitude change and many of them won't change to your liking in your lifetime.

if the Thai attitude  has become so unbearable, then there is only one rational thing to do and you know well what that is.

Just get a divorce.

Thailand is not the only option on this earth!

This may very well be my last trip after coming here around 20x. If I want rude treatment from miserable A-holes I can stay in NY.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/1/2019 at 7:32 AM, whitemouse said:

Legitimate criticism is not Thai bashing, it's is a simple criticism, and you shouldn't feel embarrassed. 

Your Thai family probably has very strong opinions about foreigners, and you are probably better off not knowing how they feel about us. 

Why the apparent and oh so obvious hatred of "falangs"? Don't we account for a significant percentage of their GDP? They were never occupied or colonized, what gives? I'm growing so disappointed, have been coming here since the 80's but the last few times the hostility and palpable. Ths may be my final tour. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 7:50 AM, sirineou said:

IMO the constant Thai bashing is not legitimate ,

There was an other thread about Thailand getting easy access busses for the elderly and  the disabled. almost every reply was critical If there was an article on Thailand not getting easy access busses, every reply would had also being critical.

For some , nothing Thais do can is good.  

I have being coming to Thailand over 13 years now, married to a wonderful girl for close to 10 years (better than I deserve), own with my wife two homes in Thailand, one in the US. Her family is great, no one ever asked me for a penny, the people in our village in Khon Kaen  are friendly, pleasant and treat me with respect.

All wonderful people I never had a problem with.

Are there problems in Thailand? sure there are, There are problems everywhere!! just different problems. We come here to get away from the problems back home, then we complain why Thailand is not more like back home.

Very strange IMO. 

It might be just in Pataya where I mstly stay but there sure is something crazy/wrong going on here. 

Went to Pier disco on walking street as a single farang, after conferring with each other, security guards declared a 300 baht door charge.  I watched as a group of 3 asian men walked in unimpeded, and asked the bouncers if it was because I was a farang.  They said yes.  

4 hours ago, Naam said:

i've been visiting Thailand since the 70s, live in Pattaya since 14 years and have neither experienced any hatred nor strong resentment. the latter also applies to a fistful of close friends. my only explanation for the negative impression some TV-members have is either paranoia or simply "tit for tat" reactions from the Thai side. 

I thought you lived in a walled estate completely isolated & insulated from the locals?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigrobtheactor said:

Why the apparent and oh so obvious hatred of "falangs"? Don't we account for a significant percentage of their GDP? They were never occupied or colonized, what gives? I'm growing so disappointed, have been coming here since the 80's but the last few times the hostility and palpable. Ths may be my final tour. 

The Thai people who never meet foreigners are usually very nice.

The more familiar they are with white folk, the more they appear to hate us.

Worst of all IMHO are the Immigration officers who show nothing but open contempt for white folk.

I probably encounter more immigration officials than the normal long term stayers as I like to have foreign holidays at least 4x a year, and it's rare to encounter one who doesn't go out of their way to be rude and difficult.

Edited by BritManToo

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I probably encounter more immigration officials than the normal long term stayers as I like to have foreign holidays at least 4x a year, and it's rare to encounter one who doesn't go out of their way to be rude and difficult.

in all these years travelling to/from Thailand i encountered only once a rude immigration office (an old shrivelled lady). however, i also have to admit that the smiles and remarks of the 80s and 90s at airport immigration, such as "have a nice stay", seem to be a thing of the past. but considering the latter as hatred or resentment would be ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bigrobtheactor said:

I see it too. Crazy. That's why I came to this forum, to see if it was me - or others noticed it as well. It's crazy. I've been coming here since the 80's and had I noticed this earlier would not have returned. It's beyond rude - it's outright hostility and I really can't imagine why. It's startling and not just vendors. Don't we pour tons of needed  money into this place?  What is their problem? Anyone?

the world has changed during 40 years. Moral values and attitudes are not same.Population doubled or tripled in many parts. Needs changed. People are getting more aggressive trying to make a living in tighter spaces having to share it with the competition. Rudeness and hostility is everywhere for the most part,not just in Thailand.

I'll let the new generation deal with it. Older generation naturally has hard time dealing with changes, not just today or in this century but throughout the history of the mankind.

it's my 2 cents. I hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid I'm right!:sad:

Edited by pattayadude
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Naam said:

i've been visiting Thailand since the 70s, live in Pattaya since 14 years and have neither experienced any hatred nor strong resentment. the latter also applies to a fistful of close friends. my only explanation for the negative impression some TV-members have is either paranoia or simply "tit for tat" reactions from the Thai side. 

When threads like this come up ,I always say the same thing,

"people like people that like them"  and  "like dogs that can smell fear, people can sense it that you don't like them, and they return the favor" .

Treat people with respect, be interested in them, in what they do, what they have to say  , conduct yourself with  dignity and good natured humor, and you get a lot of the same back.

Be defensive, look for enemies everywhere, and that's exactly what you will find. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and a vicious cycle.  

Same  here. Being coming to Thailand , not as long as you have , but for over 13 yers, Never had a problem!

Were there problems ? Sure, but when, and where were there no problems? you put them in proper perspective an deal with them properly. 

If Thai attitudes toward as has change its IMO opinion because of as, because of the baggage we bring  with as when we come here, and because of unrealistic expectations.When this expectations fail to materialise instead of blaming ourselves for having them. we blame the Thais. 

I have said it many times, " If Thais knew how we talk about them in this forum....." , well I am willing to bet that the attitudes displayed in this and other forums is not contained in the forum..

6 hours ago, tlock said:

Went to Pier disco on walking street as a single farang, after conferring with each other, security guards declared a 300 baht door charge.  I watched as a group of 3 asian men walked in unimpeded, and asked the bouncers if it was because I was a farang.  They said yes.  

Falang now are at the bottom of WS disco/gogo lists.

People complain about others not spending money but it is mostly Falang looking for the cheap draft beer and sipping it for an hour.

The younger Asian customers are engaging with the girls, buying many lady drinks, and taking girls from these places with their 1500 to 2000b barfines.

Falang are dieing a slow death and at some point soon will just be another unnecessary annoyance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

it is mostly Falang looking for the cheap draft beer and sipping it for an hour.

I found the cheap draught beer, it's 15bht/pint (50c) in nearly every bar in Cambodia.

No need to sip it for an hour, you can drink 5 pints for less than the price of one in a Thai bar.

No lady drink prices or bar fines, they're all freelancers and happy with the 15bht/pint beer.

• Like 1

smartphones equal information.  information equals learning that the farangs in Thailand are the worst farangs.  then everyone knows you are not here to see strawberry farms and pray with monks.  so then you feel the same in your home country.  lol.  good.  

sex tourists who drink beer, get fat, lazy, and look ridiculous with tattoos everywhere while being a digital nomad.....well, you deserve zero respect.  

so, run to another country where they don't have smartphones yet and realize you are not normal.  lol 

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I found the cheap draught beer, it's 15bht/pint (50c) in nearly every bar in Cambodia.

No need to sip it for an hour, you can drink 5 pints for less than the price of one in a Thai bar.

No lady drink prices or bar fines, they're all freelancers and happy with the 15bht/pint beer.

Cheap beer and cheap woman and no bar fine  , surely you can do better than that ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, puukao said:

smartphones equal information.  information equals learning that the farangs in Thailand are the worst farangs.  then everyone knows you are not here to see strawberry farms and pray with monks.  so then you feel the same in your home country.  lol.  good.  

sex tourists who drink beer, get fat, lazy, and look ridiculous with tattoos everywhere while being a digital nomad.....well, you deserve zero respect.  

so, run to another country where they don't have smartphones yet and realize you are not normal.  lol 

So Thais never drink and hang out with prostitutes?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

So Thais never drink and hang out with prostitutes?

Yes, but you really don't see it.

The "visual impression"

of Falang is Soi 7 and 8 at Beach road, all the bars way up to 3rd road.  Then walk around Big C or Tesco any afternoon.  Falang sitting around unkempt looking dazed and semi retarded.  I can go on.

The visual impression is fat, lazy, drink, sit around and do nothing.

In 15 years I have heard the Thai word for please twice.....sums it up really, was the same then as is now just that with social media etc its more accessible to see
That's of course not true. It is just that courtesy is expressed in a different way in Thai. You hear Krap, Ka, and Koo Toot constantly.

Naam likes to be controversial . . .

You can see what a load of bums are basking along the beach road of Pattaya. It's disgraceful, and of course this daily display of farang with zero self-respect, combined with the nightly parade of bonzo drunks lowers farang in the eyes of Thais.

And Thais in PTY know they are servicing a seedy world. It changes their attitude towards how they deal with people. And PTY is run by a murderous mafia, which also genuinely affects how people deal with each other.

So no surprise at the lack of respect demonstrated by PTY staff towards TV soi dogs.

That said, Thai people are as polite as any in SE Asia, though the smartphone generation genuinely do have a harder time with basic manners than prior generations.

. . . . And I guess I like to preach.

I see it too. Crazy. That's why I came to this forum, to see if it was me - or others noticed it as well. It's crazy. I've been coming here since the 80's and had I noticed this earlier would not have returned. It's beyond rude - it's outright hostility and I really can't imagine why. It's startling and not just vendors. Don't we pour tons of needed  money into this place?  What is their problem? Anyone?
Others have made clear - Thais understand now how awful many of the farang here are. If you don't want to be treated like one of those awful people, make sure to not look or talk like one, and don't go to places overrun by them.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Naam likes to be controversial . . .

You can see what a load of bums are basking along the beach road of Pattaya. It's disgraceful, and of course this daily display of farang with zero self-respect, combined with the nightly parade of bonzo drunks lowers farang in the eyes of Thais.

And Thais in PTY know they are servicing a seedy world. It changes their attitude towards how they deal with people. And PTY is run by a murderous mafia, which also genuinely affects how people deal with each other.

So no surprise at the lack of respect demonstrated by PTY staff towards TV soi dogs.

That said, Thai people are as polite as any in SE Asia, though the smartphone generation genuinely do have a harder time with basic manners than prior generations.

. . . . And I guess I like to preach.

PAT, PATTY, PATT, PATS, P, PATTS and now PTY. Geez it gets confusing.

So many acronyms and nick names for Pattaya, right close to JT, Rg and CB.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:25 AM, Jdiddy said:
7/11s sure, or any other places that cause the worker to become like a robot

I once took out a girl from 7-11, she was such a sweetheart. I am greeted every time I go through with eye contact and a smile.

Unless I am in a bar district, in which case eye contact is avoided and the greeting is perfunctory. The kids behind the counter are too busy wondering what the crazy/drunk/rude foreigners are going to do next, and if they are going to be in a viral video. ("Get on the floor now! He's live streaming this sh+t!")

It's all about where you choose to be and how you conduct yourself.

Edited by Rimmer
Photo removed
  • Like 2