Thai attitude to foreigners: An all time low?

mike111

On 11/30/2018 at 12:26 PM, madmen said:

Pkk

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

He means Prachuap Khiri khan i have lived here 6 years its an ok place wouldnt say people are overly friendly though but for sure better than HH

I fact i live about 15 km south of PKK in a rural area you are generally ignored as if you dont exist,  suits me fine!

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:53 AM, madmen said:

It's so bad here lately I was at home pro and asked for the location of a product and the guy didn't even look up from his phone and just pointed in the distance

I guess you were persona non grata to him. Just accept that.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, pattayadude said:

Of course their ability to speak perfect english must be the biggest bonus.

Interesting. I am aware that they receive English in schools in PH. But many of the ones that I have met in Canada are accented so heavily, they are hard to understand. Hardly what I would call "perfect English".

59 minutes ago, neeray said:

Interesting. I am aware that they receive English in schools in PH. But many of the ones that I have met in Canada are accented so heavily, they are hard to understand. Hardly what I would call "perfect English".

maybe the ones migrated to Canada are from a couple of generations before. the new generation with the social media in the pocket speak much better then their older counterparts

On 9/20/2016 at 7:08 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

And the evidence mounts but not in Pattaya.  Was at a popular, high-end pizza place in Bangkok this afternoon. Lots of staff, not that busy, so no one's overworked. I know they get good training from the foreign owners and staff have to have a modicum of English skills. Sorry, not giving the name.

Girl behind the counter drops off my slices on the counter in front of me and walks away without a glance or a word. Afterward, I smile (as I always do) and ask for a toothpick. Another girl with a slightly bothered look swings around but has already turned away without a glance or a word after slapping the dispenser on the counter. I stand at the cash casually waiting for my bill. I don't say anything, no pressure from me. A bill suddenly shoots out of the machine, the cashier grabs a bill holder, noisily slaps it on the counter, noisily slaps the paper bill on it as if she couldn't wait to do something else.

At no point did anyone ever smile, thank me for my patronage or encourage me to come back or say anything when I wordlessly walked out the door. 

I say there is no excuse for this kind of treatment.  In my semi-expat neighbourhood, service is quite OK. But I'm tired of the BS. Am looking at leaving end of November.

Relax Bud, all the staff owe you  is what your paying for. I would be more concerned over the pizza quality than some lack of chump change smiles. I would have had no problem in there. 

• Like 2

People don't like people that dont like them.

Their opinion of may of as, is directly proportional to the opinion that many of as have of them.

I often see the Thai bashing threads on TVF and am embarrassed by them, I think how embarrassing if my Thai family knew.

Well, I think they all are beginning to know, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Relax Bud, all the staff owe you  is what your paying for. I would be more concerned over the pizza quality than some lack of chump change smiles. I would have had no problem in there. 

35 minutes ago, morrobay said:

On 9/20/2016 at 8:08 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Im sure he is relaxed and probably long gone by now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

LOL. Seriously? spoken like a  male.  Women are at risk of being assaulted and raped. India is a sh*thouse when it comes to tourism and Thailand has Nothing, absolutely nothing to learn from India. India has hundreds of millions of people living in penury so it is to be expected that some will bow down before anyone with a bit of dosh. Thailand doesn't have the same level of poverty and certainly has a higher degree of literacy. One can go on for pages as to  hw much better Thailand is, including hospitality.

What we have here is a thread driven  in large part by the observations of disappointed sexpats. In the  regular world of Thailand, the world of skilled people, of those with an education, they are as friendly and hospitable as anywhere  else in the world. It is just silly to expect Thais to get excited over elderly foreigners. It is not as if these foreigners are anything special are they? I certainly do not get excited over seeing some retired  lorry driver in Tesco, or a tatooed yob liquored up at Central, or an elderly European in thong. Why then is it expected that the locals are expect to greet every farang as if it is a visit from heavens?

Thais still respond to people based upon how they  conduct themselves and how they are  attired. Dress like a slob, and conduct yourself like an uncouth visigoth and you will be treated accordingly. Thais under the age of 30, ridicule smokers and they don't like fat people. The world has changed and so has Thailand.

You sound like your  from Hua Hin ?

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:08 AM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

At no point did anyone ever smile, thank me for my patronage or encourage me to come back or say anything when I wordlessly walked out the door. 

I say there is no excuse for this kind of treatment.  In my semi-expat neighbourhood, service is quite OK. But I'm tired of the BS. Am looking at leaving end of November.

I guess I've been lucky. Having bought goods and services north and south in Thailand from food to transportation services, I have found the service quality and customer interaction to be basically superior to my highly developed home country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Nothing Thai do, is right with some of you, the most positive news reported will be found with negative responses.

It is amazing how Thais and Thailand has survived so long without your " constructive criticism"  

:clap2:

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Nothing Thai do, is right with some of you, the most positive news reported will be found with negative responses.

It is amazing how Thais and Thailand has survived so long without your " constructive criticism"  

+ ONE.

A post discussing moderation has been removed.

As a point of interest, mods can not be everywhere all the time but you can help, if you see overtly racist posts use the report button and we will remove it.

Another thing to bear in mind is all of the really horrible racists posts that members never see because mods have removed them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, pattayadude said:

unfriendly staff is a norm in any business in LOS

That's completely false, it might be the norm for you, in which case you need to look in the mirror because it's certainly not the norm for most of the rest of us....that said, I do believe that locals get jaded faster in tourist destination than they do in the real Thailand.

• Like 1

With every 7/11 I've entered the staff always say "sawadee ka chern ka", and sure sometimes when they're busy it's said on auto-pilot but my hello hug gets their attention real fast. ????

I recall reading some typical greetings elsewhere online:

You no buy beer now! You come here every day and same same try buy beer. No buy! Stupid like buffalo.

or

What are YOU doing here again?...No more condoms and beer, khrap! 

7 minutes ago, brling said:

Thais are the second fattest people in asia, aiming for the number 1 spot, by the look of it. btw you will need to remove the rose tints before you defenders will see it.

Very true.

I am sure that they will make number one spot soon-that is,if they try hard enough.????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aforek said:

Not where I live ( upcountry in Thailand ) ; every body is nice with me, very smiling

again, behaviour of people is not the same in city, touristic places and in the deep Thailand 

If anything thais should be more friendly toward foreigners in the tourist areas since that is there lively hood. For some strange reason they want to have it both ways.

My brother, who lives in England told me that actually they are mostly quoting from a rehearsed script, giving polite but canned responses to customers' common and expected questions, since their knowledge of English language was rather poor.

He said that you can confirm this by giving a totally unexpected response, such as 'Please rub my nipples with a wet lettuce', as which point the staff member will become totally flustered and rush to search their script for the correct reply to this comment

in many countries that sentence would put the man in an ambulance and on the way to ER with the lettuce sticking out of .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1