Thai attitude to foreigners: An all time low?

mike111

On 12/3/2018 at 1:30 PM, morrobay said:

If anything thais should be more friendly toward foreigners in the tourist areas since that is there lively hood. For some strange reason they want to have it both ways.

I am afraid it will get worse before it gets better. The political division in Thai people is fueling the resurgence of Thai nationalism which has a sizeable public backing and it trickles down to their negative attitude towards the expats and visitors IMO. There was a good reason for the military takeover in 2014

the white fella will always never be again trusted (all painted with the same tainted brush) , thanks to the legacy of the French almost 126 years ago when they invaded Koh Si Chang

(not far enough away from Pattaya)

Edited by tifino

It's not specific to towards foreigners, I'm finding people are just in a lousy mood in Pattaya lately and my Thai partner has noticed it towards her too.

I'd say there are a lot of factors, overcrowding, traffic, etc, cost of living rising faster than income.

Just showing some consideration and friendliness goes a long way to getting a decent response.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 3:50 PM, elgordo38 said:

Yes I have noticed this to. As soon as you pick up an article and ask the price they go straight to the cash register and feel slighted if you do not purchase. 

The boss screw them up bad if the sale is not good, so the chain reaction starts. You are the cause of her misery when you didn't buy anything and asking a lot questions.  My sympathy is always with them.

The consumer society throughout the world creates this sort of behavior. Do french people in Paris say "bonjour" to me ? I didn't hear any when I was there funny isn't it? A very well known famous tourist city yet no one not even one french say "bonjour" to me that spoil my beautiful morning. I was expecting to hear "bonjour" of course after I spent so much money.  In countryside and villages yes all the time and they smile too. Of course if you speak french they talk to you but only if your french is not rotten. They just cannot stand it when you mispronounce their beautiful language and making too many ugly mistakes.

Perhaps the Thais think "if you Farangs don't come to Thailand it's all right for us, we will go back to the village and grow rice."

Agrarian lifestyle will be good for them in fact good for just about anyone.

• Confused 1

On 12/5/2018 at 6:27 AM, morrobay said:

the 2 hour waiting  lines of thais  in their cars for T21 parking. I guess that mall will do allright since thais do not seem to mind 2 hour wait.

On the other hand, they seem to have a big problem waiting 2 minutes for the red light to turn green at an intersection. :blink:

On 9/2/2016 at 1:06 PM, phycokiller said:

was pretty bad 10 years ago, many shops i went into to inquire prices I was told not to come back to because i didnt buy something, and I have observed them swearing at customers as they walk away if they dont buy something. not all were like that and they were naturally the ones that got my business. Im in cambodia now and  they  have no problem thanking you even when you dont buy, just like a normal person would. makes life much easier when you dont have to worry about them letting loose on you. Im not sure why thais are like that, I guess they are just extremely sensitive and easily insulted because they lack the mental faculties to rationally think things through

to add to that, Im not suggesting this is an anti foreigner thing, its very likely they do it to each other as well

Not true.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, brling said:

It is true.  You probably cant accept the truth.

Are you saying that you received the comment 'you didn't buy anything so don't come back' every time you looked at a product, or was it once, or what?

And it might help to recognize that you can find a whole array of reactions and attitudes in all countries.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Are you saying that you received the comment 'you didn't buy anything so don't come back' every time you looked at a product, or was it once, or what?

And it might help to recognize that you can find a whole array of reactions and attitudes in all countries.

Don't mind him I bet he will not respond.

He has a continued documented hate of Thailand and Thais with not one positive comment I have seen.

What a very very sad way to think and live..

Happy New Year to you.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 2:42 PM, sambum said:

The first time I came to Thailand (more than 15 years ago) I noticed that - and also on my return to London that when you smiled at somebody you got a "who the <deleted> are you looking at" type of response.

I found the people in London, when I was living there 2016-2018, universally polite, pleasant and helpful.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 3:48 PM, sirineou said:

People don't like people that dont like them.

Their opinion of may of as, is directly proportional to the opinion that many of as have of them.

I often see the Thai bashing threads on TVF and am embarrassed by them, I think how embarrassing if my Thai family knew.

Well, I think they all are beginning to know, 

Legitimate criticism is not Thai bashing, it's is a simple criticism, and you shouldn't feel embarrassed. 

Your Thai family probably has very strong opinions about foreigners, and you are probably better off not knowing how they feel about us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

IMO the constant Thai bashing is not legitimate ,

There was an other thread about Thailand getting easy access busses for the elderly and  the disabled. almost every reply was critical If there was an article on Thailand not getting easy access busses, every reply would had also being critical.

For some , nothing Thais do can is no good.  

I have being coming to Thailand over 13 years now, married to a wonderful girl for close to 10 years (better than I deserve), own with my wife two homes in Thailand, one in the US. Her family is great, no one ever asked me for a penny, the people in our village in Khon Kaen  are friendly, pleasant and treat me with respect.

All wonderful people I never had a problem with.

Are there problems in Thailand? sure there are, There are problems everywhere!! just different problems. We come here to get away from the problems back home, then we complain why Thailand is not more like back home.

Very strange IMO. 

Sorry for the double negative in the highlighted portion , I just noticed it when Naam replied to it. It should say "Nothing Thais can do is good"

Unfortunately I can no longer edit it , if a Mod can repair it I would appreciate it.

In the meantime I will hung my face in shame and try to drown my sorrow  by consuming copious amounts of beer :tongue:

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2018 at 1:55 PM, geriatrickid said:

Why then is it expected that the locals are expect to greet every farang as if it is a visit from heavens?

Its not expected by anyone here and its not expected for Thais to get 'excited" about foreigners. Thats your  strawman argument: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

But its not really a chicken/egg thing  that is going on here. At least in Pattaya ie - they dislike foreigners. Having said, that with most of the foreigners around here my attitude is at an all time low too. And as whitemouse and myself have noted, constructive criticism is only "thai bashing" by  the thai apologists.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard so much BS in my life.  been coming here since 1971.  We used to be treated like kings.  and the land of smiles really deservered it's name .  been living here for about 5 years and I've about had my fill.

• Like 1

One has to assume you are talking about Pattaya, Phuket or Samui. Those places are the worst in Thailand, for some of the locals, who are jaded, have very little pride in their environment, and little gratitude toward customers. In many other places, including most of the small town areas, most of rural Thailand, Hua Hin, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and most of the other big cities, I do not find this to be the case at all. I find most Thais to be warm, friendly, helpful, light hearted, fun and cheerful. I also find that they are incredibly intuitive, and very reactive to what you put out there. When I am smiling and pleasant and respectful, that seems to be exactly what I get in return.

The nationalism, and xenophobia, is primarily coming from the administration, the army, and immigration policy. That needs to be fixed. That is totally inexcusable, and a very, very poor performance on their part. 

On 1/14/2019 at 6:11 PM, joeyg said:

I've never heard so much BS in my life.  been coming here since 1971.  We used to be treated like kings.  and the land of smiles really deservered it's name .  been living here for about 5 years and I've about had my fill.

Maybe too much competition now?

How sad you wasted 5 years of your life to figure that out...

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

On Fri Sep 02 2016 at 7:46 AM, beachproperty said:

So you went to a few shops where they didn't say thank-you....And  one laundry shop where the women was busy and didn't kiss your ass.

For a tourist in touristy areas to make generalization about all the Thai's....Well that's just stupid:w00t:

Have lived here for over 10 Years and NO I haven't seen Thai attitudes gradually eroding......But maybe that's because I don't live in a touristy area.

eroding happens only if there was something there that could erode ..

I see it too. Crazy. That's why I came to this forum, to see if it was me - or others noticed it as well. It's crazy. I've been coming here since the 80's and had I noticed this earlier would not have returned. It's beyond rude - it's outright hostility and I really can't imagine why. It's startling and not just vendors. Don't we pour tons of needed  money into this place?  What is their problem? Anyone?