Thai attitude to foreigners: An all time low?

mike111

Every cloud has a silver lining. Keep trying to get the info you need not all companies are like this and i'd agree they are few and far between and improvement is required but the same can be said for anywhere. I think it will improve but on the same note I think it is a 2 way street.

Edited by Rc2702
Crappy corrected

17 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

And the evidence mounts but not in Pattaya.  Was at a popular, high-end pizza place in Bangkok this afternoon. Lots of staff, not that busy, so no one's overworked. I know they get good training from the foreign owners and staff have to have a modicum of English skills. Sorry, not giving the name.

Girl behind the counter drops off my slices on the counter in front of me and walks away without a glance or a word. Afterward, I smile (as I always do) and ask for a toothpick. Another girl with a slightly bothered look swings around but has already turned away without a glance or a word after slapping the dispenser on the counter. I stand at the cash casually waiting for my bill. I don't say anything, no pressure from me. A bill suddenly shoots out of the machine, the cashier grabs a bill holder, noisily slaps it on the counter, noisily slaps the paper bill on it as if she couldn't wait to do something else.

At no point did anyone ever smile, thank me for my patronage or encourage me to come back or say anything when I wordlessly walked out the door. 

I say there is no excuse for this kind of treatment.  In my semi-expat neighbourhood, service is quite OK. But I'm tired of the BS. Am looking at leaving end of November.

I hope you find a country that meets your exacting pizza serving standards where you will be happy.

• Sad 1

Most of these complaints seem to be about service from the girls.

Sure they can be a little salty but at least they are working.

While the main employment qualification for thai males seems to be the ability

to sit out in front of workplace and smoke a pack of cigarettes  everday

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 2

On 04/09/2016 at 0:03 PM, thai3 said:

No but it's a laugh when people think they are liked just because they are paying somebody for sex, believe me most Thai prostitutes do despise and dislike the customer, falang or not. 

They say that's the same all over the world.

21 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I didn't say things were always perfect but I haven't experienced a marked decline in service standards since I've been here. Usually its very courteous and helpful (or at least they try to be) and occasionally there is the rude or incompentent episode as there is in any country. From what some people describe, you'd think service staff were throwing food or goods at them...which maybe they are but I have yet to experience this.

I think most companies do make an effort in customer service (of course it's not at Western levels but they are making stides). In fact, just the other day at Starbucks, I got one of those special receipts with a code wherein if you answer a customer service questionaaire on their website you get a free beverage of your choice (that could be up to 100-150 baht or 3-4 dollars). Why would they be giving away free drinks if you answer a few questions if they didn't care about the customer experience in their stores.

I'll leave the rest of the thread to the generic Thai bashers, of which there seem to be so many on this forum. It's a mystery why these members even stay in Thailand (assuming they are even here and not keyboard expats) if they have to live through the horrors of daily life they like to describe around here.

PS: Even NY Pizza is getting in the customer service improvement act...as I note they offer a 5% discount on online orders if you give them suggestions on improving the web ordering experience or any other aspect of their operation. 

True enough. good points.

• Like 2

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 3:52 PM, pattayadude said:

Big banks don't even have decent English speaking tellers!.as a matter of fact many do not even have any.Simple transactions take longer bec. of the language barrier.

Nor many decent English speaking customers. I can't even understand most of that yammer.

many times when I ask a teller a simple question like "what is the savings account interest rate", all she does is stare at me as if I asked an 8 year old what is her opinion on the parallel universe.

Or maybe it was as if you're the 8-year-old. Were you speaking Brummie or Geordie?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I hope you find a country that meets your exacting pizza serving standards where you will be happy.

It's not about pizza, or mathematical exactitude or marketing-engineered standards, it's about the simple acknowledgement that we are two human beings (customer and server) deserving of mutual respect.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Global Guy said:

I think Thaivisa should have an auto delete for any comment that states "if you don't like it , then leave."

I think it should simply auto post "if you don't like it, then leave" in response to our countless whinges. Reasoning & perspective are useless, so might as well just post only that and be done with it. Then auto delete the responses to the auto post. :biggrin: 'Course, we wouldn't have many posts then. ;) Save a lot of time.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Global Guy said:

I think Thaivisa should have an auto delete for any comment that states "if you don't like it , then leave." 

Just because many of us do not tolerate being treated like dirt where we spend our money does not mean we have to leave the country. How about this crazy idea....not have staff treat customers like they are trying to steal their newborn? How about basic human decency that can be reasonably expected almost anywhere in the world?

I don't care if someone walking down the street is rude to me. I'm only commenting on places where they treat you poorly that you spend money. And I'm not referencing any of the adult themed places, taxis, baht buses, or anything like that either.

Just because we have some self-respect and are aware of our surroundings, again, doesn't mean we have to leave the country. Where did that reasoning come from? That same comment comes up in almost every thread on this site.

It's possible to stay but want it to change. We all know it won't change in 100 years. But this is a discussion board...so, we discuss.

that's what I said

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/2/2016 at 2:14 PM, Dexlowe said:

In recent trips to Rayong, Si Racha and Chon Buri town I've noticed a clear difference in the attitudes of staff and people in general to Pattaya and Jomtien. I have no idea of what attitudes are like in other major tourist places like Phuket and Hua Hin, but certainly Pattaya is clearly going down hill. I can still elicit smiles from staff here when I make the effort to be friendly, but the reaction of indifference is so much more frequent these days that I seldom make the effort to be polite and friendly. It makes me want to start drinking again so I can be ripped off with a smile for a change. :)  

The last two years were very quiet.  Business is down this year too.  Household debt is climbing rapidly.  With the global economic down turn, it will only get worse.

On 9/2/2016 at 3:09 PM, MissAndry said:

It was an unexpected shock to me when I arrived here. Much more polite in the Philippines too.

Land of Smiles award should change hands and be given to the Philippines.

I noticed(during my long stay in Manila) everyone was so polite, talkative, happy, friendly and ALL SMILES ear to ear.

Of course their ability to speak perfect english must be the biggest bonus.

To my surprise,I found out that speaking English  among Filipino co-workers even away from office during a lunch break is a company policy and I was shocked when I witnessed how religiously they stick to it.

I think Thais in general are more rebellious and aggressive(and even violent) but filipinos on the other hand are mild and peaceful people

Edited by pattayadude

9 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

I think Thais in general are more rebellious and aggressive(and even violent) but filipinos on the other hand are mild and peaceful people

There are plenty of aggressive people over there too, but they are just quieter about it. You'll have a harder job knowing if someone is upset with you.

• Like 1

It's no surprise that Thais are more rude in Touristy areas especially those places where sex for sale is prevalent. That is common everywhere in the world not just in Thailand. I guess if you are stuck to places like these that's the only perspective you gonna get. Venture out to a non touristy area and it is totally different.

• Like 1

Went to hua hin for a weekend last year during closed season and experienced that rude behaviour from most shops etc but I noticed in 711 they were not even greeting anyone as they walked into shop. Went to PKK a week later what a difference a few km makes. Beautiful everything.
Pkk

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, tropo said:

There are plenty of aggressive people over there too, but they are just quieter about it. You'll have a harder job knowing if someone is upset with you.

Filipinos generally avoid argumentative situations and they are so mild and soft that it even affects your aggressive(if you are)behavior. But in my quote I was referring to a simple smile and a "yes sir" and "thank you sir" almost anywhere I encountered in the Phils malls, 7elevens etc.

They don't even employ males in the girly bars(except a 5'4 gay DJ or and maybe a gay make-up artist) unlike WS bars with many aggressive male staff and violent bouncers.

In Phils mamasans are friendlier and the security guards are friendly and all smiles,. They allow in-and-outs without any problem and several times a night.

I lived in both countries, trust me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pattayadude said:

Filipinos generally avoid argumentative situations and they are so mild and soft that it even affects your aggressive(if you are)behavior. But in my quote I was referring to a simple smile and a "yes sir" and "thank you sir" almost anywhere I encountered in the Phils malls, 7elevens etc.

They don't even employ males in the girly bars(except a 5'4 gay DJ or and maybe a gay make-up artist) unlike WS bars with many aggressive male staff and violent bouncers.

In Phils mamasans are friendlier and the security guards are friendly and all smiles,. They allow in-and-outs without any problem and several times a night.

I lived in both countries, trust me.

There are guys riding shotgun in nearly every shop,you can not just walk into a small shop and grab what you want.No going to an ATM after dark alone,many hold ups in parts of manilla.

Thailand is a lot better,trust me.

• Thanks 1