Phuket: Municipality springs to action as social media complaint goes viral

webfact

Municipality springs to action as social media complaint goes viral

Phuket Gazette

pkt55.jpeg          

Ms Fern sustained injuries and her bike was damaged in the incident. Photo: Fern A Romdee

PHUKET: -- A Phuket woman turned to social media for help after her complaints about an injury from a hanging wire allegedly went unheeded. 

Facebook user Fern A Romdee‎ shared her complaints on a public Facebook group on Wednesday. She said the incident occurred as she was driving past Supercheap at Naka market. 

“At about 7pm on August 31, I was hit by a hanging wire, which wrapped around my neck and caused me to crash my motorbike. I was injured and my bike was also damaged. I have no idea who is responsible for taking care of this. I have filed a complaint with the Wichit Police and made my way to a hospital for treatment,” the post read in Thai.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Municipality-springs-action-social-media-complaint-goes/65496?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-09-02

I've seen plenty of wires hanging down and I had wondered why this hadn't happened more often. Extremely dangerous for anyone riding a motorbike. The telephone cables seem to be the worst offenders. They get hit by a passing truck and are just left hanging and a new one is run without taking down the old one. It definitely has a third world look about it. Sorry that someone had to get injured and take it to social media to get any attention...

6 hours ago, bearpolar said:

she was driving on the sidewalk though, who would complain if she had hit a child walking?

First, there is no mention in the report that she was driving on the sidewalk but I do question how she can say, "I was hit by a hanging wire." when it was herself that hit the wire that was hanging down?  However, I do agree that there are more hanging wires than wires that are suspended between posts, or whatever, and when new wire are strung the old unused wire are just left in place.  Also, have noticed that when new wires are put up the portions that are not to be used are just coiled, tied up and left, sometimes for years.  Dangerous.