Education Minister says Thai students lack critical thinking and English language skills

snoop1130

Education Minister says Thai students lack critical thinking and English language skills

By Coconuts Bangkok

school_0.jpg

Photo: OBEC

When Thai schools ask students to focus on memorizing textbooks and give a free pass to students who write reports by copying text from the internet, Thai education seriously needs a remodeling.

Education Minister Dapong Rattanasuwan admitted that there are problems in all aspects of Thai education, particularly issues concerning English proficiency and critical thinking.

Speaking during a weekly program called “Thailand Moves Forward,” Dapong revealed results of a recently-conducted study that revealed that academic performances of Thai students in math, science, English and Thai languages are below standard.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/02/education-minister-says-thai-students-lack-critical-thinking-and-english-language-skills

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-09-02

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eureka. New knowledge is a wunnerfull thing. I for one, never even suspected this.

A blinding observation. The education system has been doing precisely what it was designed to do for all these years.

So now, things will start to change?

I thought not.

Winnie

Why do I get this strange 'deja vue' feeling when I read this article?:w00t:

Now I know, because I read the same comments for ten years every  time a Thai official opens his/her mouth about the education system. :bah:

I know, babysteps,  so how about the next babystep forward and start to change something? 

If they had critical thinking skills they certainly wouldnt accept the military controlling their lives nor the constant manure produced from those also severly lacking in critical thinking ability.

But then who would there be to believe in ghosts, black magic, karma and lucky numbers.

Students lack English skills:cheesy::cheesy:.

The minister has just found that out, he needs to take his head out of his rear end.

Children in Thailand are not encouraged to think, just copy from books and learn parrot fashion.

Change the attitude of ministers senior/ education officials, get proper training for the teachers.

That would be a start, get properly educated English teachers, not just ones who have no experience/ proper teaching skills.

Pay peanuts like what most schools are doing get monkeys.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Students lack English skills:cheesy::cheesy:.

The minister has just found that out, he needs to take his head out of his rear end.

Children in Thailand are not encouraged to think, just copy from books and learn parrot fashion.

Change the attitude of ministers senior/ education officials, get proper training for the teachers.

That would be a start, get properly educated English teachers, not just ones who have no experience/ proper teaching skills.

Pay peanuts like what most schools are doing get monkeys.

After 12 years in Thailand, I thought I would have got used to the stupidity.

I'm really disappointed not to have got any such thing.

Winnie

3 hours ago, Reigntax said:

If they had critical thinking skills they certainly wouldnt accept the military controlling their lives nor the constant manure produced from those also severly lacking in critical thinking ability.

But then who would there be to believe in ghosts, black magic, karma and lucky numbers.

"If they had critical thinking skills they certainly wouldnt accept the military controlling their lives"

If they had critical thinking skills ...

....they wouldn't have accepted Thaksin as a PM and demagogue

.... there wouldn't be redshirts

Edited by sweatalot

3 hours ago, debate101 said:

If Thailand's students overall are "below standard" in Thai language, then who are they being compared to? I would have thought they were the standard. 

A well observed point, that is destined to sink in the dross.

22 minutes ago, Slip said:

A well observed point, that is destined to sink in the dross.

not really. it means they are failing to achieve a minimum standard in the use of thai. for example, in the uk a child's standard of english is measured by testing and examination as they progress through the educational system, this way those who are failing to achieve the minimum standard can be identified and helped.

just because someone is english it doesn't mean they can comminicate in coherent and grammatically correct english - you should hear teenagers and footballers speak to clearly understand this.

43 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

"If they had critical thinking skills they certainly wouldnt accept the military controlling their lives"

There you go. Lack of critical thinking also to be found among foreigners. Like this one. Can only regurgitate what their teeraks tell 'em.

Winnie

3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

not really. it means they are failing to achieve a minimum standard in the use of thai. for example, in the uk a child's standard of english is measured by testing and examination as they progress through the educational system, this way those who are failing to achieve the minimum standard can be identified and helped.

just because someone is english it doesn't mean they can comminicate in coherent and grammatically correct english - you should hear teenagers and footballers speak to clearly understand this.

You seek to hide unpalateable facts in a fog of pointless and irrelevant verbiage. The reality is that most Thai language students 'pass' Thai language courses with less than 50%. Mainly on multiple-answer papers where the random answer score would like as not be 25%.

Hopeless, they can't even pass their own language.

Winnie

Think you are all missing the salient point in the Ministers comments, "Their awareness of national history has also declined,"

This is clearly a failure of the system, or the educators (can't believe I used that word) or the actions of a third hand.

History will show my comments to be correct, subject to amendment by whoever is in control at that moment in time.

Edited by BigBadGeordie

7 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Think you are all missing the salient point in the Ministers comments, "Their awareness of national history has also declined,"

This is clearly a failure of the system, or the educators (can't believe I used that word) or the actions of a third hand.

History will show my comments to be correct, subject to amendment by whoever is in control at that moment in time.

What passes for Thai history is a group of hagiographies and a selection of fantasies to help the Thais feel good about themselves and foster a sense of nationalism that the kleptocracy can use to whip up support when required. In fact, Thais have never won a reasonably-sized stouche yet and even lost against a bunch of Laos farmers in the late 1970's - under General Chavalit, Mr Blobby himself. It's all about self-image and feel-good face. As is just about everything in Thailand.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Since Kindergarden, they are told that Thailand is the greatest country in the world. What is there to improve ? English ?
Soon, the PM will declare "Thai" as the premier language of the wold. That will solve 50 % of the problem. The other 50 % of the problem (logical thinking, or the lack thereof ) will not be resolved during our lifetime, unless your age is around 5 years old.
Cheers.

12 minutes ago, swissie said:

Since Kindergarden, they are told that Thailand is the greatest country in the world. What is there to improve ? English ?
Soon, the PM will declare "Thai" as the premier language of the wold. That will solve 50 % of the problem. The other 50 % of the problem (logical thinking, or the lack thereof ) will not be resolved during our lifetime, unless your age is around 5 years old.
Cheers.

No need to resolve the critical thinking thing at all. The present levels have served the kleptocracy pretty well so far.

Winnie

16 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

No need to resolve the critical thinking thing at all. The present levels have served the kleptocracy pretty well so far.

Winnie

Has served them well over the last 120 years. The few "Elite Family's" will see to it, that nothing fundamental will ever change.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Winniedapu said:

What passes for Thai history is a group of hagiographies and a selection of fantasies to help the Thais feel good about themselves and foster a sense of nationalism that the kleptocracy can use to whip up support when required. In fact, Thais have never won a reasonably-sized stouche yet and even lost against a bunch of Laos farmers in the late 1970's - under General Chavalit, Mr Blobby himself. It's all about self-image and feel-good face. As is just about everything in Thailand.

Winnie

Well expressed :clap2: Now, consider this: In how many other countries (in your travel experience) can you (as an obvious foreigner) walk the streets, alone at night, sloppy-falling-down drunk, in a city the size of Bangkok, and absolutely no group of local menfolk will either accost, or attempt to rob you? That is also a Thai "cultural" phenomenon, well-worth any thinking person's consideration. Wouldn't you agree?:coffee1:

Edited by NativeSon360

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

on the contrary-it was because they demonstrated thinking skills and good judgement that they had their choice stolen from them at gun point.