Migrant workers at Talad Thai face clamp down

rooster59

Migrant workers at Talad Thai face clamp down

12_Talad-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Following complaints that migrant workers are not doing jobs that they were permitted, but are taking other restricted jobs,  posing a threat to the country’s social security and their implications on the country’s employment market, local and labour authorities yesterday raided several places in Bangkok and adjacent provinces to conduct spot check.

One of the places targeted is Talad Thai, the country’s largest wholesale food market,

The officials were led by the governor of Pathumthani province, and accompanied by police and soldiers.

13 migrant workers were found to be running their own business as well as admitting to being a freelance hire.

According to authorities, there are currently 11 wholesale fresh market same as Talad Thai  in the country.

The Labor Law 2008 strictly prohibits migrant workers from becoming self employed or to run their own business.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/migrant-workers-talad-thai-face-clamp/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-03

Dictionary definitions of xenophobia include: "deep-rooted fear towards foreigners" (Oxford English Dictionary; OED), and "fear of the unfamiliar" (Webster's). The word comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "strange", "foreigner", and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear".

Synonym: Thainess

Happy to hear this, farang are usually the evil-doers, while Nepalese, Burmese, Cambodians, Lao, Chinese get away with doing hatever the heck they want. Here in Phuket Burmese actively do their own businesses that are reserved fo Thais, and in direct competition with Thais, illegal Nepalese and Burmese work in dept. stores in professions reserved for Thais, I could have dozens arrested within the hour if asked to help.

4 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Dictionary definitions of xenophobia include: "deep-rooted fear towards foreigners" (Oxford English Dictionary; OED), and "fear of the unfamiliar" (Webster's). The word comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "strange", "foreigner", and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear".

Synonym: Thainess

if they are not permitted to do certain job they should not do so.

12 minutes ago, Familyaffairs said:

Happy to hear this, farang are usually the evil-doers, while Nepalese, Burmese, Cambodians, Lao, Chinese get away with doing hatever the heck they want. Here in Phuket Burmese actively do their own businesses that are reserved fo Thais, and in direct competition with Thais, illegal Nepalese and Burmese work in dept. stores in professions reserved for Thais, I could have dozens arrested within the hour if asked to help.

do good public service i say. do not waste time.

3 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

More evil foreigners, Obviously the cause of all Thailand's problems.

A transparent attempt at diversion at best.

Winnie

foreign talent is not  all evil. it can complement the requirements of the host country if used well.

Many replies in the different topics seem to be obsessed with "brown envelopes". What is it, prey tell me,  that prompts people to mention it over and over and over and over again and over again. If that is the culture...so be it....like ot or leave it.

If migrant workers are performing work in prohibited jobs (other than being the sole proprietor of a business), this could only happen if they were hired by a Thai to do the work.  If you want to punish the migrant worker, then the Thai business owner should also be punished as well. Obviously, the main reason a Thai business owner will hire a migrant worker -- usually an undocumented migrant worker -- is to exploit them as much as they can.  The existing system will result in the deportation of the migrant worker and the business owner will have them replaced with another migrant worker as soon as they can.

5 hours ago, Familyaffairs said:

another deluded farrang - if only they asked for my help, then Thailand would be free from all its troubles

Not in there Remit  !!! lol

23 hours ago, sahibji said:

foreign talent is not  all evil. it can complement the requirements of the host country if used well.

23 hours ago, sahibji said:

mit

It's only a matter of a few short years, when many of these same job types will be available and sought after in cambodia and Myanmar. I do hope both of these future thriving economic zones remember how they have been treated. When I was recently in cambodia, I saw several restaurants and bars being run by Thais. 

Times are changing. 

Truth of the matter is there isnt enough Thais available to do all the jobs reserved for Thais. Hence why there are so many Burmese, etc. If you go to Samut Sakhorn you might think you are in Burma. Almost every other person is Burmese, you see alot of blokes wearing traditional Burmese dress and the superstores have writing in Thai and Burmese. There are also dormitory type accomodation for the Burmese so they can keep their accomodation costs low.