Gobble, Gobble, Gobble......Turkey Ban ON or OFF

Gonzo the Face

6 hours ago, NancyL said:

Kenny, the manager at Duke's Maya says they're getting Norbest turkeys, which are American turkeys (the company is based in Utah) from Rim Ping.  Obviously they're not paying the Rim Ping retail price!  He said something about the Maya Duke's ordering 26 birds.  

I don't understand how Norbest turkey's got into Thailand this year and last but the superior Butterballs didn't.

Is your local supermarket selling those same Norbest turkeys to regular retail customers?  I hadn't heard any were on offer to the public?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, luther said:

Rimping Meek Chok has Norbest and Thai turkeys. The Thai turkeys are half the price.  A Thai friend says she saw turkey's at Tesco.

Very curious to understand how there can be Norbest turkeys there at Rimping, when supposedly there's a continuing national embargo against all U.S. turkey imports.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I'm glad at least SOME of us will have U.S. turkeys for Thanksgiving. Just wish I could find where, if anywhere, the same brand might be present in BKK.

The embargo may very well be dependent upon the State of origin of the turkeys.  Having owned a greenhouse/nursery business in the U.S. in a previous life, I know the rules that governed the export of live plants varied on a state-by-state basis and I suspect they do for other products inspected by the U.S.D.A.

In Bkk. Tesco Rama 4 will take pre paid orders for a Whole Roasted Turkey. for 2500b. I saw it on there website. They don't say where there turkeys come from. I would think they are imported though. 

From all appearances, I'd say Tesco is selling Thai turkeys as opposed to imported ones. Note the Thai labeling on the frozen turkey packaging.

PS0088.jpg

PS0089.jpg

PS0090.jpg

Also interesting to note they've put up a Thai language only website for their turkeys. Don't recall them having done that in the past.

https://www.tescolotus.com/turkey

22 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

Still no confirmed sighting of an imported turkey anywhere for sale, correct?

I've seen imported Norbert turkeys at 2 of the Rampings in town so far.  Recently they have removed the outer packaging and re-wrapped them.  When I asked about this the staff said it might have something to do with taxes.  Perhaps it also has something to do with a US turkey embargo?  Anyway, there are a few turkeys around but they're not cheap.

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From all appearances, I'd say Tesco is selling Thai turkeys as opposed to imported ones. Note the Thai labeling on the frozen turkey packaging.

PS0088.jpg

PS0089.jpg

PS0090.jpg

Also interesting to note they've put up a Thai language only website for their turkeys. Don't recall them having done that in the past.

https://www.tescolotus.com/turkey

You better believe that all Thai turkeys are small and very tough. You would need to boil them for two hours and then brown them off in the oven. Time is based on size.

You better believe that all Thai turkeys are small and very tough. You would need to boil them for two hours and then brown them off in the oven. Time is based on size.

The label says Tesco, making me hope it might be an English bird. Get one delivered tomorrow pm. I will then post pictures of it and let you know.

2 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

The label says Tesco, making me hope it might be an English bird. Get one delivered tomorrow pm. I will then post pictures of it and let you know.

I dont believe they are British turkeys ,as the packaging is different from

what they sell in UK, there they have Union Jack on the bag.but looking

forward to your report when you receive yours.

regards Worgeordie

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I dont believe they are British turkeys ,as the packaging is different from

what they sell in UK, there they have Union Jack on the bag.but looking

forward to your report when you receive yours.

regards Worgeordie

The ones offered on the Tesco Thai website have a Thai language label printed on the bag containing the turkey. So I'm guessing that likely means NOT UK sourced.

3 hours ago, luther said:

A person in the meat business says Butterballs are being smuggled in from Laos where they were purchased for 130 baht per kg.  The black market markup is 400-600 baht. 

It makes lamb and smoked salmon look like a steal.

Except no one here has reported seeing any anywhere in Thailand this season.

Where would they be going to??  I never took Uncle and Friends for being turkey men!

Interesting development:

Just got in the mail today Foodland supermarket's latest promotional flyer that has the whole top half of the front page labeled with "Thanksgiving Preparation."

Underneath the big headline, they have a list of pre-cooked Thanksgiving dinner items that they're selling: BBQ Ham, stuffing, gravy, roast chicken, pork roast, roast goose, roast duck, roast rack of lamb, beef tenderloin in bacon.

Guess what's entirely missing from their promotional list????  TURKEYS!!!!  Absolutely none shown or listed.

And normally, in past years, they always made a big deal of offering for sale turkey thanksgiving dinners, both for takeout and served in their coffee shops.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 27/10/2016 at 8:46 AM, StefanBBK said:

Where are Turkeys available in Bangkok? Checked Makro and Foodland, but nothing, maybe in a different branch? Don't care if Butterball or Norbest, but really would like to have one or two for Xmas!!!!

Central Chitlom always has a couple of freezers full of the fabled 'Butterball' turkeys at very low prices as I remember?

Say, Wilted One, we are on edible turkeys here, not any kind of beef.  And, IMO, your comments about the beef of the world are biased and without foundation.  Some beef from OZ is OK, some Argentine beef OK, much USA beef OK.

It (bife de corizo) is the same cut as what you may know as top loin, sirloin steak, strip steak, N.Y. strip, etc.

Got it yet?  We want turkeys!

3 hours ago, Wilted Flower of Scotland said:

Central Chitlom always has a couple of freezers full of the fabled 'Butterball' turkeys at very low prices as I remember?

Not this year, they don't. Was there looking the other day, and posted the pics earlier in this thread.

Only turkeys they had were two brands of Thai ones. Store staff told me, NO U.S. turkeys at all this year for them.

1 hour ago, DonaldBattles said:

I think you are forgetting that previously I was a lobbyist for Computer Sciences Corporation in Washington D.C.

Don, maybe you know the answer to this...

The supposed reason I've heard for no U.S. turkeys in Thailand the past two years is Thai fear that some kind of poultry virus will be passed to the Thai poultry stocks, is that right?

So, if that's the case, can that kind of thing be passed along via already slaughtered, processed and frozen turkeys -- as opposed to fresh ones???

Do the Thais really have any legitimate health concern here? Or this is just some kind of political B.S.?