3BB Fiber Service Impressive

Richard-BKK

Very impressed with 3BB service, since two days I had a problem that all lights go out on my Huawei HG8045 fiber-channel router for a few minutes… It was never a serious issue and had the idea if it would not resolve within a few days I would call 3BB Support.

Today I got a call from 3BB out of the blue, asking me if I have connection problems… So I said that I had some disconnects for a few seconds ~ minutes… They said we investigated the source of the problem and if they could visit my resident…

When they came to my home they checked the fiber channel and after 15 minutes concluded that our Huawei HG8045 router was faulty… and they replaced it with a shiny new Huawei HG8245A…

Everything now works now very well…

Edited by Richard-BKK

Guess this every problem has his time to fix, my Fiber-Cable is about 1 kilometer from the first distribution point. I can imagine, if the cable was the issue - it would have taken a lot more time to fix... Even with the latest technology we cannot detect where a problem with a fiber-cable has happened... so manual inspection for one kilometer of fiber cable and taking X-rays would at least take 2 days...

So I'm lucky... but service is still very good

Exact locations of breaks in cable/fiber/etc., are easy to detect....only the use of a  Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) which have been around for a long time....just as Electronic Time Domain Reflectometer for test of copper cable breaks has been around a long time.   Heck I used them in my younger working days....very simple to use. 

The basic principle of operation is a pulse is injected into the line, at the break the pulse is partially/fully reflected, and the time to reflect back to the OTDR is measured which is converted to a distance.   So, if the OTDR says the break is 225 meters (or whatever distance) down the line then you go look at that 225M point.    Similar to how radar works...and how simple infrared and ultrasonic distance measurement devices work which you can buy at a hardware store to make distance measurements....they just measure the time from sending the pulse until it's reflected back to the sending instrument/transmitter.  

I'm sure companies like 3BB, AIS, True, etc., have and use OTDRs to located breaks as simple hand held OTDRs now days are not only a couple hundred U.S. dollars....but I doubt every crew carries one and they just get one from their central dispatch when they figure a break in the line has occurred and they can't visually located it by visually following the line along with use of other instruments they would routinely carry like an optical power meter.   I know the setup crew for my AIS fiber installation used a hand held optical "power" meter to check power levels at several points when running installing an approx 250M fiber run to my house....if they have optical power meters I'm sure they also have OTDRs for troubleshooting.

concluded that our Huawei HG8045 router was faulty… and they replaced it with a shiny new Huawei HG8245A…

I have both of these routers, the first with 3BB 100/30, the second with AIS 50/10.

The HG8245H is vastly superior in my experience. I'd love to get this one for my 3BB service.

I've always been satisfied with 3BB fiber and their service, although in all honesty I haven't had to call them since it was installed a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...