Foreign investments to be promoted only when country has stability: PM

rooster59

10 hours ago, useronthenet said:

Thailand is a foreign dependent country in every way:-

Exports to foreign countries  - mostly food produce like rice etc

Tourism - again dependent on foreigners to boost the economy

Foreign investment - crucial for the development of the country

I always find it amusing that a country so dependent on foreigners, is yet still willing to bite the hand that feeds them.

The global economy has created foreign-dependency in most countries. Even in the best economies, two facts exist: 1)  they produce more than they consume and 2) they consume  more than they produce.

12 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Cant have a coherent economy when you have an incoherent PM and his pseudo government

he is correctly commenting that foreign investment will be promoted only when the country is stable. this statement recognises shortcomings.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

The global economy has created foreign-dependency in most countries. Even in the best economies, two facts exist: 1)  they produce more than they consume and 2) they consume  more than they produce.

you may be surprised how foreign dependent some other countries are .thailand  has large based local economy and hence her dependence on foreign countries is more modest.

I don't think he speaks English, that word was probably inserted by a Thai reporter flicking through an English dictionary.

Prayoot thinks he can speak English. For a sample, search for his encounter with Samantha Hawley of ABC Australia. It may not be available in Thailand. It seems just after that encounter Sam Hawley had visa problems and does not cover Thailand any more.

28 minutes ago, sahibji said:

you may be surprised how foreign dependent some other countries are .thailand  has large based local economy and hence her dependence on foreign countries is more modest.

I was responding to useronthenet who said, "Thailand is a foreign dependent country in every way . . . "-

Although, the new TV format does make it more difficult to not take a comment out of context.

44 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

Prayoot thinks he can speak English. For a sample, search for his encounter with Samantha Hawley of ABC Australia. It may not be available in Thailand. It seems just after that encounter Sam Hawley had visa problems and does not cover Thailand any more.

The said interview...

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4209462.htm

I hope it does not break forum rules

16 hours ago, useronthenet said:

I always find it amusing that a country so dependent on foreigners, is yet still willing to bite the hand that feeds them.

Thailand does not need you or any forang believe me it would survive perfectly well without western interferiance or money 

12 hours ago, Bender said:

Recently i was chatting with a friend, student at Kasert university. We did talk about the thai economy. Actually the situation is very very pretty bad. 

The govt is actually in panic mode, the thai bank are completely dried. There is a huge loan crunch. Many projects have been suspended. Bank can not lend money anymore.

Hint: It might get really worst..... let see...

The hint is that Prayut keeps telling Thais they need to pay more tax. That means the government needs money.

I am also surprised at the high cost of living in Thailand. I suspect the Baht needs a correction. 1997 all again some time soon?

19 hours ago, useronthenet said:

I always say the same thing whenever someone in the Thai government says that the US or EU or the UN or whoever should mind their own business and not tell Thailand what to do.  

When you can take care of yourself, then you can tell people to go pound sand.  As long as everybody else is paying the bills, quit acting like a petulant teenager.  

They were able to get away with their behavior for many decades because Burma was off limits (junta), Laos was off limits (communist), Cambodia was still reeling from Pol Pot, and Vietnam was untouchable (communist).  Anybody who wanted to do business in the region had to go through Thailand and put up with all of the BS that came along with it.  But now Burma/Myanmar is opening up, Cambodia seems to finally be getting a foothold, and Vietnam is throwing open the doors and welcoming trade.  

Thailand, you're not the only girl at the school dance anymore.  

And, really, the funniest part in all of this is that when the US and others warned Thailand that until there was a return to democracy that they would be holding off on any new deals with Thailand, there was lots of ranting and raving in the Thai government about not being lectured to by foreigners.  Now, it sound like the PM has finally figured it out (maybe).

3 hours ago, MaiChai said:

The hint is that Prayut keeps telling Thais they need to pay more tax. That means the government needs money.

I am also surprised at the high cost of living in Thailand. I suspect the Baht needs a correction. 1997 all again some time soon?

If things go south for Thailand, 1997 may look like a blessing compared to what happens.  Back in 1997, Thailand was still pretty much the only place western countries could do business with in the region.  Now there are more options and between the political instability, mounting terrorism, anti-foreigner attitudes towards businesses, and, ultimately, a collapse of the economy, they may lose business that simply will never return.  

They're already heading down this path.  For instance, Thailand makes a lot of hard drives.  They tout this as a sign of their technological expertise and as a source of national pride.  But most companies making flash storage (solid state drives, flash drives, etc) are setting up in Vietnam.  It may take a decade or so but slowly computer manufacturers will quit using hard drives and start using more solid state drives.  Your phone uses solid state storage, your iPad has a solid state drive, many Macs ship either with only a solid state drive or a hybrid solid state and traditional hard drive config.  

Thailand is the leader in a declining market.  The next advancement is already here and they were too busy fighting amongst each other to see it or prevent the business from going to another country.  

And it's not just in hi-tech.  Look at rice farming.  Vietnam and India have been flooding the market with rice.  They are far less sensitive to allowing foreigners to get into the business which means they'll likely get access to research and investments that lower their production costs.  Meanwhile Thailand has sheltered rice farming which impedes productivity improvements.  It's not too far fetched to think that India or Vietnam could be producing better quality, lower cost rice by 2025 or 2030.

Now, if you throw in some sort of economic crisis, a baht collapse, or something like that, many foreign investors may just bail on Thailand early and accelerate the decline.  When things are going relatively good, people tend to look for reasons to stay the course.  When there's a major negative shakeup, they look for reasons to bail and more and more analysis will point to a negative long-term outlook for Thailand.   

8 hours ago, sahibji said:

Are you serious?  Currently, exports account for over two thirds of the Thai GDP.  

And the large based local economy that you speak of, I assume you mean domestic, is so leveraged at the moment they can't afford to buy anything else.  They've been given cheap money and other perks to load themselves up on debt in an attempt to spur domestic demand but now household debt is near total GDP.  Thais are choking on debt.  There's no more gas in that engine.  

4 hours ago, icare999 said:

Thailand does not need you or any forang believe me it would survive perfectly well without western interferiance or money 

Survive yes but wouldnt you agree many thais have become accustomed to a higher standard of living, this being brought on by foreign trade and investment? But maybe more importantly havent

they grown accustomed to a level of convenience and ease due to the fact that almost everything laborous is being done by migrant workers that are at best treated like life stock. I might be out of my depth but I see so many thais not really having to make an effort in any way.

Edited by Kaalle

15 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Merely a dictator everything is scripted and rehursed. Yes that's exactly his game he is no leader of any  democracy. Oh well the Thais will learn. Prayut send his regime can't hide behind paper forever.

Edited by performance

11 hours ago, icare999 said:

When I see a statement like this, it just confirms the sorry state of the educational system. The focus is on nationalism and xenophobia as opposed critical thinking. As already been detailed here, 70% of the economy is exports and 20% is tourism. Take that away, and we are back to a feudal agrarian society (the fact that the current government seems to be headed that way is a whole other discussion...)