Beware Gas Scam!

PATTAYAPUNTER

This particular Shell station has come under scrutiny in the past for the same scam--see letters. (http://www.pattayamail.com/630/letters.shtml).

Typically, the gas attendant fills your tank and then you pay whatever the meter reads, right? Well you should probably check to see that the meter was actually reset before the attendant starts to fill.

It happened to me yesterday (11/23). Although I usually check the meter, I was distracted by a skirt in the wind and before it was all over, my motorbike's tank was full at nearly 85 baht. I've never been able to fill it beyond 55! So someone's pocketed my 30bt. Over a few hours, that's a nice profit. Beware.

This particular Shell station has come under scrutiny in the past for the same scam--see letters. (http://www.pattayamail.com/630/letters.shtml).

Typically, the gas attendant fills your tank and then you pay whatever the meter reads, right? Well you should probably check to see that the meter was actually reset before the attendant starts to fill.

It happened to me yesterday (11/23). Although I usually check the meter, I was distracted by a skirt in the wind and before it was all over, my motorbike's tank was full at nearly 85 baht. I've never been able to fill it beyond 55! So someone's pocketed my 30bt. Over a few hours, that's a nice profit. Beware.

I believe there was another thread last year about this same station.

Pattaya Tai, just past the Phone Company on the left side towards Sukhumvit?

Its not just Pattaya Guys its all over, a good Point for all to beware... :o

Well this is nothing new , as it has happened to me. I check the meter each time now.

Another thing to lookout for is fuel tampering, cheap chemicals added to increase profits happens here also. So remember where you last filled up. If it starts running rough this is why.

That's the one and they they were busted about 2 Months ago for doing it. I have actually witnessed this too. The way they do it is they fill a MC for 70 or 80 baht then a car pulls up on the other side of the bowser. Before the driver even looks at the bowser the attendant is pumping the petrol. He did not clear the meter and therefore pockets the 70/80 baht difference. Do that all day and theres a few grand there. I watch em like a hawk.

inconvienient as it is , I don't fill there anymore.........self imposed bann

police where involved and I got a refund of 100baht when the contents of my tank didn't meet what i paid for.

• 2 weeks later...

I've almost fell victim to this scam.

I drive a car, so my fill-ups are generally around 1,000 baht and not 60. I drove up and noticed that after pumping only for a few seconds, the meter already read 280 baht. I caught this right away, and began reprimanding the attendent (thankfully I speak Thai). I wound up paying only 1,000 baht for a 1,200 fill-up. I probably lost a few baht, but from here on in, I will always tell them to reset it to zero.

Those with locking gas caps will eventually have more control over this situation, as it's up to you when they actually stick the nozzle into your car. If they can open the cap, they usually begin filling up before you even tell them how much you want.

They're typical scammers trying to even out the distribution of wealth. Beware.

Edited by Hobgoblin

I've lost two screw in filler caps because the attendant forgot to put them back and flipped the little door closed before before I even noticed.

The GF now stands outside and checks the pump reading is zero, orders up 1000 baht of 91 then tells me to open the door from the switch inside the car, when 1000 baht of petrol is in she watches them put the screw cap back closes the panel door herself and re checks the total amount before she hands over a 1000 baht note, I don't even leave the car.

Way to go :o

I've lost two screw in filler caps because the attendant forgot to put them back and flipped the little door closed before before I even noticed.

That reminds me of a funny story (funny now, but not at the time) when I lost a filler cap the same way in Australia.

I lost a fuel tank too!

Why? Because I went to the Mazda spare parts department to get a new cap, and they failed to mention that my model required a vented fuel cap and they gave me one that wasn't...and my fuel tank imploded.

I only found this out some time later when I ran out of fuel because I thought I should still have plenty not knowing my tank was smaller at that time....even more funny is I couldn't start the car up when I got a can of fuel...and started a fire by pouring a little on the hot carburetor. My sheepskin car seat cover took care of the fire.

Luckily after some wrangling with the Mazda dealership they admitted it was their error and they came to the party and paid for a new tank. I paid for the installation.

I was done for about 20-30 pesos myself at the Shell Station on 2nd Road just last week. Usually I check, but I didn't this time and ended up paying about 85 baht for less than half a tank.

Edited by tropo

same thing happened to me on 3-12-06. i have a honda jazz and was dropping my friend to the airport. At 9pm i went there, and though i might as well fill up. i normally keep half tank of petrol. i though i would stick in 500Bht with would top it up. well i was wrong, it didnt F#@king move. that needle must have moved a few mm up. So i banged in another 500bht with topped my tank. Now, 1000Bht worht of fuel and i already have half a tank, well F@#k them. better of sticking to the one next to Big C

I use them everyweek as i live in soi rangland across the road, too hard to go elsewhere and dont like the whiskey bottle (now theres a ripoff) i fill up and havent had a problem yet, always empty on the motosi and its 80b same if i fill elsewhere, havent filled the car there tho

I caught them at it once, complained and got the refund. Haven't been back since.

Shell has nothing to say about this constant abuse??? They must know by now if there have been so many complaints.

:D The same company making record profits? :o They're robbing the planet blind along with others!

I used that place once app. 5 years ago. I did not check but as I always fill when my tank gets to a certain level I KNOW i was overcharged. Nothing I could do about it as I was not expecting it and could prove nothing.

Thinking back later on I believe a motorbike had filled up just before I did and that the hose was not replaced in the meter before I was 'serviced'.

I would never use this place again.

The GF now stands outside and checks the pump reading is zero, orders up 1000 baht of 91 then tells me to open the door from the switch inside the car, when 1000 baht of petrol is in she watches them put the screw cap back closes the panel door herself and re checks the total amount before she hands over a 1000 baht note, I don't even leave the car.

Way to go :o

ooooo... noooooo.....!! now pattaya has a "dek pump" mafia too? maybe i won't relocate... unless i can train the gf to do the needful like rimmers. how much does she charge for that extra mate so I don't go over the top with mine?

years (and I mean many years) ago, these shell station ######s forgot to properly reseat the radiator cap on my accord after 'checking under the hood'. ###### near melted the engine as i was trying to get onto sukhumvit from center road (this before traffic lights). the car was automatic (1st in pattaya) and stalled, stuck in D in the path of thundering sip lors. needless to say, no grubby little tyke ever got me to pop my bonnet/hood ever again.

Another scam I've noticed recently is in Carrefours food court. You buy a card and when you are done you bring it back and they refund the balance on the card - I noticed some time ago they short changed me 10 baht so after that I decided to check the card balance every time and surely, every time they short changed me 10 baht. I only have to mention to them and they pay the remainder without having to check so it's surely no accident. Not a big deal but imagine what kind of "tip" that would make during a day ....

Unlike other countries like Australia where Government agencies such as "wieghts and measures" go around checking the output of these pumps, i am sure there is no checking of the calibration here in thailand and it could be easy for a station to adjust the pump in their favour, even 1 litre in 100 would make a fair earn.

A scam a few have been caught out at in Australia has been adding metholated spirits to a inground tank and then topping 1000-2000 litres of water with the fuel, the meths causes the water to mix with the petrol allowing it pass thru fuel systems as water wont pass thru fuel systems. ###### have i given them another way to make money now? :o

Australia has big problems with fuel tampering.

There was a piece on additives and short changing in petrol stations across Australia on A Current Affair and it is rampant. Only 17percent of stations were giving the correct amount and right blend of fuel.

Huge profits for unscrupulous operators.

If it is bad in Australia it is probably much worse in Thailand.

Another scam I've noticed recently is in Carrefours food court. You buy a card and when you are done you bring it back and they refund the balance on the card - I noticed some time ago they short changed me 10 baht so after that I decided to check the card balance every time and surely, every time they short changed me 10 baht. I only have to mention to them and they pay the remainder without having to check so it's surely no accident. Not a big deal but imagine what kind of "tip" that would make during a day ....

It's the perfect scam. You complain and they just refund with "I'm sorry..made a mistake". If you don't complain, they've just picked up some extra cash to pocket...they're not stupid.

This scam often occurs in bars too. Very few people inspect their bar tabs closely...and they pick their targets, people who have ordered a lot of drinks who may be drunk.

Edited by tropo

It's the perfect scam. You complain and they just refund with "I'm sorry..made a mistake". If you don't complain, they've just picked up some extra cash to pocket...they're not stupid.

This scam often occurs in bars too. Very few people inspect their bar tabs closely...and they pick their targets, people who have ordered a lot of drinks who may be drunk.

yep they tried it on me at a bar in patpong one night, they didnt even have the table numbers matching on the bills, added up to about 500b extra

Bill padding in bars is a major problem in Thailand.

Rule of thumb is that if you have more than 6 chits in your bin they will try it on.

It has happend so often in Pattaya that i always go over the bill very carefully.

I nearly always give a tip but when this is tried on i won't go back to the bar again and neither will they get one satang extra from me.

Bill padding in bars is a major problem in Thailand.

Rule of thumb is that if you have more than 6 chits in your bin they will try it on.

It has happend so often in Pattaya that i always go over the bill very carefully.

I nearly always give a tip but when this is tried on i won't go back to the bar again and neither will they get one satang extra from me.

After a while you may have very few bars to visit. It's usually the cashiers or waiters that organise these scams and it's very difficult for management to do anything about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Internal Trade Department to prevent cheating at petrol stations

BANGKOK: -- The Internal Trade Department will call a meeting Wednesday with Thailand's eight leading petrol station operators - PTT, Conoco, Caltex Oil, Esso Standard, Shell, BCP, Siam United Services and Petronas - to find measures to prevent cheating at fuel pumps.

Director-general Siripol Yodmuangcharoen said consumers had complained about petrol station employees overcharging them after filling their tanks.

The department and operators will find ways of cracking down on such illegal practices. Petrolstation owners will closely monitor their employees' service.

The ministry will also send an inspection team to work with petrol stations to uncover and punish dishonest employees, said Siripol

-- The Nation 2007-01-09