A conversation where it all clicked into place…

JJGreen

Do u remember a key conversation you have had in Thailand where something, anything, all clicked into place for you?

Could be with a Thai person or with another expat….anyone

I know I have had a few of them…

When I first came here, my dating success was poor. In talking about it with another expat, he made a comment about speaking slow & clear and making the conversation fun. It was so simple but hearing it from another was it all it took.

Sometimes it is obvious but takes the right conversation to be able to click into place

Maybe u can remember a key conversation you’ve had where everything came together?

if i cant be myself I dont want to know, fun? slow? clear? u  like me for what I am not what you want me to be or  u just dont like me.

Nothing clicked into place as I refused to turn my brain off and engage "empty/shallow"

When I first arrived in Thailand I "dated" a bar girl for a few months. As she was leaving my apartment one morning, beyond her usual stipend, she asked for taxi money. I pulled out two 100 baht bills and told her that's all I had until payday. She snatched it from my fingers, asked, "How you gonna eat?" and walked out the door. Snap! The light bulb came on!

The next week I started dating a maid at the school where I worked. Been married for 15 years now.

6 minutes ago, sturdyd said:

When I first arrived in Thailand I "dated" a bar girl for a few months. As she was leaving my apartment one morning, beyond her usual stipend, she asked for taxi money. I pulled out two 100 baht bills and told her that's all I had until payday. She snatched it from my fingers, asked, "How you gonna eat?" and walked out the door. Snap! The light bulb came on!

The next week I started dating a maid at the school where I worked. Been married for 15 years now.

Riveting.

6 hours ago, kannot said:

if i cant be myself I dont want to know, fun? slow? clear? u  like me for what I am not what you want me to be or  u just dont like me.

Nothing clicked into place as I refused to turn my brain off and engage "empty/shallow"

Your social/communication skills could use a little work...

First trip to Patty in 1995: Made all the "beginners mistakes" one can make. 2nd trip: Farang Bar owner (Walking Street/Soi Diamond) told me: "Around here it's all about money". He said it with conviction. This, combined with experiences I have  made for myself in the meantime, kept me from major harm.

Cheers.

All us Husbands and our sister-wives headed off for the day to Suphan Buri,

to see a Palm, who the family have been getting their futures read for decades...

A good day, except for one BIL, who drove one of the cars,

because his wife had tricked him we were supposedly going to see the Elephants.

He's a Turk Muslim, and hates anything buddhist - so he was doubly peeved, when we got to the actual destination.

Me?  -  well, all the wives, with the remaining BILs and me sitting behind...

Sangatan came and went, and the girls started getting the Palm Readings.

Palm then looks up, seeing me, something clicked...

he beckoned me forward, as it turned out he was a retire Airforce Officer,

and my wife had slipped about my own past career.

The girls shrank back as the Palm and I we having a jolly good old chat, about our days in uniform.

The round it all off, he presented me an L.P Jaran amulet ring, (see avatar),

which up till that day, had never left his finger for 27 years, since his time at Amphawan.

(don't mind the vertigris , as I cleaned the brass down, when I got home)

He gave it as he respected where I, as a budding potential buddhist, was coming from,

and he was the one who insisted I was the right one for missus

Missus it turned out later, was a bit perturbed by all the fuss the Palm had made out of meeting me.

As it turned out she then tried to twist the Palm, for her to find more to be able to make me into more of a silly falang.

What backfired on her was that the Palm, with no prior knowledge at all, spoke in detail of what I had gone though in the past:

- my bad luck on having an ex-wife philipine, cheating gold digger... it all came out - amazing!!

(the wife insists she never uttered anything to him about the ex)

Palm presented the Ring, in front of her,

and I have never dared take it off ever since - and that was mid 2012

Falang & Palm 1  - Wifey 0

she still to this day always threatens the ring will 'disappear', if i take it off and leave it around...

...and pre-announces it will have magically disappeared because the godhouse will be angry

Edited by tifino

Nice story

Came here in my 20's and genuinely truly believed it to be the LOS.  As a tourist it was.  Coming in my 40's on longer stays, and interacting with the not uncommon sullen retail staff, I realised the LOS thing is a bit of a mirage.