Who told her opening a coffee shop was a good idea?

JJGreen

Interesting.....a thread about coffee shops but absolutely no information on the costs or ins and outs of opening one! Just people bitching about where to park the gf and american express cards 5555. Am thinking of opening a small coffee shop for the wife here in Pattaya. Has anyone done the same and know of the costs? Including the machine I searched on the internet and I guess you need about 500k to start. PM me....I won't open one next to you!

We already have a cell phone case and accessories booth in the countryside in a Big C which the sister is looking after. Revenue on average about 120k a month, delete the rent, salary and cost of stock, petrol to go and buy the stock in bkk twice a month I guess we have about 50 to 60k in our pocket. We started with 400k for the 3 months rent and the stock and accessories...so within a year we should actually be making a profit and recovered all the costs. We did think about opening a phone case shop here but with Tuk Com and now Harbor Mall it seems pointless to fight with people that have already had a booth for years.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/6/2016 at 6:34 PM, MyFrenU said:

I don't think that you quite understand what 'Misandry' means,do you?

Something tells me that Miss Andrys avatar is not really her, I mean him.

That avatar looks like my first school teacher when I was five years old.

On 9/5/2016 at 8:43 AM, georgemandm said:

Can I just ask you this why would you give your wife a monthly allowance, I for one can't understand why western man give wife , partner, girlfriend a monthly allowance.

i have never ever give my other half money to be with me , not understand it , is it just a thing here in thailand?.

Ok back home if you have a wife or partner 

you give them money to do the weekly shopping I understand that , but here I have heard of this monthly allowance Bulls??? , my thai partner put it to me when I first meet her and my reply was I don't pay someone to be with me , if your not happy see you later.

i take good care of her yes , but I will not pay someone a monthly allowance.

"why would you give your wife a monthly allowance",

Because that is the only way the unattractive guys, or the members of the "fat, ugly, tattooed, facial haired brigade", can get laid.

On 9/5/2016 at 10:59 AM, HowardV said:

My wife and I opened a coffee shop about 8 years ago in Bangkok.  At the time, Amazon was just starting to take hold, but most people still did not know what an "espresso" or a "cappuccino" was.  I would order a double shot and was served two cups of coffee.  So, I said to my wife, "we should try running a small coffee shop near the international schools.  No one serves coffee at 7 a.m., when you actually need it, and I don't think most Thais have tasted a good cappuccino.  And we'll make it affordable."

That's what we did.  We charged 25 baht for an espresso, and milk and sugar didn't cost extra.  Based on the cost, it might have worked if we'd had a large volume of customers.  As it was, we couldn't get people to make the switch from instant street coffee to high quality fresh ground and pressed.  I even tried giving away free drinks to raise interest, but we still couldn't get enough customers to come in the door.  We eventually had to raise our prices.  Then we had to branch out and start selling food - toasted sandwiches at first, then muffins, cookies, fresh breads, and finally, dinner specials.

Well, after three years, we finally had to shut it down.  Now I try to discourage people from opening up coffee shops.  To make it work, you've either got to go really low (street cart selling Nescafe for 15 baht or less) or really high (average drinks at 60 baht with ambience and atmosphere).  Anywhere in the middle and you won't have the volume or be able to justify the price.  And now, with everyone and their dog opening coffee shops, the only good thing about it is that people finally know what the words "espresso" and "double shot" mean.

"We eventually had to raise our prices".

I bet you have lived in Thailand a very long time, raising your'e prices because trade has fallen off.:clap2:

On 9/5/2016 at 4:55 PM, MissAndry said:

It costs very little to start up a coffee shop. The only real expense is the coffee machine at 70k, which you can probably find second hand. Shopfront 5k a month, fridge and a counter. That's about it. Not much more than renting a condo. 100k and you're good to go. Running expenses no more than your normal condo.

A nice young Thai couple near me have just done it, built their own shop and accommodation on family land themselves. All the fittings made out of recycled scraps of Teak wood. If the shop doesn't work, they still have a nice house to live in. Really nicely fitted out, I'd be more than happy to live there.

BanPong Coffee

https://www.facebook.com/banpongcoffee/?fref=ts

A coffee machine at 70k?? You can buy a kettle for about 300 Bt in Big C.

I remember around 2003 helping my Thai GF to open a coffee shop in one of the ground-floor shop areas of the Emporium Building.  Business was so-so, but the rent of the shop was basically too high for the business.

I explained this all to the GF who went into a huff and went off to work in her coffee shop.

When she didn't return at the normal time, I went to the coffee shop, only to find it TOTALLY CLEARED OUT!  Every item that I had purchased (display cabinets, coffee machine etc) had gone and the shop was an empty shell.

I phoned my GF, but no reply.

Mysterfied, I returned to the condo that I shared with her, only to find that my condo was now also TOTALLY CLEARED OUT!!!  In the couple of hours when I left the condo to go to her coffee shop, she had cleared the condo, including my heavy treadmill exercise machine.

The condo management said that they had seen nothing LoL.......

Anyway, I grant that she was quite smart not only to sell the coffee shop assets, but to do a double-whammy and sell the condo assets as well.  That needed careful planning and timing, bit like the A-Team :)

57 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"why would you give your wife a monthly allowance",

Because that is the only way the unattractive guys, or the members of the "fat, ugly, tattooed, facial haired brigade", can get laid.

Ok so you are Mr me are you has not one thing with what this  topic is about at all .

I remember around 2003 helping my Thai GF to open a coffee shop in one of the ground-floor shop areas of the Emporium Building.  Business was so-so, but the rent of the shop was basically too high for the business.

I explained this all to the GF who went into a huff and went off to work in her coffee shop.

When she didn't return at the normal time, I went to the coffee shop, only to find it TOTALLY CLEARED OUT!  Every item that I had purchased (display cabinets, coffee machine etc) had gone and the shop was an empty shell.

I phoned my GF, but no reply.

Mysterfied, I returned to the condo that I shared with her, only to find that my condo was now also TOTALLY CLEARED OUT!!!  In the couple of hours when I left the condo to go to her coffee shop, she had cleared the condo, including my heavy treadmill exercise machine.

The condo management said that they had seen nothing LoL.......

Anyway, I grant that she was quite smart not only to sell the coffee shop assets, but to do a double-whammy and sell the condo assets as well.  That needed careful planning and timing, bit like the A-Team :)

What did you do to piss her off?

On ‎04‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 4:33 PM, lostinisaan said:

Did you accidentally answer to another post on the wrong page? Live and park your gf? Guess you meant leave and park, but even then it makes no sense. Sorry, I might haven't read that it's about bar girls here.

You're paying for your gf's friends' hair jobs? And what about the horny foreigners with more money?  A joke? 

Coffee shops pop up almost everywhere in our city and not to many people sit inside.

I've tried a coffee once, served in a plastic cup inside the shop. 

Edited to add:

It's the same with so many other shops here. One starts a business and it runs well. Then you can see a similar shop not far away and within a few months they're all over the city.

They don't seem to recognize that they destroy each other's business by doing so. 

Certainly would be to live if it was in a shophouse.

I'm sure many coffee shops are funded by the farang, because he doesn't want her hanging about gossiping and possibly playing away. Certainly I can't see many being a profitable business. The alternative of having her get a real job has serious drawbacks in LOS, as most involve working 6 days a week for sod all money.

12 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

What did you do to piss her off?

He implied that the money train was about to end. Obviously a long con given the amount of planning required.

I thought of removing all the stuff I had bought ( almost everything in the house ) when my ex told me to depart the house, but the logistics defeated me. I can't imaging doing it for two places in a few hours.

On ‎16‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 0:15 PM, reenatinnakor said:

Interesting.....a thread about coffee shops but absolutely no information on the costs or ins and outs of opening one! Just people bitching about where to park the gf and american express cards 5555. Am thinking of opening a small coffee shop for the wife here in Pattaya. Has anyone done the same and know of the costs? Including the machine I searched on the internet and I guess you need about 500k to start. PM me....I won't open one next to you!

We already have a cell phone case and accessories booth in the countryside in a Big C which the sister is looking after. Revenue on average about 120k a month, delete the rent, salary and cost of stock, petrol to go and buy the stock in bkk twice a month I guess we have about 50 to 60k in our pocket. We started with 400k for the 3 months rent and the stock and accessories...so within a year we should actually be making a profit and recovered all the costs. We did think about opening a phone case shop here but with Tuk Com and now Harbor Mall it seems pointless to fight with people that have already had a booth for years.

Probably won't get much if any serious information, because many on TV know that it's a silly idea, and should be approached in the same manner as anything else involving money and the usual suspects- only spend what you can afford to lose.

When you said Pattaya I didn't take you seriously. Have you counted how many places there sell coffee, including every barbeer? Not to forget every 7/11 and Family Mart. To make a difference to get the folks in you'd need something more special than a thousand other places and that would cost big time.

Unless you are thinking about the Darkside, of course, but that's not Pattaya as most of us think of it.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On ‎05‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 1:50 PM, MissAndry said:

I think you'll find those are Burmese (up north) or Cambodians (down south). Not many (any?) Thais in that lot.

Yes. My ( ex ) BIL/ SIL are in construction and often turned up at the house to do some work on it with a few Burmese in tow.

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Certainly would be to live if it was in a shophouse.

I'm sure many coffee shops are funded by the farang, because he doesn't want her hanging about gossiping and possibly playing away. Certainly I can't see many being a profitable business. The alternative of having her get a real job has serious drawbacks in LOS, as most involve working 6 days a week for sod all money.

And you think running a buisness which involves selling coffee is not a real job!!!. and it's a 7 day a week ocupation. And yes it is profitable 

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

And you think running a buisness which involves selling coffee is not a real job!!!. and it's a 7 day a week ocupation. And yes it is profitable 

I don't consider selling coffee a real business any more than I consider hairdressing or selling fashion a real business, but that's a subject too long to discuss here and also off topic.

On ‎05‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 9:33 AM, Phaeton said:

Other interesting to me is how much money put into making their coffee shop something to rival Disneyland. With impressive concrete sculptures etc. Just wonder if anyone has done the math on how long it will take to recoup that investment.

Spoke to several people who see the price of rubber go up, plant rubber trees, then price collapses because of so much competition. Hard to find a monopoly. Probably people who have one, don't talk about it.

But happy to read some people here do it right.

Getting back to the question of why people do the coffee shop idea. I was speaking to the owner of a couple guesthouses. His wife was considering building a pool for the guests. I was trying to convince them not to do it, I said to the farang husband, the goal of the business is to make money right? I was a bit shocked when he answered that no, not really, it is to have something to do.

So maybe people just have to have a goal and a purpose? Once you have the retired farang, with the Thai girl who really doesn't have to work, you run out of things to keep you busy.

You underestimate the need for purpose in life. I could have just resided in the family house, done nothing to it and been substantially better off financially when it ended. But the idea of just watching tv and going to Big C held no appeal.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't consider selling coffee a real business any more than I consider hairdressing or selling fashion a real business, but that's a subject too long to discuss here and also off topic.

Well we will agree to strongly disagree everything you mentioned are bonified businesses taking long hours to run. your idea of a real buisness must be something to behold. A buisness is a buisness if it makes money and funds itself regardless of what the buisness is then it's a good buisness. 

Just now, Deepinthailand said:

Well we will agree to strongly disagree everything you mentioned are bonified businesses taking long hours to run. your idea of a real buisness must be something to behold. A buisness is a buisness if it makes money and funds itself regardless of what the buisness is then it's a good buisness. 

Agreed that anything making money is a business, but I did say REAL business. IMO the examples I gave are makework for idle hands more than contributing to society. Farming is a REAL business.

However, like I said off topic.

On 11/18/2016 at 0:19 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Probably won't get much if any serious information, because many on TV know that it's a silly idea, and should be approached in the same manner as anything else involving money and the usual suspects- only spend what you can afford to lose.

When you said Pattaya I didn't take you seriously. Have you counted how many places there sell coffee, including every barbeer? Not to forget every 7/11 and Family Mart. To make a difference to get the folks in you'd need something more special than a thousand other places and that would cost big time.

Unless you are thinking about the Darkside, of course, but that's not Pattaya as most of us think of it.

Yes I've counted the amount of coffee shops, restaurants, cell phone shops, fruit shake stalls, noodle stalls, girly bars, bistros, cafes, bakeries, nail salons, hair salons etc etc....There is not one thing in Thailand that does not have a 1000 places of that thing already. They are all followers and not leaders. But we not looking to make billions, just a few k usd is cool.

On November 15, 2016 at 11:15 PM, reenatinnakor said:

There is a coffee shop inside Big C Express on Klang that displays and sells espresso machines. It is on the ground floor towards the carpark, opposite Mr. Donut.

the machine prices are slightly less,  it is almost comparable to what one pays for an imported Italian machine in the states. so, for a two head espresso machine about $100k THB. That outfit also has a list of supplies needed to open a kiosk or shop.

I think it is kind of funny how so many often assume that if a Thai-woman owns a shop, then it has to have been financed by her Farang partner. My wife has her own shop, where she works alone 6 days per week. (10-12 hours per day). It is a Fish/Aquarium Shop.

She has 100% fully financed the shop herself (Around THB 300.000 to setup) and she makes approx. THB 12.000 - 18.000 in profit per month right now. Not much for all the work she puts in it, but it is her hobby and she is very proud of her business. Although I miss her at home, I admire her risk-taking, dedication, pride and all the hard work she does. (in her shop and at home)

Just to say that not all Thai-women are lazy and require financing from their farang partner to make a business. 

Edited by khunpa

1 hour ago, khunpa said:

I think it is kind of funny how so many often assume that if a Thai-woman owns a shop, then it has to have been financed by her Farang partner. My wife has her own shop, where she works alone 6 days per week. (10-12 hours per day). It is a Fish/Aquarium Shop.

She has 100% fully financed the shop herself (Around THB 300.000 to setup) and she makes approx. THB 12.000 - 18.000 in profit per month right now. Not much for all the work she puts in it, but it is her hobby and she is very proud of her business. Although I miss her at home, I admire her risk-taking, dedication, pride and all the hard work she does. (in her shop and at home)

Just to say that not all Thai-women are lazy and require financing from their farang partner to make a business. 

Ok you are one in a million 

not much return for all that work but up to her 

no one side all Thai woman are lazy 

but most  thai woman except a free hand out from a western I have seen it time after time .

what gets me if that western was back home with hers western wife or girlfriend her would not put all that money in to a thai woman 

9 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Ok you are one in a million 

not much return for all that work but up to her 

no one side all Thai woman are lazy 

but most  thai woman except a free hand out from a western I have seen it time after time .

what gets me if that western was back home with hers western wife or girlfriend her would not put all that money in to a thai woman 

I think it is very much based on setting financial and personal limits from the very start of the relationship. To me Thai-women are not very different from other women in this world, when it comes to wanting to work and also help support the family. But, as you also mention, and for some strange reason, I see many men who end up treating their Thai-partner very different than they normally would. (paying for it all).

I dont know if it is the fear of losing the woman or believing that she is culturally so different, that she has to be provided for and is entitled to do nothing. Maybe it is a combination of both or something else??

Sure, I pay most of our bills, but my wife earns the best she can and pays her fair share based on the size of her income. At one point in our relationship (when I was jobless), she actually was the only provider and fully supported me. From my point of view, Its not a "one in a million" thing. Its about not being afraid, as the man, to set some ground and reasonable rules from the very beginning. Just like anyone would in a relationship back home. I am also sure you end up in a better relationship and get more respect, if you do that. I doubt many Thai-men would just accept their partner sitting around watching TV-shows all day.

Edited by khunpa

5 hours ago, khunpa said:

I think it is very much based on setting financial and personal limits from the very start of the relationship. To me Thai-women are not very different from other women in this world, when it comes to wanting to work and also help support the family. But, as you also mention, and for some strange reason, I see many men who end up treating their Thai-partner very different than they normally would. (paying for it all).

I dont know if it is the fear of losing the woman or believing that she is culturally so different, that she has to be provided for and is entitled to do nothing. Maybe it is a combination of both or something else??

Sure, I pay most of our bills, but my wife earns the best she can and pays her fair share based on the size of her income. At one point in our relationship (when I was jobless), she actually was the only provider and fully supported me. From my point of view, Its not a "one in a million" thing. Its about not being afraid, as the man, to set some ground and reasonable rules from the very beginning. Just like anyone would in a relationship back home. I am also sure you end up in a better relationship and get more respect, if you do that. I doubt many Thai-men would just accept their partner sitting around watching TV-shows all day.

Yes very true I agree, but you are lucky man that your thai help out when you had no work , not  many do .

not sure were you come from but back in my country Australia most  couples put in to help each other out ( and yes it can go to s??? And the man losses money but the same go's for here ) I just see it like this thai woman are very good at  manipulation of a man by the way of sex and most thai woman like to control everything in the house hold , I have seen it were the thai woman takes control of the money bosses the thai man around and I think lots of thai woman do it to there western  partner  .

Yes very true lay the rules down from the start like I have now with my new thai lady and if you tell her from the start that this is how it is , she can't complain later on in the relationship.

i understood why man get suck into thai pussy I have been there , but not now I will not let a woman , be it thai or from the west control me again.

think could be the  colour of there skin or the way they look after there man when he is around,

but I can't understand how someone can sell the lot back home and come to a  foreign country and try to live with out trying it out for 1 to 3 years first.

and after that time you would have a good idea if you can make it here in thailand,

One thing I would not do , is what  thai woman think every west man should do is come here and

buy a car in her name

buy a home in her name

buy land in her name 

buy lots of gold 

and the worst thing west man do is give his partner a  retainer every month like 20,000 thai bht is a joke , ok you pay all the bills and give her some  spending money that is ok but giveing your partner money every month is just like paying for sex , it dose not happen back home , most women work and put in not like here and if your wife dose not work and stays home with the kids you don't give her cash every month you just pay the bills by  Credit card and you can see were your money goes .

you see I tell it as I have seen it and have had the story's told to me and read lots about thailand in books and on the internet , but I like to see it with my own eyes as well and I have .

I get run down on here when I tell it as I see it , but that is from man who are  blinded and don't like the truth and I have never ever lied here on TV it is how I have seen it .

look if a man comes here and loves it , ok up to them , but try it first as I was saying and if you are happy go for it , but don't try and run your own country down to use it as  I excuse to live in thailand and if someone gets on TV and tells it how it is seen stop running them down because you are unhappy with the truth.

like I have said I tryed it and can't live here full time I  add  meet it .

lots on here will block you out because you tell it as you see it and those people don't like you telling  the truth and that's why they block you .

And good on them because the truth hurts.