Dane remains imprisoned in Thailand

webfact

35 minutes ago, greenchair said:

His house , cars and various other objects were sold off. Not only that his thai wife was put in prison. 

He ran a ganja coffee shop in his country which is legal. However he did not pay his taxes. The Thai authorities imprisoned he and his wife and confiscated all their property because that business is illegal in Thailand. All of his assets are sold off by authorities,  If he were to win in supreme court, he would be able to sue for compensation every man and his dog. Highly unlikely he will win in supreme Court. There's too much at stake. 

You mixed it up. This is about a Danish guy. Not about the Dutch couple a few weeks ago. But similar case

Edited by sweatalot

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew one foreigner who was accused of robbing a house, he said that he did not do it and after being in jail for 4 years the judge finally agreed that he was not guilty and released him.

The courts and jails are just another corrupt money making machine.

1 hour ago, pookiki said:

Yes, the article is very strange.  Normally, a person who is found innocent in a lower or lower courts will be granted bail pending appeal. Even Thais found guilty initially are granted bail pending appeals. There is something (or a lot of things) that is definitely missing in this article.

Foreigners are nearly always refused bail, that's because they are foreigners. Yes he was found innocent by the lower court but the prosecutor has appealed therefore he is back to being guilty until the high court says otherwise, so he must remain in jail.

And yes, Thai who have been accused or found guilty of murder are allowed bail.

Extremely confusing and badly written but it in my opinion it can only be explained as follows:

He was arrested under an international warrant at the request of the Danes.

He must also have had a case running for something ' financial ' in the Thai courts. In both the provincial and appeal court he has won his case.Obviously, the prosecutor is thinking differently or is possibly being vindictive as he does not suffer either way as a case trudges through the courts in Thailand, so has appealed to the Supreme court.

At both of these courts he was entitled to bail. He could not be granted bail because simultaneously, he was being held on behalf of Denmark, who have requested his repatriation for fraud and VAT charges to the tune of over $1.3 million USD. That is the reason he is not on bail. The Danes will obviously not drop the international  arrest warrant.

A Supreme court case takes years upon years in Thailand and quite possibly up to 8 years, especially if it is not a priority matter to the Thais, which it isn't.

Posts regarding cell and food charges accumulating are just nonsense. There are no charges at all, there is also no decent food and foreign prisoners must buy their own to survive in good health or as best they can. It is an unusual case but it does appear on the surface, that this guy attracts or gets involved in ' dodgy dealings '

Edited by Scouse123

18 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

foreign prisoners must buy their own to survive in good health or as best they can.

That explains why i saw loads and loads of new restaurants at the road to the Bang Kwan prison in Nonthaburi. I allready wondered why they all opened up there, do they have personell to get food for them outside?

This report confused the hell out of me!

I suggest the trainee reporter has misunderstood and mistranslated much of what she's heard.

Here's something I just found from 7 Nov, 2014...

Phuket Immigration Police received an order from the Thailand Immigration Bureau headquarters in Bangkok on October 28 to track down and arrest Peter Jensen, 48, as he was wanted by Interpol on an arrest warrant issued by the court in Hjorring, Denmark, explained Phuket Immigration Chief Sunchai Chokkajaykij yesterday.

“Mr Jensen was arrested early this morning at a restaurant in Pa Khlok, after we were informed that he was seen there,” he said.

“Officers presented themselves and asked to see his identification. Mr Jensen failed to provide any, so police arrested him and transported him to Phuket Immigation in Phuket Town.”

Read more here:  http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Danish-fugitive-expat-arrested-Phuket-B45mn-taxevasion/38395

Well, that didn't happen, did it!

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

This was published in Phuket Gazette on the day of his arrest in 2014. 

"According to records, Mr Jensen arrived in Thailand on August 3, 2010 via Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok. He extended his permit-to-stay multiple times, with the last one expiring on April 24, 2013.
“He has been charged with overstaying his visa,” said Col Sunchai. “We are now in the process of handing him over to Interpol.”

So that could explain why they still keep him in prison even if its still very strange. 

OK I found more information that could explain why he still is in Thailand '

"What makes it difficult to transfer him to Denmark is, that among the complications in the case is a two year sentence for fraud that he according to sources has been sentenced by the Thai court. The case allegedly involved four or five cases of fraud committed in Thailand and raised by the Thai public prosecutor against him.

On LinkedIn, Peter Jensen’s profil stil shows him as CEO of SPCE Co., Ltd., the company where he was selling pre-cast concrete elements for projects. The company used to have a website named www.pryter.com which has been taken down."

So he has commited a crime in Thailand with a Thai registered business, so no wonder they want to keep him for a while. 

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/media-focus-on-dane-in-thai-prison/113587/

21 hours ago, balo said:

"What makes it difficult to transfer him to Denmark is, that among the complications in the case is a two year sentence for fraud that he according to sources has been sentenced by the Thai court. The case allegedly involved four or five cases of fraud committed in Thailand and raised by the Thai public prosecutor against him.

On LinkedIn, Peter Jensen’s profil stil shows him as CEO of SPCE Co., Ltd., the company where he was selling pre-cast concrete elements for projects. The company used to have a website named www.pryter.com which has been taken down."

So he has commited a crime in Thailand with a Thai registered business, so no wonder they want to keep him for a while. 

no sympathy for him

21 hours ago, balo said:

Except that he's been acquitted twice of the alleged crimes in Thailand. I can only think he screwed over some important (Thai) people and they're not letting a couple of pesky losses in court stand in their way from getting payback. 

Such a contrast in treatment.

I hear cases of people being found guilty and sentenced to jail, but never seem to end up in there, yet here is someone apparently acquitted, yet unable to get out, albeit presumably to be deported.

Five to eight years is also shameful.

acquitted in what case, the case from his home country?  Is there case (s) pending against him in Thailand?  Can't quite be sure from the article so I don't want to assume anything.  Now he has incurred costs while being in prison that he can't or won't pay, but are those lawsuits that he has to deal with and he can't simply pay up and go back to Denmark?

15 hours ago, FloridaExport said:

It's a curious situation. Whenever a rich Thai person gets arrested, they are free on bail until the supreme court hearing. I wonder if he had the same option. If he is found not guilty by the supreme court, will they somehow add 9 years to his life as compensation?

Yes, this whole situation sounds a bit fishy. Sounds like someone had an ax to grind. Or he was unwilling to pay the right people? Bizarre. And strange that the Danish government either refuses to get involved, or is not able to do anything for him.

16 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

8 years in a Thai prison while going through the Thai (in)justice system because of a debt he owes the Dutch government - is there something I'm missing?? :blink:

Just want to point out that you got the wrong nationality, it's the Danish that're after him. ;)

1 hour ago, Familyaffairs said:

Hello ! Danish, not Dutch. You must be American...

18 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, it was the Danish government.

17 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

Just want to point out that you got the wrong nationality, it's the Danish that're after him. ;)

Yes, yes, I was corrected 16 hours ago, mere minutes after I posted. Do try to keep up. :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

8 years in a Thai prison while going through the Thapartiesustice system because of a debt he owes the Dutch government - is there something I'm missing?? :blink:

It seems there Is a lot missing.  What's his embassy/consulate doing.  Sorry, they attend cocktail paeties and pi$$ ups, not assist their citizens.  My mistake.

Unable to edit typos since the TV upgrade.

22 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

Danish ? peach is my # 1  ....................mmmmmmm.....peach Danish .....mmmmmmmm....

Edited by mikiea