Duterte tells Obama not to question him about killings 

webfact

Duterte tells Obama not to question him about killings 
TERESA CEROJANO, Associated Press

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte warned President Barack Obama on Monday not to question him about extrajudicial killings, or "son of a bitch I will swear at you" when they meet in Laos during a regional summit.

Duterte said before flying to Laos that he is a leader of a sovereign country and is answerable only to the Filipino people. He was answering a reporter's question about how he intends to explain the extrajudicial killings to Obama. More than 2,000 suspected drug pushers and users have been killed since Duterte launched a war on drugs after taking office on June 30.

In his typical foul-mouthed style, Duterte responded: "I am a president of a sovereign state and we have long ceased to be a colony. I do not have any master except the Filipino people, nobody but nobody. You must be respectful. Do not just throw questions. Putang ina I will swear at you in that forum," he said, using the Tagalog phrase for son of a bitch.

Duterte has earlier cursed the pope and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

It isn't clear whether Obama plans to raise the issue of extrajudicial killings with Duterte during a meeting on the sidelines of the summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

"Who is he to confront me?" Duterte said, adding that the Philippines had not received an apology for misdeeds committed during the U.S. colonization of the Philippines.

He pointed to the killing of Muslim Moros more than a century ago during a U.S. pacification campaign in the southern Philippines, blaming the wounds of the past as "the reason why (the south) continues to boil" with separatist insurgencies.

Duterte also pointed to human rights problems in the United States.

Last week, Duterte said he was ready to defend his bloody crackdown on illegal drugs, which has sparked concern from the U.S. and other countries.

Duterte said he would demand that Obama allow him to first explain the context of his crackdown before engaging the U.S. president in a discussion of the deaths.

The White House had no immediate reaction to Duterte's comments. Obama has been attending a meeting of the Group of 20 nations in Hangzhou, China.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-05

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Raymonddiaz said:

mark my words: He's close to his grave. You can't spit to everyone. Someone gonna silence him soon

I have beethinking the same thing. 

Assuming he is actuslly calling all the shots and not a front man for some powerful people. 

Sure seems like there is a complete reorganization of crime syndicates going on. 

For decades the Philippines has been an embarrassment , and certainly needs a fresh look and leadership, from Marcos onwards, things went downhill even more. You had the idiots from the corrupt to the film stars vying for political dominance, all had one thing in their minds $$$$$$ not for the country but for themselves.

They now have this idiot, who is not a politician, nor is he diplomatic or well educated he is a poorly educated dictator. 

Whilst I tend to agree that the Philippines is totally over run with drugs, scammers and thieves, surely this president should be looking at getting the country back on its feet create jobs, be able to self sustain,curb the catholic led population growth, legalise abortions ( inam not a fan of abortions) but when 18 year olds are already mothers to two or more children then the system has failed. Drugs whilst a major issue must be being controlled and run by very influential people. Don't murder the users, go after the top players, which obviously include senior Military, Police , politicians. 

A dictator who tries to bite the hand that is trying to assist the Philippines security such as the US then being foul mouthed about it ........ What an idiot 

Philippines is a tough country to live in beyond the glitzy areas of Makati

He is right , he is elected and he's answerable to his people only

USA has no business telling him what to do ...as a first world country they have a shit record in human rights and respecting their own citizens and preventing police brutality

So let the guy do what's he is elected for ...clean up his own country ...if he fails and the country slides further down , that's their choosing and that's democracy

Stop meddling !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The trump of Asean ... :whistling:

Not  being entirely flip about this. (Oops.)

I randomly happened onto some "alt-right" sites directly from the trump twitter page.

That led me to an alt-right meme page, named after Right Wing Death Squads.

They don't pussyfoot around.

These people loved Duterte, loved trump, and loved Nazis too. 

I reckon if trump wins, they'll be makin' "deals" ...

Edited by Jingthing

I think some of you are a bit young. Marcos initially made his name by reducing corruption. When you use corrupt methods to wipe out corruption you are going to end up like them.  It is just a matter of time

This guy is a nut, if he isn't dead in two years, he will be tossed out by the exact same people who voted him in.

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

I think some of you are a bit young. Marcos initially made his name by reducing corruption. When you use corrupt methods to wipe out corruption you are going to end up like them.  It is just a matter of time

This guy is a nut, if he isn't dead in two years, he will be tossed out by the exact same people who voted him in.

He's definitely a nut but he was elected ... 

I wouldn't make any predictions. 

From my POV, I hope Obama DOES say something. Don't  be bullied. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The trump of Asean ... :whistling:

Not  being entirely flip about this. (Oops.)

I randomly happened onto some "alt-right" sites directly from the trump twitter page.

That led me to an alt-right meme page, named after Right Wing Death Squads.

They don't pussyfoot around.

These people loved Duterte, loved trump, and loved Nazis too. 

I reckon if trump wins, they'll be makin' "deals" ...

Not everything is about US politics. The obvious comparison to draw is to Thaksin who did the exact same thing as Duterte is doing now.

From french press :

"It is a quaint boy," responded Obama on the sidelines of the G20 summit in China. The US president asked his staff to examine the usefulness of a meeting scheduled for tuesday in Laos, at the summit of ASEAN: "I always want to make sure [...] it will be really productive."
Edited by Opl

9 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Not everything is about US politics. The obvious comparison to draw is to Thaksin who did the exact same thing as Duterte is doing now.

I agree not everything is about U.S. politics.

But THIS does have that tie in.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/is-donald-trump-the-new-rodrigo-duterte/news-story/8015edb066f29b5f791e07528eaafb8c

“In the cases Trump and Duterte, people are not voting for hope over experience, but for desperation over hope — and even edging towards ugly nastiness over desperation,” Barr says.

Many people have made the connection between Duterte and trump.

Obviously Duterte is more extreme than trump.

But I was here when Thaksin ruled and his rhetoric was nothing like Duterte's. 

Yes the drug thing is similar. 

To add, the last Filipino person I talked to in Pattaya mentioned the similarity to trump ... BEFORE I did. 

Also, the "alt-right" movement which spawns memes like RWDS (Right Wing Death Squads) sees itself as an international (and obviously fascist) movement. They relate directly to leaders like trump, Duterte, La Pen,  numerous European leaders, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, LawrenceChee said:

Philippines is a tough country to live in beyond the glitzy areas of Makati

He is right , he is elected and he's answerable to his people only

USA has no business telling him what to do ...as a first world country they have a shit record in human rights and respecting their own citizens and preventing police brutality

So let the guy do what's he is elected for ...clean up his own country ...if he fails and the country slides further down , that's their choosing and that's democracy

Stop meddling !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yup, not answerable to anybody... I could be wrong but doesn't the world operate on a set of international laws and when you break said international laws are you not answerable for those?

Hey, things are better when each country runs itself and dictators take power, right?

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I agree not everything is about U.S. politics.

But THIS does have that tie in.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/is-donald-trump-the-new-rodrigo-duterte/news-story/8015edb066f29b5f791e07528eaafb8c

Many people have made the connection between Duterte and trump.

Obviously Duterte is more extreme than trump.

But I was here when Thaksin ruled and his rhetoric was nothing like Duterte's. 

Yes the drug thing is similar. 

To add, the last Filipino person I talked to in Pattaya mentioned the similarity to trump ... BEFORE I did. 

Also, the "alt-right" movement which spawns memes like RWDS (Right Wing Death Squads) sees itself as an international (and obviously fascist) movement. They relate directly to leaders like trump, Duterte, La Pen,  numerous European leaders, etc.

Trump hasn't DONE anything. Idiot and con man that he is, he's got no one's blood on his hands.

Duterte OTOH is taking a page straight out of the Thaksin playbook:

"UN is not my father"

• March 2003 -- His reply to a reporter when asked about the announcement of United Nation's Human Rights Office that it would to send officials observe Thai police conduct during Thaksin's anti-drugs campaign, which eventually left several thousand people dead.

•  

What did Rodrigo Duterte call Barack Obama?

606x341_343153.jpg

MANILA: -- Barack Obama has cancelled a meeting scheduled with the President of the Philippines after Rodrigo Duterte swore at him during a press conference.

It comes after Washington expressed concern about a surge in drug-related killings since Duterte became president two months ago promising to wipe out narcotics.

More than 2,400 people have been killed since Duterte took office on June 30.

Campaigners have raised the question of extrajudicial killings.

Hardliner Duterte warned Barack Obama not to question him over the surge in drug-related killings since Duterte took office two months ago.

Addressing the media on his arrival for the ASEAN summit in Laos, Duterte finished with a choice phrase in his native Tagalog, using the phrase “Son of a w***e”.

“I am a president of a sovereign state and we have long ceased to be a colony. I do not have any master except the Filipino people, nobody but nobody. You must be respectful. Do not just throw questions,” Duterte said when asked by journalists before his departure to Laos when asked if Obama might raise the issue on extrajudicial killings in their meeting.

Speaking at the end of the G20 in China, Obama said this might not be the right time for talks.

“Historically, our relationship with the Philippines is one of the most important and my relationship with the Philippines people has been extraordinary warm and productive, so I expect that will continue, but I want to make sure that the setting is right, the timing is right for us to have the best conversation possible.”

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-06

8 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Obama and his controllers certainly deserve some abuse, but I can't see this being a wise move for Mr Duterte. America wrote the book on regime change and destabilising nations. Do the Philippines really want to go down that path?

Its seldom a good idea to go up and kick the biggest dog in the yard, especially when its long proven that dog does bite.

why do countries keep choosing these crazy political leaders? 

44 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Its seldom a good idea to go up and kick the biggest dog in the yard, especially when its long proven that dog does bite.

why do countries keep choosing these crazy political leaders? 

Because that's all that's available. Good leaders with integrity can't make it these days.

No question this guy is an absolve nutter. He is the Trump of Asia. Does not have a diplomatic bone in his body. He just spouts off. There is no filter between his brain and his mouth. Some find that refreshing, I guess. Wonder how the extrajudicial killings are going to work out. On a certain level, it does sound like a decent idea. But, how do you control it. My neighbor has been annoying me. He is a drug dealer. Oh, now he is dead, good work boys. Same goes for the guy down the block with the competing shop. He is a drug dealer! Get him. Now he is dead too. Easy deal. How do you control something like this style of justice? 

Obama would be right to bring it up in discussions. This is how democracies are run. And the US is a big supporter of the PI. They are in the process of establishing six new military bases there. There are hundreds of US companies doing business there. Question the goon. See what he says. 

12 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

mark my words: He's close to his grave. You can't spit to everyone. Someone gonna silence him soon

Okay, so now what ?  How about Washington invades the Philipinnes, set up a new government in the Philipinnes ???
A government that is willing to be a Washington puppet ??

12 hours ago, DipStick said:

For decades the Philippines has been an embarrassment , and certainly needs a fresh look and leadership, from Marcos onwards, things went downhill even more. You had the idiots from the corrupt to the film stars vying for political dominance, all had one thing in their minds $$$$$$ not for the country but for themselves.

They now have this idiot, who is not a politician, nor is he diplomatic or well educated he is a poorly educated dictator. 

Whilst I tend to agree that the Philippines is totally over run with drugs, scammers and thieves, surely this president should be looking at getting the country back on its feet create jobs, be able to self sustain,curb the catholic led population growth, legalise abortions ( inam not a fan of abortions) but when 18 year olds are already mothers to two or more children then the system has failed. Drugs whilst a major issue must be being controlled and run by very influential people. Don't murder the users, go after the top players, which obviously include senior Military, Police , politicians. 

A dictator who tries to bite the hand that is trying to assist the Philippines security such as the US then being foul mouthed about it ........ What an idiot 

Yes, but you've got to bear in mind that this man has been democratically elected. Washington is suppose to remove dictators, and support democracy, support democratically elected leaders.

"A dictator who tries to bite the hand that is trying to assist the Philippines security such as the US then being foul mouthed about it ........ What an idiot "
He is NOT a dictator, he got in by a democratic vote. Also, Washington NEVER gives anything for free. It always costs, and I think the Philipinnes is tired of being a Washington colony.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He's definitely a nut but he was elected ... 

I wouldn't make any predictions. 

From my POV, I hope Obama DOES say something. Don't  be bullied. 

Obama did say something, he cancelled the meeting.  Duterte's mouth will create a lot of hardship for the Philippines in the long run as they may lose military backing from the US and when that happens, China will pounce on them like wild dogs.  

Just my point of view, but if Trump becomes President, he will remember very clearly what the Philippine President thinks of the US and I can just see him tell Duterte........"yeah, you're right, the US sucks, see ya and by the way,  fend for yourselves and see how that works out for you"

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

I doubt that Duterte will have better luck with Trump.   Remember Trump cited the Philippines as a country from which immigration should be stopped because they support terrorism.  

It might be the case that Duterte is looking at CHINA, he wants to take his nation closer to China, and away from America.

1 minute ago, tonbridgebrit said:

It might be the case that Duterte is looking at CHINA, he wants to take his nation closer to China, and away from America.

It is generally not necessary to lose one friend to gain another.