Canadian passport required: Canada changes entry rules for dual citizens

webfact

Canadian passport required: Canada changes entry rules for dual citizens

OTTAWA, Canada - Dual citizen Canadians must show a Canadian passport to enter the country under tightened entry rules effective September 30.

In years past, the government said that dual citizens often entered Canada using their foreign passports backed up by a citizenship card or a provincial driver’s licence to confirm they were Canadian citizens. Now, this practice will end for dual citizens flying into Canada.

Without a proper Canadian passport, Canadian citizens will not be allowed to enter the country as part of a new electronic travel authorisation system.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/74321/canadian-passport-required-canada-changes-entry-rules-dual-citiz

-- eTN 2016-09-06

I have trouble with dual nationality; maybe because I am not eligible. It seems to me that you cannot split your loyalties.  Obviously it provides a benefit for some people, but not for long established, multi generational links with a country.

One of my old friends used to think that many Thais could be a bit "unimpressed" when they learnt that a Thai person held a foreign passport. Maybe in their minds it made them a bit less Thai or disloyal? (Maybe a bit of jealousy too?).

My British cousin (has Aussie citizenship I think), who lives in Townesville, Australia has 4 kids who were born in New Zealand to an American mother, but are essentially now Aussie citizens. I think they could probably qualify for 4 countrys' passports.

Edited by Andrew65

3 hours ago, Cats4ever said:

I have trouble with dual nationality; maybe because I am not eligible. It seems to me that you cannot split your loyalties.  Obviously it provides a benefit for some people, but not for long established, multi generational links with a country.

Loyalty to what? I have dual nationality, what am I supposed to be loyal towards....some historic loyalty to a bygone age? Or loyalty to the Queen of England when I am actually a Scot. Or to the USA where I lived for 42 years? I have also lived in Morocco, and now Thailand with a Thai wife. If we were not required to have a passport I would consider myself a citizen of the world. Before WWI hardly anybody had a passport and traveled freely through out the world except Russia. 

For me,, a passport is a piece of paper that allows me to get around easily (hopefully).  I have a French pp because I live in France.  I can have a Brit or Aus pp easily, but don't, partly because the Aus pp costs a fortune and I don't need them.  If I lived in Australia I would certainly take one if only to show loyalty.