Thai Justice Ministry sets guidelines for media in reporting crimes at press conference

webfact

Justice Ministry sets guidelines for media in reporting crimes at press conference

7_Media-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The bringing of criminal suspects to appear at press conference is a violation of human right and also is unfair to their families who have no knowledge of their crimes but have to suffer social consequences, according to the Ministry of Justice.

The ministry spokesman and deputy permanent secretary Thawatchai Thaikhiew said the ministry is now working out guidelines for the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC)  that will in future forbid bringing in suspects involved in cases at press conferences as this was considered a violation of the rights of the individual.

He said the guidelines covers the conduct of the media in reporting crimes on air.

They will be forwarded to the NBTC as guidelines in tackling news reporting that is considered a violation of human rights.

He said the main priority of the new guidelines is the violation the rights of individuals involved in criminal cases when brought for press conferences.

It is felt that this kind of treatment is unfair particularly for the suspect’s family or relatives whom in all likelihood have no knowledge or involvement the crime, he said.

Another concern for the ministry is that such public condemnation serves no valid purpose whatsoever as society today has become immune and uncaring of such punishment.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/justice-ministry-sets-guidelines-media-reporting-crimes-press-conference/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-06

Perp pressers to continue despite Prayuth's concern for human rights

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

pressers.jpg

A typical setting of police news conferences, a man accused of rape on Friday was presented to reporters at Bangkok's Crime Suppression Division and told to apologize for his alleged crime.

BANGKOK — For a while it seemed like a tradition in the symbiotic relationship between police and media would be brought to an end.

But two days after junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha sent a letter to the Ministry of Justice telling police to consider ending the commonplace practice of parading suspects in front of reporters out of concern for human rights, police Monday said the show will go on – with some modifications.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2016/09/06/perp-pressers-continue-despite-concern-human-rights/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-09-06

'It is felt that this kind of treatment is unfair particularly for the suspect’s family or relatives whom in all likelihood have no knowledge or involvement the crime, he said'

They still don't quite get it, do they? Let's not worry so much about the families and concentrate more on being fair when dealing with 'suspects' who are 'accused' of a crime. It's still innocent until proven guilty. 

And remember, 'farangs', you MUST respect the law! But to be fair, we don't always know what it is. 

so we get guidelines for the press because the police and military are prancing their victims, er, suspects in front of the public in a violation of basic human rights.... 

And this so-called "PM" claims to be concerned about human rights. 

As stated many times and as Prayuth Chan O Cha continues to prove daily, the guy is a complete moron....

And a dangerous one at that :coffee1:

As I followed the girl down the alleyway, I approached her from behind.

Throwing her to the ground - breaking two of her ribs, I forcefully removed her clothes and raped her brutally while holding my knife to her neck.

"You tell anyone about this, and I'll hunt you down ," I said.

OK said the   police officer---that will do for the reconstruction , now lets go back to the station  for the finger pointing photos...........:coffee1:

Edited by oxo1947

I always enjoyed the circus, not gonna be the same without the finger pointing photo sessions. Kind of like the circus without the elephants, just not the same. Even worse, it is against the law to report on what happens if the perps get convicted, I have read.

7 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

hope this includes re enactments. making a suspect re enact a crime they have not been committed of seems to be wrong to me.

From what I read recently I guess they still do the reenactments but they just don't let the media cover it anymore.

Seems fare not to put them in front of the media anymore as after all they haven't gone to trial yet, and they could be innocent. I can think of one case in which the guy was totally innocent and was a case of mistaken identity, but nobody believe him, so he was forced to quit school to get away from the public attention.