Why dont more Thai people wear sunglasses

JJGreen

Eye pigment varies with genetic component.  Thais don't need sunblock, hats or sunglasses coz they have plenty of pigment in the skin and eyes. Really only a few folks have blue eyes, white skin (genetic recessives) and they are at a big disadvantage, esp in the tropics where the sun's radiation is maximum. The additional problem of the reflected radiation, off the concrete roads, buildings and esp beaches, makes life here even more troublesome for those with little pigmentation.  Out in the forest, or golf course, the radiation is absorbed the the leaves, so under the big tree is good.

Sure, if you are blue eyed and come from Scotland maybe you did not need sunglasses or sunblock there, but here your eyes will hurt and your skin easily damaged by the radiation.  The radiation will easily damage the light colored eyes too; permanently. 

OZ has a very high rate of skin cancer amongst the farmers coz they mostly have the white sun-sensitive skin as inherited from the ancestors, former Brits.  Of course, skin cancer almost unknown amongst the local black folks of OZ.

Unless for fashion reasons, sunglasses for Thais are totally un-needed and not part of the traditional culture.  

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They would all look like the bad mafia guys in an early cheap Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan movie, that's why they don't wear them.

I remember a very old Photo of my wife's family and the bunch of em all had sunglasses, pic was from the 60ties or so black and white and my mind immediately went to one of those old kung <deleted> movies....

Edited by AlQaholic

3 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Maybe they think they're Japanese.

A Japanese work colleague told me that their eyes are superior to western eyes, and he/they could look directly at the sun without irritation or harm.

While their eyes may be superior or not, obviously your colleagues brain was somewhat inferior.......

Probably for the same reason many Thais don't wear prescription glasses. 

Have you ever tried to show a map to a taxi driver that needed glasses?

I believe many tourists are denied rides by taxi drivers that are holding maps as the older drivers know they can't read them.   :cheesy:

I lived with a Thai woman for 4 years and I begged her to get glasses as she had problems reading. Her entire family needed prescription glasses, but none never went in for an eye exam.

i could never understand their thinking.

They just don't like glasses!  

Because they don't need them. The epicanthic fold and dark eyes are the result of evolution in a hot and sunny climate.

Body hair on most Westerners is the result of evolving in a cold climate. Most Thais think we look like monkeys, although I don't take it personally.

Edited by bazza40
Text addition

4 minutes ago, Global Guy said:

The OP just asked a simple question about sunglasses. There was no judgment in his post. Why are YOU so freaked about someone trying to discuss something on a discussion board?

If you don't want to contribute to it, then ignore it and scroll on by instead of trolling.

Professional jealousy, perhaps? They do seem to have got up each other's noses.

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

While their eyes may be superior or not, obviously your colleagues brain was somewhat inferior.......

He was the same one who owned a $1000+ Citizen watch that updated via some spurious electronic signal.  I was wearing a copy Rolex Seamaster, bought for US$20 in a market in Phnom Penh, and bet him that my watch time wouldn't drift, so no update was required.

We were on a trip for four days, checked the time on departure, and again on arrival four days later, and the seconds hands were EXACTLY the same, as other hands were, of course.

Yep, his brain wasn't as good as a western brain.

58 minutes ago, Global Guy said:

The OP just asked a simple question about sunglasses. There was no judgment in his post. Why are YOU so freaked about someone trying to discuss something on a discussion board?

"No judgement in his post...??"  Geez man, don't be so ignorant.  Why would the OP say "Im suggesting thai people dont wear sunglasses very often when there seems a need to it"....??  It's typical condescending BS that he's spouting, as if to say he knows what's good for the Thais and he's always right.  Even if I've already proved to him that he's wrong.  My advice to you: Don't be such a brown-noser.    

"No judgement in his post...??"  Geez man, don't be so ignorant.  Why would the OP say "Im suggesting thai people dont wear sunglasses very often when there seems a need to it"....??  It's typical condescending BS that he's spouting, as if to say he knows what's good for the Thais and he's always right.  Even if I've already proved to him that he's wrong.  My advice to you: Don't be such a brown-noser.    

You don't comprehend what you read very well...And if you quote me, quote what i say not what you interpret.
If a Thai person asked the question why North Americans wear sunglasses...is that condescending?
And again...proving me wrong about what?
I had no definitive opinion on why they do or don't...thats why i asked.

There have been some good responses here, some of which I'm interested in researching further.

9 hours ago, JJGreen said:
10 hours ago, sipi said:
Why don't more Aussies eat som-tum?

Hardly a like for like comparison is it?

Sunglasses are worn globally... som tum is eaten...here

Actually not true, som tum is quite popular in the states. However tastes like crap. They use Mexican papaya's and they never taste right.

As for sunglasses. My wife has 3 pairs, one in each car and one in her purse. Wears them sparingly and to another posters comment frequently says they bother her because they fall off her nose.  I wear sunglasses only when I feel the need. Like driving from the North and the sun is on the horizon blasting me. I also wear some custom ones that I had made in the states with virtually clear lens but use at dusk or dawn when I ride my scooter to avoid crap and or bugs in my eyes. More amazing to me is while sunglasses serve a purpose I am more surprised that Thai's do not wear glasses or eye protection on scooters. There is stuff flying all the time and I see them get hit.

8 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

You don't comprehend what you read very well...And if you quote me, quote what i say not what you interpret.
If a Thai person asked the question why North Americans wear sunglasses...is that condescending?

There have been some good responses here, some of which I'm interested in researching further.

You have dragged up one of the expats who feels that part of living in Thailand is being overly sensitive about any questions about Thailand. Just wait for the "if you don't like it, you can leave" default that the apologists use. They read from the same script, chase the same balloons for free food, and think immersion is about abandoning their own culture.

Wait for it....wait for it..... 

3 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

Ok, let's start over.  You've asked why more Thais don't wear sunglasses, based on the premise that in your opinion, they should.  I've suggested that doctors say it's not a good idea to wear sunglasses all the time because the eyes need natural nourishment that sunlight provides.  So your premise is questionable in the first place.

But if you really want to know why more Thais don't wear sunglasses, I can give you the answer:  For the same reason that more farangs don't wear sunglasses.  We're not all that different, even though you and some others are always trying to prove otherwise.

My dogs don't wear sunglasses either... but they eat Som-Tum! :cheesy:

Note:

I read this post entirely and found it a bit too serious, too scientific and sometimes a bit aggressive... then my answer is for make you smile only... don't think anything bad about it ;)

The human race has been on this planet for zillions of years without sun glasses, folk evolved over those years without sun glasses. It is a new phenomena created for man if they so choose to use them..

Personally I hate the vision through them when l tried them...

I think its mainly not the habit and not enough education that sun can be dangerous for your eye. Not only that, quality sun glasses cost a bit here, hence the only people that you will see wearing it more often are the folks with high spending power. If you look closely, many of those that drive expensive cars will be wearing it. The other group are drivers.

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I wear dark glasses all the time, including inside shopping malls and even into early evening, because I suffer from photophobia, a condition I have learned to live with over thirty years - this means that bright sunlight makes me squint, become nauseous and causes painful headaches. The problem was not so bad when I lived in the West where photo grey lenses would take care of the problem, here the light is so powerful that photo grey isn't effective. So now I have two pairs of glasses, a regular pair I use at home for computer work and a dark pair I wear the rest of the time, both are made to the same varifocal prescription. And yes, on occasion a "<deleted>" westerner in a shopping mall will give me an odd look but what am I supposed to do, stop and tell him/her my medical history so that in future they will understand!

Spot on.

Many people these days wear tinted prescription glasses, sometimes in sunglasses frames (like RayBan) sometimes not. They serve multiple purposes and there are often medical issues including photophobia and other conditions that lead to headaches and migraine, etc. Although these are quite different from 'sunglasses' the wearers still have to face the 'look' and often nasty comments from opinionated twerps (westerners) in shopping malls who just can't mind their own business!