What's the best VPN in Thailand?

Sorenson

10 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Would a VPN work with the "single gateway" implemented?

Possibly, but forum rules on VPN/proxy topics prohibit discussion of methods to bypass government security.

So this line of discussion must end now, we don't know what form the "single gateway" will take anyway, so no real point talking about it.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will give my thumbs up big time to Astrill for excellent custom support.

I had problems with the settings; I could not set it to; OpenVPN but only OpenWeb. In open web mode you are only VPN protected via the web browsers you uses, so if you as an eksample uses Bittorrent that will not be VNP protected/covered. 

After their first advice didn't work, they asked me if I was willing to approve remote desktop support. I said yes and they sent me a random generated password that I sent back to them and then they started working on my Astrill program remotely. I could see them working on it and it didn't work, they ended up deleting the whole program and re-install and they asked me to re-boot my PC.

After the re-install and re-boot everything is working and I can now switch between OpenVPN/Web as I like.

So that was a real person somewhere spending some 20min getting my Astrill programme up and running again, now that is what I call really good customer service. That had never happened to me before on my home PC's. Hell Microsoft don't even having real people helping private persons, if you are stuck, tough shit man, sort it out yourself, we don't care, try looking in the often mentioned problems and try some of the solutions given, good luck to you Sir.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lelapin said:

Looking for VPN with good speed for streaming  from British addresses. Only need it for one device.

Any recommendations

Pay for one month at ipvanish and see how you get on. Thrash it for 6 days and if its not good for you hit the money back guarantee.

57 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Pay for one month at ipvanish and see how you get on. Thrash it for 6 days and if its not good for you hit the money back guarantee.

I got IPVanish for 18 months now and it was OK...now with a recent update I can't connect to any server, had to do windows restore to the previous version...anyone else have this problem with IPVanish?

59 minutes ago, maxpower said:

I don't know about IP Vanish per se. But in general, you have to be very careful about the money-back guarantee offers that a lot of VPN providers make.

A lot of them have fine print in those offers indicating that if you use more than XX GB of data (whatever their policy sets as a limit) during your initial period, then you're no longer entitled to a refund. And some of those data limits are pretty low in the various refund policies. So you need to read the fine print and/or ask.

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't know about IP Vanish per se. But in general, you have to be very careful about the money-back guarantee offers that a lot of VPN providers make.

A lot of them have fine print in those offers indicating that if you use more than XX GB of data (whatever their policy sets as a limit) during your initial period, then you're no longer entitled to a refund. And some of those data limits are pretty low in the various refund policies. So you need to read the fine print and/or ask.

The reason why I suggested ipvanish. The refund policy is simple providing your payment method allows refunds.

On 08/09/2016 at 9:21 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Tunnel Bear is another of the pretty well established (quasi) free services, so long as you don't exceed their free monthly data limit.

Works fine as a basic VPN, but when I've used the free version in the past in Thailand, it was pretty much too slow for video streaming or much in the way of downloading.

I use the paid version on my Ipad and Iphone to access BBC Iplayer and I have no problems with streaming video. Only issue I have is that the account will not also allow me to use it on my android phone as I guess I need another account. But does Tunnel Bear provide the security/privacy the OP is looking for? 

On 23/09/2016 at 11:53 PM, bek said:

I also have both Expressvpn and Purevpn. I have had Expressvpn for 3-4 years, while I just signed up for a month of Purevpn after I saw it recommended in this forum.

Purevpn is very inconsistent. Sometimes I get great speed to Singapore, other times it's dead slow. It also seems to disconnect quite often.
Expressvpn is more consistent in its performance, while it's not as fast as Purevpn on its good days. The app for Expressvpn is much better than Purevpn, and I find the support to be better as well, the times I have needed it. Expressvpn is a around double the price though, which is why I gave Purevpn a chance.

I will give Nordvpn a go one of the coming days - anyone got any experiences with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I downloaded nordvpn last night for the purpose of watching iplayers in the UK, did not work. So downloaded beartunnel, iplayers work fine with this vpn. You get so much download free per month, then its less than 200baht to enjoy unlimited download for the month.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

I downloaded nordvpn last night for the purpose of watching iplayers in the UK, did not work. So downloaded beartunnel, iplayers work fine with this vpn. You get so much download free per month, then its less than 200baht to enjoy unlimited download for the month.

Nordvpn did not work ? Was it too slow on all servers or could you not connect to any.  Do you have an account with Nord or did you use a trial. 

On 1/7/2017 at 8:27 PM, LburtonL said:

For my Ipad I have been using free OperaVPN years and works great

The only issue about Opera is that the original Norwegian company behind the browser and VPN services sold most of itself to a consortium of Chinese companies last year led by the Chinese search firm Qihoo 360. Considering the reputation that Chinese companies have for both poor privacy standards and often colluding with the Chinese government, you'd have to at least ask yourself whether that's a good choice for a VPN, especially for anything sensitive like financial account info. Yes, the service is free, but...?

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/18/opera-browser-sold-to-a-chinese-consortium-for-600-million/

14 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Nordvpn did not work ? Was it too slow on all servers or could you not connect to any.  Do you have an account with Nord or did you use a trial. 

It has a map on their site and there are no IP addresses in the UK.

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

It has a map on their site and there are no IP addresses in the UK.

Answering with "It did not work" does not help anyone looking for a VPN service. NordVPN has 45 servers in the UK and you tell me not one could dish up a UK TV iplayer. I call BS.

2 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Answering with "It did not work" does not help anyone looking for a VPN service. NordVPN has 45 servers in the UK and you tell me not one could dish up a UK TV iplayer. I call BS.

Instead of being rude and agressive, why don't you do what I did and try it out for yourself. I was trying to be helpful fool. 

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

Instead of being rude and agressive, why don't you do what I did and try it out for yourself. I was trying to be helpful fool. 

Done that. Watching BBC Iplayer NordVPN - 5.152.210.244 London UK from Inet Thailand.

I have a subscription for IPVanish, and don't really like it - it's a bit hit and miss, and for some reason almost all of the servers shows up as being in the us, when doing a test at Speedtest.net - no idea why.

I'm testdriving NordVPN at the moment, and I already like it better than IPVanish. I like the layout of the software much better, and it connects to everywhere I try. The app for my iPhone also seems to run flawlessly - I'm on a 3 day free trial. I can see online that NordVPN is thought to be a bit slower than some other providers, but it hasn't been a problem so far. They only have two servers in my native country (Denmark), but I can still stream in perfect quality, using my router to take care of the VPN connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2016 at 2:05 PM, hakancnx said:

I use "hidemyass.com" but only for streaming TV from my country. ( Sweden )

$ 6 per month. 

They have servers everywhere.....

Works fine. 

Same as me,but if you pay by year it is $50, 2 devices and good backup.

• 4 months later...

Seems that there are two that have some very good reports.  Astrill and Express.  Given that I might reluctantly take the plunge on one of them, and given that some folks will have done a lot more research on them than I have as yet (and maybe even used both), are there any particular benefits of the one or the other?  Just want to try an avoid the "damn, if only I'd managed to find that out that before I paid" scenario.

11 hours ago, SooKee said:

Seems that there are two that have some very good reports.  Astrill and Express.  Given that I might reluctantly take the plunge on one of them, and given that some folks will have done a lot more research on them than I have as yet (and maybe even used both), are there any particular benefits of the one or the other?  Just want to try an avoid the "damn, if only I'd managed to find that out that before I paid" scenario.

I like Astrill and have continued to use them for some years. Their regular rates are a bit expensive compared to the average. But they provide good speeds, dependable connections and each Thanksgiving/Black Friday each year, and sometimes during the year, they have pretty good discount promotions off their regular prices. I always renew with them at Thanksgiving time.

There was a past time when they were caught in the VPNs crackdown by some of the big streaming services, and many -- but not all -- of their server locations were not working with some of the big U.S. based video services. But they seem to have worked that out now, because these days, I have no problem with getting error messages when using the streaming services that say things like, "Sorry, we've detected you're attempting to access our service thru a VPN."

That said, all my familiarity and experience with them is with U.S. connections and their servers there. I've never used them for, and have no experience with, making connections with them to Australia.

On 7/19/2017 at 6:47 PM, tlcwaterfall said:

Any recommendations for a  Vpn for  Australia that works with Foxtel go?

Am currently with Private internet access and it does not work for that service.

Have also tried Pure Vpn which did not work either.

I've test trialed both PIA and PURE in the past, and neither were any good for me.

In the case of PIA, I was getting lousy speeds, much worse than Astrill at the time.

In the case of Pure, their system for server assignments is, how should I say it, very flexible. It may not matter to others. But when I log-into a particular city server, I want a connection for that city. And with Pure's network, it would tell me I was connected to XX server location, but the resulting IP address would correlate to an entirely different location. And not once by mistake. But over and over again repeatedly.

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I like Astrill and have continued to use them for some years. Their regular rates are a bit expensive compared to the average. But they provide good speeds, dependable connections and each Thanksgiving/Black Friday each year, and sometimes during the year, they have pretty good discount promotions off their regular prices. I always renew with them at Thanksgiving time.

There was a past time when they were caught in the VPNs crackdown by some of the big streaming services, and many -- but not all -- of their server locations were not working with some of the big U.S. based video services. But they seem to have worked that out now, because these days, I have no problem with getting error messages when using the streaming services that say things like, "Sorry, we've detected you're attempting to access our service thru a VPN."

That said, all my familiarity and experience with them is with U.S. connections and their servers there. I've never used them for, and have no experience with, making connections with them to Australia.

Thanks.  I'm on the Astrill trial at the moment.  Looks good so far and with no visible of speed signs degradation (e.g. stalled video) albeit I haven't done a speed test as such.  I'm primarily bothered if it works or not, not so much speed counts.  Are their discounts that significant? If so, it might be worth me going monthly until thanksgiving.  At least for the the next few months of this year so I can get the renewals in sync.

Their online support are responsive and helpful too.

Archived