What's the best VPN in Thailand?

Sorenson

Here's a Sep 17 article talking dedicated and shared VPN IPs....in a combination advertisement for certain VPN providers and an explanation/educational type document.  Below I partially quoted some of the paragraphs from the educational portion of the document.  Link to full article below also.

https://www.vpnranks.com/dedicated-ip-vpn/

Dedicated IP vs. Shared IP

To identify the difference between a shared IP and dedicated IP address, consider the example of a subway vs. a car. A shared IP is like a subway train, full of passengers that caters all of them at the same time. On another hand, a dedicated IP address is like your personal car, which is being driven and used solely by you.

Dedicated and Shared IP addresses have unique advantages and drawbacks. However, dedicated IP takes an edge over shared IP in terms of accessibility and performance. So the primary difference between the two is that a shared IP address is shared with thousands of users, while a dedicated or static IP is assigned to a unique subscriber.

VPN With Dedicated IP Address

The dedicated IP address, if assigned to you, can’t be altered or utilized by any other person on earth. It remains constant every time you log on to the internet.

On another hand, the dynamic IP address keeps on changing every time you log in as it is being shared by multiple users at given instance. 

Generally, VPN providers offer shared IP address that is used by many users at the same time. When Netflix detects a certain IP address, it flags it and adds it to its blacklist. A dedicated IP address on another hand is unique and is assigned to a specific user only. Since this unique IP is under your control, there are very low chances that Netflix will flag the IP. In this way, it aids you into accessing foreign media libraries without any restrictions.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a chat session with Pure asking since I had a 5 year regular VPN subscription (actually 5.5 years) can I buy just 1 year's work of Dedicated IP add-on at $1.99/mo.  Answer was no....must match the length of my current regular VPN subscription...rep said my cost for 5 years of Dedicated IP add-on would be $199.

I then asked what cities in the Dedicated IP is offered.  The rep's first answered the countries it's available for which is: USA, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore, Canada, Germany, Malta, and Australia.

And for the US specifically it's available for these cities/locations:

San Diego
New York
Los Angeles
Dallas
Houston 
Las vegas
San Francisco
Washington
Florida / Miami
Chicago
Virginia

FYI/just crossfeed.

Edit: I started another chat session from my Pure online account this time....got a different rep (supposedly.....had a different name at least).  Asked again about buying only 1 year's worth of the Dedicated IP add-on in case the Dedicated IP didn't work out as advertised.  Got the same answer as the length of subscription for the Dedicated IP add-on must match the length of my main/regular VPN subscription which is identified as a 5 year plan.   Summary: I would have to buy 5 years worth of Dedicated IP add-on which would cost $119.  

TorGuard update:

So, as I've mentioned already, I found that I could not access either Netflix or Amazon services from their vanilla server locations, any of them!  Important to bear in mind if you need the VPN for that, it will likely not work UNLESS you opt for the dedicated streaming IP address.

On that front, more success but not entirely satisfactory.  Where Netflix is concerned it seems to work OK on the Android phone and laptop, the only two devices I've tested it on so far.  Amazon, different story.  Making sure my Amazon account was set to a US address I managed to get TG working with Amazon on the laptop, accessing the US catalogue.  One the phone it's weird.  Once I eventually log in I get taken to what looks like some skeleton service with an absolute bare minimum of content, I mean even more minimal than their current International offering, in my case  it lists just 3 movies when clicking 'Movies'.   I have disabled location services on the phone, restarted the phone, uninstalled the app and cleared all of its cache / data.  No joy.  Something is definitely VERY wrong there!  As soon as I turn the VPN off I get the international catalogue with WAY more movies offered than I do when using it.

It doesn't help that their current help pages don't actually reflect the current version of the Android app at least, and they could be more specific about what to check / uncheck rather than just providing a screenshot of settings that vary from those checked by default.  What's worse, they actually SHOULD be checked by default, not changed to reflect the settings in the 'how to guide'.  I mean, seriously??  Once you fathom it out you hit the problems I describe.  So something is not working with the phone app when combined with the VPN somewhere.

I've faced this problem before with this skeleton view of the Amazon catalogue when trying to tinker while looking at VPNs.  I don't need it at the moment but I don't want to pay for something to find that it doesn't work when I do need it.  I've also asked whether the AIS CGN might be causing problems but I hit the same issue with wifi enabled and just using the phone's mobile data.

I'm currently in a (what's getting a somewhat tiresome) back and forth of emails with Torguard saying try this / try that but no matter what, the phone app is not able to access Amazon's US catalogue and the app is defaulting to some kind of 'something's up here, this is all you can access until you log in from where you're supposed to'.  Whatever, it shouldn't be this hard to get the phone app working.  I will try from the Shield and Mi tomorrow and even try the phone once the router is configured, see if that helps.  Odd that the laptop  works fine.

My Torguard tests last night with were a Windows PC using their Open VPN app, and then using my ASUS router to send VPN wifi to both my Fire TV and a laptop. No problems.

I haven't tried anything as yet using their Android mobile app. But if it helps, I can try using the Amazon Prime Video app on one of my Amazon Prime Exclusives phones, and see what ensues.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Summary: I would have to buy 5 years worth of Dedicated IP add-on which would cost $119.

I was going to say, 5 years (60 months) X $1.99 per month hardly equals $199... $119 extra is a bit closer.

But hey Pib, you're only paying 23 cents a month for your dynamic IP VPN service, and J. Edgar's kin should be pretty happy with you!  :tongue:

But seriously -- As an alternative, are you still within the post-purchase refund/cancel period with Pure for your new 5 year subscription? If so, you could simply cancel it, and re-do a new subscription right now still at Black Friday rates for whatever term you wanted and add the static IP for the same new term...

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was going to say, 5 years (60 months) X $1.99 per month hardly equals $199... $119 extra is a bit closer.

But hey Pib, you're only paying 23 cents a month for your dynamic IP VPN service, and J. Edgar's kin should be pretty happy with you!  :tongue:

But seriously -- As an alternative, are you still within the post-purchase refund/cancel period with Pure for your new 5 year subscription? If so, you could simply cancel it, and re-do a new subscription right now still at Black Friday rates for whatever term you wanted and add the static IP for the same new term...

Yea...brain fart...typo in that one post where I said $199 in one location but the correct $119 in another place.  $1.99 times 60 months = $119.40

No, I don't want to cancel my basic 5 year subscription....I'm happy with Pure for my VPN needs....been with them for 18 months....and got 5.5 more paid-up years.   But if I could get the Dedicated IP cheap enough I would add it on just for the heck of it...$119 wouldn't send me to the poor house...and maybe they'll do a half price sale some day on that can I can pick it up even cheaper.

I don't do the home country paid video streaming services like some of you guys which appears to be the prime driver in all the VPN shopping/testing some of you have been doing.   My AIS Fibre Platinum TV package, Youtubing, and Kodi streaming keeps me happy enough.    J. Edgar didn't watch too much TV & movies....and those genes were apparently passed along to me.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

No, I don't want to cancel my basic 5 year subscription....I'm happy with Pure for my VPN needs

I think you understand this, but I wasn't suggesting just cancel. I was suggesting cancel your basic 5 year plan if it's still within the refund period, and then re-order now at Black Friday rates for whatever term you want for the static IP and basic service combined.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think you understand this, but I wasn't suggesting just cancel. I was suggesting cancel your basic 5 year plan if it's still within the refund period, and then re-order now at Black Friday rates for whatever term you want for the static IP and basic service combined.

The 5 years for $69 deal ($1.15/mo) was what I wanted as that is indeed a good deal in comparison to their other pretty good deal of 2 years for $49.95 ($2.08/month).  And they didn't have any sale/good deal on any period less than 2 years.  No...I'm fine without Dedicated IP for my VPN needs....it's the J. Edgar genes in me.

My Torguard tests last night with were a Windows PC using their Open VPN app, and then using my ASUS router to send VPN wifi to both my Fire TV and a laptop. No problems.   I haven't tried anything as yet using their Android mobile app. But if it helps, I can try using the Amazon Prime Video app on one of my Amazon Prime Exclusives phones, and see what ensues.

If you wouldn't mind.  

I think I might be starting to get to the bottom of it. My Prime account was signed up for using the international site. My account at Amazon though had been changed to a US address.

So far, the Amazon apps installed on the Shield and the phone aren't working with the VPN App installed and enabled (I thought I'd try it all the other way round - see what works without the router install). Netflix works fine on them all albeit the load times are slower on the Shield. As an aside, with the TG app on the Shield the Amazon app won't even start!! Just says there's an internet problem, even after clearing the cache and blah, blah, blah. Netflix, no problem!!

However, when I navigate to Prime Video on the laptop through the Amazon site, not via the Prime link that comes up if you search Prime Video, it shows and will play the US Catalogue with the VPN enabled. So it seems to be how you get to the content.

TG have suggested I might need to create a new account and sign up again. Seriously not sure I can be bothered to go through that just because Amazon operates this way, making it even more of PITA than Netflix. Netflix, simply change your IP location (provided you're with a working VPN) and up comes the content. Easy. With Amazon, seems not, at least if you signed up from these parts. I'd be even less impressed if I was to move to the US and had to sign up again simply because they haven't got their international act together. Or maybe they have and it's Netflix that's less sophisticated.

I'm less inclined to go this create another account route though, especially as it would have to UK based (given I have UK cards but not US). It's just too much hassle TBH. I may try to see how it all works when the VPN is on the router but in starting to think this is an account (and where it was created) issue vs a VPN issue. If it's the latter I'll probably just bin Amazon rather than jumping though the hoops that Netflix don't require. To complicate things further, I already did have a UK account tied to a UK credit card but the same log in details were used to create the international Prime sign up. When I look at the UK it shows I'm already a prime video member, as does the USA. All in all its a bit of a dog's breakfast to try to fathom what I'd need to do to get it up and running and patience is running out fast.

On that front. Must admit I'm not that blown away with the catalogue once you do access Netflix USA. Bucket loads more content for sure but most of which I can't access here so far seems to be really dated and / or stuff I'd have no interest in. All the headline stuff I'd be interested in is available via the Thai catalogue already. All a bit underwhelming TBH.

Will look more tomorrow with the VPN on the router, see if that changes things with Amazon. I'm guessing it won't as I think it's the account location creation and where the apps have pulled their content from, regardless of whether you can now kid them into thinking you're somewhere else. Can't think of what else it might be given navigating to the content from an Amazon site, not using the apps or the Prime specific link DOES work.

Sent using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, SooKee said:

If you wouldn't mind.

I think I might be starting to get to the bottom of it. My Prime account was signed up for using the international site. My account at Amazon though had been changed to a US address.

I'm sort of inclined to think that situation, particularly having the Prime account done internationally, is likely more of the issue than whatever's going on with the VPN connection.

My situation, in contrast, is more straight-forward, U.S. all the way around. So I'll take a look at accessing via Android and update later.

I'm sort of inclined to think that situation, particularly having the Prime account done internationally, is likely more of the issue than whatever's going on with the VPN connection.

My situation, in contrast, is more straight-forward, U.S. all the way around. So I'll take a look at accessing via Android and update later.

I'm beginning to think so too. Very annoying though that the Amazon app won't even start on the Shield with TorGuard app installed and enabled. Definitely a point to consider for anyone considering signing up if they can't or don't want to install the VPN at the router.

I'll mail TorGuard about it tomorrow. Whole day wasted on this already so I'm not in the mood for any more. I'll have a look at what happens with the VPN installed on the router and, if that doesn't change anything re Amazon (and I'm guessing it won't), see what Amazon account options I have. Given I don't have a US credit card I think it would have to be a UK account though which would also entail me changing my US IP with TorGuard to a UK one. I'm guessing they could do it but I'd have to see how that would affect other services. I'm also less inclined to pi55 about quite so much to accommodate Amazon who've managed to climb even further up my hate list!!

Sent using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

If you wouldn't mind.  

So far, the Amazon apps installed on the Shield and the phone aren't working with the VPN App installed and enabled (I thought I'd try it all the other way round - see what works without the router install). Netflix works fine on them all albeit the load times are slower on the Shield. As an aside, with the TG app on the Shield the Amazon app won't even start!! Just says there's an internet problem, even after clearing the cache and blah, blah, blah. Netflix, no problem!!

However, when I navigate to Prime Video on the laptop through the Amazon site, not via the Prime link that comes up if you search Prime Video, it shows and will play the US Catalogue with the VPN enabled. So it seems to be how you get to the content.

TG have suggested I might need to create a new account and sign up again. Seriously not sure I can be bothered to go through that just because Amazon operates this way, making it even more of PITA than Netflix. Netflix, simply change your IP location (provided you're with a working VPN) and up comes the content. Easy. With Amazon, seems not, at least if you signed up from these parts. I'd be even less impressed if I was to move to the US and had to sign up again simply because they haven't got their international act together. Or maybe they have and it's Netflix that's less sophisticated.

I'm less inclined to go this create another account route though, especially as it would have to UK based (given I have UK cards but not US). It's just too much hassle TBH. I may try to see how it all works when the VPN is on the router but in starting to think this is an account (and where it was created) issue vs a VPN issue. If it's the latter I'll probably just bin Amazon rather than jumping though the hoops that Netflix don't require. To complicate things further, I already did have a UK account tied to a UK credit card but the same log in details were used to create the international Prime sign up. When I look at the UK it shows I'm already a prime video member, as does the USA. All in all its a bit of a dog's breakfast to try to fathom what I'd need to do to get it up and running and patience is running out fast.

On that front. Must admit I'm not that blown away with the catalogue once you do access Netflix USA. Bucket loads more content for sure but most of which I can't access here so far seems to be really dated and / or stuff I'd have no interest in. All the headline stuff I'd be interested in is available via the Thai catalogue already. All a bit underwhelming TBH.

Will look more tomorrow with the VPN on the router, see if that changes things with Amazon. I'm guessing it won't as I think it's the account location creation and where the apps have pulled their content from, regardless of whether you can now kid them into thinking you're somewhere else. Can't think of what else it might be given navigating to the content from an Amazon site, not using the apps or the Prime specific link DOES work.

Sent using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue. The issue may be DNS related. 

Please do https:// ipleak.net check while connected to the VPN on your phone and shield and post or pm me the screenshots. 

Which router model do u have, btw? 

Just quick update #1...  I have a 2015 Fire tablet at home that I ran the first test on. AFAIK, this tablet and all the other Amazon tablets don't have any GPS built-in.

--Tried Prime via my static stream connection via wifi router -- played fine with the normal content offerings displayed normally.

--Tried Prime via a regular non-static stream connection using the TG app on my tablet along with a local ISP wifi connection. The content offerings presentation remained normal/the same, but as soon as I opened a random video page, I got the not available in your area message and unable to play.

--Tried Prime via the custom static stream configuration using the TG app on my tablet along with a local ISP wifi connection -- played fine with the normal content offerings displayed normally. (BTW, really easy to add and set-up a custom IP profile in their Android app, took less than a minute and done).

In summary, I got the exact same experience using my Amazon tablet as I got last night using my Windows PC. Everything fine when using the static stream connection either by app or wifi. But when I used a NON-static stream connection in either situation, got geo error blocks. Which is pretty much what would be expected.

I also have regular Android tablets at home that aren't Amazon versions. So I'll give the same approach a try on one of those a bit later.

OK.. Update #2.. This time, a locally sourced regular Android wifi/LTE tablet with GPS and a local SIM installed (but not used in this case) for data.

--Tried Prime via my static stream connection delivered via wifi router -- played fine with the normal content catalog offerings displayed normally. Tested the exact same video files I tested in the prior round, including those that were geoblocked when I had used the non-static stream TG profile.

--Tried Prime via the custom static stream configuration using the TG app on my tablet combined with a local ISP wifi connection -- played fine. The only difference with this mode was, when the Prime home page came up, it came up with the banner of things to play abroad. But, none of the regular videos had any problem playing despite that.

Separately, I also just tested the streaming static IP on an older straight wifi regular Android tablet. TG app on the tablet connected to local ISP. Regular content catalog displayed and all the tested videos played without incident.

Thus far, for my uses, the static stream profile is working exactly as promised and expected both in the router wifi mode and in the app on device mode, both for PC and Android tablets. Haven't tried it on any streamers as yet.

I am now into my 3rd week with NordVPN and I am very happy with it. Running 2 laptops at the same time with one VPN to the UK and another one to Norway/Sweden.    

Running 2 streams and no delays , everything is smooth .  I have not tried to connect to my Android devices yet but I rarely use them with VPN.  

So I am a very happy customer for the 2 year deal so far. 

I had a similar issue. The issue may be DNS related.  Please do https:// ipleak.net check while connected to the VPN on your phone and shield and post or pm me the screenshots.    Which router model do u have, btw? 

Will send you a pm shortly. At one point I was convinced it was where my account was opened and how that was causing the problems. Only thing that makes me question that is that when I navigate to Prime via the regular Amazon website on a laptop I can see and play US content using the TG app on the laptop and my dedicated streaming IP. I'll try try later using the phone and getting to the content via browser.    

I'm still thinking the setting up of the account is partially to blame but also wonder if there is some configuration issue this end, maybe because of the router (DNS etc) or maybe because of the ISP (I did already ask whether AISs use of CGN might be an issue but they said no).

Interesting results from TGJIB (thanks for taking the time to run the tests), by static streaming am I correct in thinking you mean the dedicated streaming IP as opposed to their regular servers.

Like I say, I still think it might be an Amazon account creation issue but having been able to play video from the laptop makes me think there might be a war round it when using the apps. Just a case of figuring out what it is. I probably won't actually use it much but it's just something that's bugging me so I'm determined to try and crack it.

Coffee time then time to dive in again.

One thing I did just try. I still have the Express trial unexpired. Using the phone with that enabled on both WiFi and mobile data I'm able to access and play Netflix USA. Amazon brings up geo block messages once videos are selected.

Sent using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Interesting results from TGJIB (thanks for taking the time to run the tests), by static streaming am I correct in thinking you mean the dedicated streaming IP as opposed to their regular servers.

Correct. As I listed above, the only time I got any geoblock was when I connected (just for comparison purposes) via one of TG's regular (non-static IP streaming) servers.

When I connected via the static streaming IP I purchased as the add-on, everything was flawless, whether on PC or Android tablet, via router VPN wifi or TG app on the device.

I am looking for a  VPN for one device  that will allow me to access and stream BBC ITV Channel 4 in the UK and which is easy to install, easy to use and is reasonably priced. Also offer me good support if I have a problem.

I am currently using SaferVPN which is very erratic with speeds and availablity.

Any suggestions,

I'm getting close to thinking I might just throw the towel in on this as I'm not sure it's going to be fixable currently.  It's all down to the way Amazon runs its video business IMO.  With Netflix, you pay the rate of their membership and wherever you go to you will get served up the content Netflix are licensed for in that region, no matter where, UK, USA, France, Mexico, Thailand.  A kinda roving membership model.  Provided you are satisfied with the content there's no pi55ing about and it will just give you what you're entitled too.  If not, you can US a VPN and access Netflix US or UK from wherever.  

Amazon is different and is either single country based OR, if outside an Amazon account country you can sign up to the international offering (which I'd no way recommend seeing as a year plus after launch the content is still totally crap - so much so that they even extended the 50% offer from 6 to 12 months). Once you sign up for an account in one Amazon account country that's what you get and that's where your Prime Video is tied to.  When you leave that country you will need to use a VPN to access that SPECIFIC country's Amazon video service.  AFAIK you won't be able to access your video content with Amazon even where you sign up for Prime Video in one Amazon account country and move to another and move to another Amazon account country.

In my case, I'm guessing I COULD cancel my international membership, use the VPN for a UK location, go over to the UK account I'm currently registered with at Amazon, sign up for Prime Video again then come back out and start accessing the UK catalogue using the VPN.  I have a feeling that will work.  Trouble is, I bought a dedicated streaming IP for the US with Torguard and I'd need to change that to a UK.  I'm not yet sure how the US Netflix catalogue compares to the UK.  I'm guessing it's less.  So I'm not really sure I want to go down that route.  Indeed, given that streaming is not my primary reason for buying this VPN I'm questioning whether going the Torguard route is worth it at all.  Fine if it all worked out the box but if it's going to be a major pi55 about with the need to close and re-open accounts, move country in terms of IP address, it's not worth the hassle for me.  Carve out the streaming (which would have been a nice to have IF it worked) and there's little need for to me continue with a premium service like Torguard where a service like Pure will do the tasks that are left behind just as well.

Just odd that I can access USA content via my browser on my laptop with the vpn and play it vs using the apps which comes to a dead end regardless.  What I can't do though is fathom how (if indeed there is away) to make whatever Amazon is 'seeing' when I access services in that way replicate and work with the apps.

Overall I've found Torguard pretty good and their CS responsive.  The Amazon issue I have is I think not something they would be able to resolve.  The back and forth of one liner emails got a bit tiresome at one stage, especially when someone else picked up the exchange and suggested things tried 10 emails ago.  In some aspects though the response / knowledge was sub-par IMO,  as an example, they never even got close to addressing why, on the Nvidia Shield TV, with the TG app running, the Amazon Video app won’t even start but started immediately once it was turned off.

I could invest another complete day with this but I'm not sure it's time well spent, especially as the sun is shining, and I doubt it will end with a result so I'll look later at whether Netflix USA is worth keeping the premium VPN service for (initial impressions are that it won't be, tons of dated crap that I either have seen or possess already or that I'm simply not interested in) and if not, refund it and go with something like Pure.

10 minutes ago, lelapin said:

I am looking for a  VPN for one device  that will allow me to access and stream BBC ITV Channel 4 in the UK and which is easy to install, easy to use and is reasonably priced. Also offer me good support if I have a problem.

I am currently using SaferVPN which is very erratic with speeds and availablity.

Any suggestions,

Do you want to watch on a PC/Laptop or an android device?

29 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Any suggestions,

I've just tried accessing BBC iPlayer from a regular (e.g. not a premium dedicated streaming IP / server) UK (London) server using both TorGuard and Express, both work fine.  Obviously you'll have to decide for yourself if their price is reasonable.

35 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Just odd that I can access USA content via my browser on my laptop with the vpn and play it vs using the apps which comes to a dead end regardless.  What I can't do though is fathom how (if indeed there is away) to make whatever Amazon is 'seeing' when I access services in that way replicate and work with the apps.

It's not odd at all. As I said, it is likely a DNS issue and I am still waiting for your PM with the screenshots. (if you are still interested in help resolving this. The solution may be simple)

When doing this, please also take a screenshot of the entire https://ipleak.net or https://ipx.ac/ test results in both your laptop (where Amazon works) and the Android devices (where Amazon doesn't work).

P.S. Tests must be performed while you are connected to the VPN of course. Also, knowing which router model you use may be important.

26 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

When doing this, please also take a screenshot of the entire https://ipleak.net or https://ipx.ac/ test results in both your laptop (where Amazon works) and the Android devices (where Amazon doesn't work).

Just want to be clear for those reading at large here: I've now tested Amazon Prime with my U.S.-based account with three different Android tablets -- a Fire tablet, a locally sourced LTE regular Android tablet, and a U.S. sourced wifi only tablet -- and it has worked perfectly fine on all three using TG's streaming static IP for the U.S. -- both via router vpn and app on device.

That would seem to be a pretty strong indication that the issues SooKee is having with Amazon are a function of the multi-country way in which his Amazon accounts are configured or some other individual circumstance vs. any inability of the TG VPN to deliver what it promises. Not trying to minimize or disregard his issues, just saying, they probably are somewhat unique.  Otherwise, I'd be experiencing the same problems, and I am not.

38 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

It's not odd at all. As I said, it is likely a DNS issue and I am still waiting for your PM with the screenshots. (if you are still interested in help resolving this. The solution may be simple)

P.S. Tests must be performed while you are connected to the VPN of course. Also, knowing which router model you use may be important.

Yeah, thanks will PM you shortly, just ploughing through a list of things I also need to try.  One of the things TG told me to change was the DNS settings at the router to 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.2.  Tried that, no good.  But I'll do the screen shots shortly.  Actually I did provide them to Nord when trying to fathom a similar issue (with them no services were working) and they reckoned all was well.  Of course, they may have been looking for something different.  Bear with me.

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just want to be clear for those reading at large here: I've now tested Amazon Prime with my U.S.-based account with three different Android tablets -- a Fire tablet, a locally sourced LTE regular Android tablet, and a U.S. sourced wifi only tablet -- and it has worked perfectly fine on all three using TG's streaming static IP for the U.S. -- both via router vpn and app on device.

That would seem to be a pretty strong indication that the issues SooKee is having with Amazon are a function of the multi-country way in which his Amazon accounts are configured or some other individual circumstance vs. any inability of the TG VPN to deliver what it promises. Not trying to minimize or disregard his issues, just saying, they probably are somewhat unique.  Otherwise, I'd be experiencing the same problems, and I am not.

Yup.  As I said.  Amazon works different to Netflix.  With Netflix no matter what, you well get the service from a designated country if you sign in from a VPN with an IP based in that country.  Amazon isn't the same and it depends which end you're coming at it from.

If you have an account in an Amazon country already with Prime Video you will be able to access the video catalogue of THAT country from Thailand using a VPN with a server / IP based in THAT country.  If you've come at it from the other end, e.g. signed up for the international version, it doesn't seem possible to access an Amazon account country catalogue based on your international membership, or at least, not where using the apps are concerned.  As I said above, there's even an issue if you have a full Prime account in one Amazon country and move to another Amazon country (e.g. USA to UK), your Prime Video content will be tied to the USA and you'll need a VPN to access it.  As I also said above, I don't think TG will be able to resolve the issues I have (because of the way Amazon works).

What has been interesting is that this has illustrated the significant differences with regard to how the two companies provide their streaming services.

As an aside, all the other services I would wish to access with TG work fine, as I expected they would.  I think my Amazon issue is fixable by doing the country based sign up as I indicated above.  Just not inclined to do so, albeit I'll give the possible DNS issue a shot once I get that far.

My router is an Asus RT-AC86U.

51 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

Interesting.  I'm on AIS Fibre with IPv4 and IPv6 activated.  When running the ipleak.net test with a Pure VPN connection to Seattle some Thailand and  Singapore addresses still appear along with some US addresses..  Pure uses IPv4 for its VPN connections. 

OK I now turn off IPv6 in on my computer end....no need to call AIS Fibre and tell them to deactivate IPv6 on my account...remake the VPN connection to San Francisco  and  the only IP addresses are US addresses.   

So, it appears if you have IPv6 activated (if your ISP provides an IPv6 in addition to the standard IPv4) on your device and even though a person is  making a IPv4 connection via VPN to a certain streaming service "and if that streaming servicing is also sniffing for any IPv6 address/leakage from your  computer which is not from the right country" then that streaming service might geo-block you.

Additionally, AIS Mobile and AIS Fibre make major use of IPv6  when you look at IPv6 usage statistics....other ISPs like 3BB have little IPv6 usage as a percentage of their customers.  Can't speed for other mobile carriers like  True, DTAC, etc.   

BTW, I haven't found this to be an issue with the national streaming services in the U.S. like Amazon and Netflix and Hulu. But for various of the online cable TV replacement services, they typically need to locate your device to a specific area for determining what channel lineup to provide. And the VPN services alone, even if the server is in a particular area, doesn't always seem to meet their particular location demands.

But for Android devices like tablets with GPS capability (unlike streaming boxes or dongles that typically don't have traditional GPS), using one of several similar Android apps like "Fake GPS" can sometimes be helpful. That app and ones like it allow you to set a specific GPS location via the app that puts your tablet or other GPS enabled device in a specific place. Which can be matched to your VPN setting, etc etc.

As I said, the national streaming services don't get down to demanding that level of locational detail, because their content catalogs are the same regardless of whether you're in New York or California. But some of the other very popular cable replacement services do demand that higher level of locational specificity, and the Android GPS spoofing apps help provide that.

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

Interesting.  I'm on AIS Fibre with IPv4 and IPv6 activated.  When running the ipleak.net test with a Pure VPN connection to Seattle some Thailand and  Singapore addresses still appear along with some US addresses..  Pure uses IPv4 for its VPN connections. 

OK I now turn off IPv6 in on my computer end....no need to call AIS Fibre and tell them to deactivate IPv6 on my account...remake the VPN connection to San Francisco  and  the only IP addresses are US addresses.   

So, it appears if you have IPv6 activated (if your ISP provides an IPv6 in addition to the standard IPv4) on your device and even though a person is  making a IPv4 connection via VPN to a certain streaming service "and if that streaming servicing is also sniffing for any IPv6 address/leakage from your  computer which is not from the right country" then that streaming service might geo-block you.

Additionally, AIS Mobile and AIS Fibre make major use of IPv6  when you look at IPv6 usage statistics....other ISPs like 3BB have little IPv6 usage as a percentage of their customers.  Can't speed for other mobile carriers like  True, DTAC, etc.   

Yeah I have IPv6 disabled on the router and on devices where there is a setting to do so (e.g. Nvidia Shield).

Archived