SWM Motorcycles in Thailand

Richard-BKK

What do we think about the chances of SWM Motorcycles in the Thai market? SWM Motorcycles basically sells the Husqvarna models that KTM CEO Stefan Pierer killed after he bought Husqvarna from BMW.

Also SWM Motorcycles manufactures motorcycles and operates out of the old factory of Husqvarna in Italy.

I know that currently some Thai entrepreneurs are talking with SWM Motorcycles to setup a Thai distributor and dealerships. So do you think they can take a slice of the market?

SWM Motorcycles is heavily financed and owned by Chinese motorcycle giant Shineray, the CEO of Shineray has said that all SWM Motorcycles will be ‘Made in Italy’ products.

For the 2016 and 2017 models it seems that only the plastic parts are imported and produced in China.

If you not know about SWM Motorcycles or what Husqvarna produced before KTM CEO Stefan Pierer bought it… you can checkout http://www.swm-motorcycles.it/en

All motorcycles SWM Motorcycles currently makes are with the approval of the current owner of Husqvarna….

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

Richard. These are superb bikes , with high quality components , but , if they are taxed to the level KTM,s are , they wont sell many.  They also need to be really 100% legal - no emission issues further down the "ownership line". If these issues are addresed and  overcome , then dealerships need to be put into place , stocked with both spares and qualified mechanics.  The quality of these bikes is up there with KTM , but , we arent exactly tripping over all the 550,000 Baht ktms sold , are we. Sales given todays issues , will be small and slow. There also seems to be a lack of 250 - 350 and 450 Enduro models.  Exactly the bikes KTM are selling the "most" of.

• Like 1

I agree that importing the SWM Motorcycles from Italy would make them expensive, especially for the small-capacity bikes 125 up to 500cc. But it’s possible that in the near future that some models will also be manufactured in China. We can see that this will be successful as Benelli is doing very well in Asia (especially in India).

Benelli only manufacture the small capacity motorcycles in China and the Italian side of the company concentrates on the manufacturing of the big bikes.

All motorcycles SWM Motorcycles are compliant with the Euro 4 emission standard, as Thailand is still at the Euro 3+ standard we can assume that exhaust emission will not be any problem.

SWM Motorcycles have 125cc, 300cc 500cc 650cc in Enduro and Supermoto styles, they also have two retro classic models with a 440cc engine and a 650cc Adventure bike. Plus a 340cc professional enduro and 250cc MX/motocross machine

Richard.  The link you provided was great , thanks. The 300 Enduro is an "odd" size engine , but should be much better than a 250.  Why cant Kawasaki bring out a 300 Fi KLX.     I dont want to sound negative , or put you off , but many ( expensive ? ) things need to be in place for people to be confident in buyng these models. If there are too few dealerships , or concerns they will "up-shop" after a year or two , people wont buy.   The taxation situation also needs to be corrected. Richard you know the local industry better than i , or anyone else ive dealt with , to be honest. If these high quality bikes can be brought to market , at the right price , they will compete directly with KTM.  More people are buying these types of bikes.  They will sell. but , not in big numbers. Theres no other company doing this with this "level "of bike . The Kawasaki KLX is a superb bike ,  on a dual-sport level. The Honda CRF , a bit of a diaster. Before id buy one , id want a good service / dealership infastructure well in place.  But i wish all the luck if you , or anybody else , makes a go of this.

• Like 1

If they are as good as the pre-BMW ones, I'd take an 'Asian' priced SM500R in a heartbeat..... but I am guessing that if they are made in Italy on the same lines they used to be, then they will be expensive and have sales issues like KTMJeff has mentioned. Wouldn't make much sense shelling out big coin for an almost 10 year old 'design' when you can get the 'new' km-like ones for the same crazy hight price ;)

If they are cheap it will mean corners have been cut. If they are the same as the originals, they will be expensive..... kind of a no-win really.

Still, I'm quite a fan of the new EXC FE501 in SM trim :D 

21761660449_930d3b6a00_b.jpg

It not take that much to make them “made In China”, if the engine, frame, suspension come from China and some parts like Mikuni EFI, tires from Thailand, wheels and plastic and other accessories it would be possible to pass as an “Made in China” motorcycle… and being less than 350cc (maximum small bike capacity) if will benefit from the free trade agreement with China and Thailand.

It would even be possible that the Kayaba suspension comes from the KYB factory in Thailand, as it's now partly owned by Yamaha and Toyota... Most Kayaba suspension used for motorcycles now-a-day comes from India or Thailand anyway...

Edited by Richard-BKK

If these bikes could be classed / taxed as a Chinese / free trade  bike ( i never knew there was a maximun 350cc limit ) then with components sourced "locally" to Asia , the bikes would / could be priced very well , otherwise they have no advantage over the more  stablished KTM brand.  If the 300 Endure came to about 250,000 / 300,000 Baht "on the road" , then compared to a 150,000 Baht 250 KLX and a KTM EXC 350 at 400,000 + Baht people will be queing up , and id be there too.  I have a few KTM,s and a Husaberg FE 450 greenlaner , but no Husky - yet.

The person I spoke with at Shineray Motorcycles said, they could be competitive with what a Honda CRF250L or Honda CRF250L cost, of course they're more expensive as suspension and build is of higher quality... The SWM RS300R pumps a amazing 39 horsepower (similar to a twin-cylinder Kawasaki Ninja 300)... without any modifications...

I hope there not aiming to price it down , quality wise , to a "Honda" level.  Kiss of death , right there.  People will pay more for a quality product. The quality of components , and the levels of design and finish on Husqvarnas / KTM,s  are so much higher ,and more advanced.  They are premium products. That comes at a price. People expect , and do , pay more for a quality product.  Im concentrating my thoughts on the Enduro bikes as we have similar bikes already - KLX / CRF / EXC - that can guide us with base values , RE , performance , quality , price.

If the SWM Motorcycles make it onto the Thai market, they will be identical to the models sold in Europe. But they will be priced competitive… I not expect them to be 160,000 THB, maybe more near 200,000 THB…

Personally, I know a few people who bought a Honda CRF250L and Kawasaki KLX250 who wanted to do some off-road riding and spend a good amount of money to get a bit more power. With the SWM RS300R not much people would complain about stock power the bike delivers, also the KYB suspension is aftermarket quality…

To be honest the Honda CRF250L and Kawasaki KLX250 look they can go off-road, similar like SUV cars… But when you really want to do off-road you quickly find that the bikes need some upgrades… and even with all upgrades in place the CRF250L and KLX250 are nothing like a stock SMW RS300R…

Edited by Richard-BKK

If they are the same quality as Europe ( i dont doubht your word ) , and the big name components are still produced to the same standard , they can , and will , sell this bike at a premium. 200K will be a bargain. You can count me in. Im a KLX fan , but i know , and eccept , its limitations , when used off-road , in a spirited manner. Thats why i called it a Dual-sport. My only concern will be if SWM are tempted to cost cut  in order to be priced close to the KLX.  It will cheapen the brand. SWM are in possesion  of a high quality motorcycle , up there with KTM. They must aim high , and maintain the high standards and quality of Husqvarna. Exciting times ahead i do believe.

I'd be extremely surprised if anyone could launch a ~300cc 'road-legal enduro' like the European ones for 200,000Bt.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I would say that many parts would have to have their quality compromised for that to be achieved. 

The KLX is a very 'basic' point of comparison. It is basically 20 years old and was great in its day, but is nothing special these days. It's not an MX bike, but a decent 'trail/woods/dual-sport' bike which was its design intention.

If only, if only, if only we could get a KTM EXC450/500 / Yamaha WR450F / CRF450X /  Kawasaki KLX450R for around 300,000Bt.... then the world would be a better place....lol

denkiblue555 , this is my concern. If they try to cost cut too much. They must not cheap-out. Look at the damage this has had on Honda. They need to maintain SWM as a high quality product. Saving even 50K wont do it any favours. If the price target is around 200K then great news , we will all have one - no offence to the KLX.  The RS 300 R is £4500 - £4900 in England (216,000 - 235,000 Baht ).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Did anything more come out of this SWM press release. Their 440cc engine is similar to the Stallion 400 , both being produced by Shineray , who have released several Jawa models in Europe with the same 400 engine. With Honda  messing up with the 25 bhp CRF 450 , we need a decent enduro bike more than ever.