Have water pump but pressure up and down...

bamboozled

A ton of info on here now, thanks everybody. I turned off the pump completely yesterday just to see what would happen. Well, as expected the water pressure went way down especially in the upstairs bathroom, so it is indeed functioning to some degree. And let me say again that I made a mistake in my first post saying the pressure in the sink was good. It isn't. It's just that it is not such an issue as there is not the fluctuating water temp so I had not really paid enough attention to the pressure there. After putting up my first post I started to doubt myself and so in checking that sink again I realized that the pressure was indeed not great. I will check the pressure from the inlet pipe before it gets to the heater. That's a downer if indeed the heater is restricting the amount of water. I do recall having this issue in my last house. 

Whatever the ultimate pressure problem is, the pump does indeed have a leak so it makes sense to get that repaired…and have a "technician" take a look-see at the whole shebang.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: the Son-O-Law came yesterday morning with what must have been a pump expert in tow. They banged about for awhile around the pump and messed around in the upstairs bathroom, the one with the heater. He said they adjusted the pump, that my wiring for the 4500w water heater was sub par and would burn, and that I should have a 6000w heater.

Anyhow…whatever they did indeed increased my water pressure in all outlets, to my surprise. I say to my surprise because whatever they did to the pump, or rather around it, was very quick. They did open and close various outlet/inlet pipes in the Rube Goldberg setup there but I did not see them fuss with the pump. They cared nought about the leaking gasket. Anyhow, I'm happy with the pressure. It is still fluctuating quite a bit, however, enough so that the hot water is still up and down in temp. I'm thinking this is due to no shut off valve from the city water supply to the house, as previously mentioned. I think I will install one myself and see if that fixes the problem. I don't recall having this issue in other houses with water pumps.

Cheers all!

Bill97 you're correct and thanks for reminding me to look at that. On the other hand, which "electrician" here installs an appliance to regulation? I don't want to change that one wire and make all the other wires in the house feel bad. I will check it but I am 99% sure the wire feeding the breaker for this heater is sub-standard, too, with no ground. And anyway, the breaker is attached out in the open on the wall just above the shower outlet. Well, it most likely will not get wet "way up there."

The other point I was making is that this guy does crappy sub-par jerry rigged work and for him to point out sub-standard wiring is a joke.

Archived