Australian DJ jailed for life in Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Same here did my share of MDMA in the past and so have my friends while holding normal jobs. Never a problem.. but great parties. I do miss the Dutch drug laws (not enough to move back though :D

But I find these punishments hard.. 24 pils .. look at what people get with meth .. far less than this. 

I don't get it, i was a young man in London in the 60's and lived in some of the worlds capital cities in the 70's, never got involved with drugs or wanted to. I hitched all round Europe for a year in the flower power era and smoked one joint in all that time. Did i drink alcohol, yes in moderation enough to get a buzz without being totally bonkers. If ecstacy is ya baa then all i can say is it does do a great deal of damage not just to the individual but to complete families as far as i can see in my village. I think a long prison sentence is OK, they know the rules, it's all bling and Mr big if they don't get caught. The police and army here aren't as stupid as one might think,even in my Isaan village there are one or two soldiers in the shadows at night,waiting and watching. I have very bright outside lights on my garden wall,an army officer asked me politely if i could turn them off after 8 in the evening they are waiting for a dealer, they got him,my neighbours son.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

For Thai authorities involved with ruining that young man's life:  One word:  DISGUSTING.

There are other factors.   Thai authorities know that catching a farang can mean a BIG PAY-OFF.  Farang have proven hundreds of times that, if they need to drum up get-out-of-jail money, they can.  Same for stuck-in-jail money, re; better food and modest favors.   A farang caught breaking the law in Thailand has a big flashing neon sign on his chest saying (to Thai authorities):  HERE IS DESPERATE FARANG - WILL PAY ANYTHING TO GET OUT !!!

p.s.  I met a nice humble young Brit in Thailand. I found out later he had been a target of a sting operation.  Another farang (an Austrian, working with cops) went up to the Brit to ask where to get a false passport.  The Brit unwittingly said, "maybe at that photo shop" and walked the Austrian there.  Cops arrested the Brit.  It cost him Bt.200k to get free.   Conclusion:  There's ALWAYS a money connection to any farang who's involved with illegal activity in Thailand, whether the charge is contrived or real.  On a smaller scale, it can happen with tossing a cig butt on a sidewalk.  Instant Bt.2000 for attending authorities. Some stories relate that there was no cig butt tossed by the non-smoking farang.

You know that you can get sentenced to death for drug offences in Thailand?! If you are willing to break the law then you must be ready to face any possible punishment too!

But if you think this is disgusting then look at US where there are people that got life sentences (3rd strike) for stealing things like 4 chocolate cookies. Another example is a lady that spent over 20 years in US prison because her friend robbed and killed the owner of a gas station while the woman was in the car... High and asleep!

Or the children in Thailand, Laos and basically all over SEA, that's been molested by convicted sex offenders as their home countriesbeen aloud them to leave in the first place!

Those are real injustices by legal systems!!!

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I don't get it, i was a young man in London in the 60's and lived in some of the worlds capital cities in the 70's, never got involved with drugs or wanted to. I hitched all round Europe for a year in the flower power era and smoked one joint in all that time. Did i drink alcohol, yes in moderation enough to get a buzz without being totally bonkers. If ecstacy is ya baa then all i can say is it does do a great deal of damage not just to the individual but to complete families as far as i can see in my village. I think a long prison sentence is OK, they know the rules, it's all bling and Mr big if they don't get caught. The police and army here aren't as stupid as one might think,even in my Isaan village there are one or two soldiers in the shadows at night,waiting and watching. I have very bright outside lights on my garden wall,an army officer asked me politely if i could turn them off after 8 in the evening they are waiting for a dealer, they got him,my neighbours son.

Ecstacy is not yaba. Yaba is methamphetamine - awful drug and certainly up there with crack cocaine, heroin (and perhaps alcohol to be honest) for it's addictive properties, effect on health and society in general (eg theft and burglary).

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Excessive sentence for both men,thats their life over.but if you do the crime,

be prepared to do the time.

regards worgeordie

Totally agree with you. We never seem to hear what a Thai gets for the same crime. I assume it is a simple I large sentence. Does anyone know what a Thai is likely to get?

6 hours ago, mercman24 said:

one rule for THAI one rule for FARANG, should know, it is written in the statute book, this is a job only THAI can do,

Well it wasn't that long ago when the "rule for THAI" was pretty harsh. Not saying it's a good thing, but hardly a lax approach to policing Thai drug dealers ... sort of like what appears to be happening in the Philippines now.

Published: April 8, 2003

BANGKOK, April 7— An extraordinary campaign of government-approved killings is under way in Thailand -- a crackdown on drug dealers that has taken as many as 2,000 lives over the past two months, an average of 30 a day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/08/world/a-wave-of-drug-killings-is-linked-to-thai-police.html

Edited by Suradit69

2 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Totally agree with you. We never seem to hear what a Thai gets for the same crime. I assume it is a simple I large sentence. Does anyone know what a Thai is likely to get?

Pu Yai's son in my village got 6 years for selling ya baa at university

6 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

I grew up in the UK in the 80s and was a teenager in the 90s - MDMA is neither addictive, nor 'hard', it simply needs to be treated responsibly.

As a parent, I'm perfectly happy for my kid to take he when he gets older, as I did and much of my generation did when I was younger. Not in this country though, it's unfortunately backward in terms of drug legislation.

I'd far prefer my son to be taking ecstasy as a teenager than for him to be binge drinking like most kids do.

I see what you are trying to say but whether or not you are personally against it is so irrelevant it is not funny. The law is the law and they broke it know the concequences  - you don't make an 'easy' $50k selling a few cases of vodka - because it is NOT illegal. Time and crime. they got what the law says they should get. 

In a country where murders / rapists / people driving cars like lunatics - at least some of the criminals are dealt with correctly.  

Edited by graeme64

10 minutes ago, graeme64 said:

I see what you are trying to say but whether or not you are personally against it is so irrelevant it is not funny. The law is the law and they broke it know the concequences  - you don't make an 'easy' $50k selling a few cases of vodka - because it is NOT illegal. Time and crime. they got what the law says they should get. 

In a country where murders / rapists / people driving cars like lunatics - at least some of the criminals are dealt with correctly.  

My comment was more in response to a prior post than the OP:

joeyg

Deal hard drugs.  Should be executed.  Now before you jump on me.  Think of how you'd feel if one of your children got addicted or died from his drugs.  That's what I thought...

My son won't be taking drugs here with my blessing if the current legislation persists. Might move to Portugal or Uruguay though as he reaches his teens. Decent climate, low corruption, politically stable and more progressive laws regarding personal freedoms (and decent tax rules).

That said, the world is beginning to change in regard to drug laws, so we'll see how it is in 5 years or so.

In terms of the OP, fully agree that the bloke in question should have been aware of the potential punishment for his actions.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

At 72 and having lived through through the sixties in London I've probably done more different drugs than most people , except heroin which fortunately I wasn't stupid enough to take. That said all those on this forum who are suggesting that taking so and so is perfectly safe and alcohol etc is far worse are not taking one major problem into consideration which makes the taking of all these drugs seriously dangerous and potentially addictive  and that is that all dealers and I mean all of them cut their drugs to make their supply bigger and they cut them with drugs and posions which are far more dangerous than the drugs themselves. Luckily I gave all of them up many years ago and now just have a glass of wine once in a while. But for me who saw so many deaths from friends and acquaintances that had accidentally overdosed on all types including LSD , ectasy, and cocaine there is no way i would condone the taking of anything that is made by amateur chemists who couldn't give a shit about the users.

Edited by leggo
spelling errors

5 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

My comment was more in response to a prior post than the OP:

My son won't be taking drugs here with my blessing if the current legislation persists.

Might move to Portugal or Uruguay though. Decent climate, more progressive laws.

fair enough - missed the point. There is so much wrong with thailand - the laws determining what drugs I can and cna not take are way down the list. (I dont take any drugs now - I have much more expensive habit - red wine!) 

I love living here but the legal system is a joke. ho hum,  

Many interesting and different views here on drugs.

Only time in my life i was on drugs was when i was on morphine after my accident.'

The hallucinations and nightmares were terrifying i was going crazy.

I was doing some really stupid crazy things. My wife told me later and i could not believe what she told me.

Anybody who willingly takes drugs of any kind is a bloody idiot.

He deserves all he gets for having anything to do with drugs.

14 minutes ago, graeme64 said:

fair enough - missed the point. There is so much wrong with thailand - the laws determining what drugs I can and cna not take are way down the list. (I dont take any drugs now - I have much more expensive habit - red wine!) 

I love living here but the legal system is a joke. ho hum,  

For sure, it's not the only factor in the decision :) I like Thailand but aspects of it are starting to grate on me. Luckily my wife is up for moving if it ever comes to that - just not to the UK (don't blame her) :D.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

29 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

First mistake XTC is not Yabaa, so if you don't know what your talking about better read up first. But you made your choices and I made mine.

29 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

First mistake XTC is not Yabaa, so if you don't know what your talking about better read up first. But you made your choices and I made mine.

12 minutes ago, leggo said:

At 72 and having lived through through the sixties in London I've probably done more different drugs than most people , except heroin which fortunately I wasn't stupid enough to take. That said all those on this forum who are suggesting that taking so and so is perfectly safe and alcohol etc is far worse are not taking one major problem into consideration which makes the taking of all these drugs seriously dangerous and potentially addictive  and that is that all dealers and I mean all of them cut their drugs to make their supply bigger and they cut them with drugs and posions which are far more dangerous than the drugs themselves. Luckily I gave all of them up many years ago and now just have a glass of wine once in a while. But for me who saw so many deaths from friends and acquaintances that had accidentally overdosed on all types including LSD , ectasy, and cocaine there is no way i would condone the taking of anything that is made by amateur chemists who couldn't give a shit about the users.

That is why in the Netherlands we could let our pils be tested to know that we did not get crap. Also when there were bad pills around the government would act and warn us. 

MDMA hardly qualifies as a hard drug.  Not addictive, can maintain control under the influence, doesnt impact on anyone else other than the person taking.  Sounds better than Alcohol and cigarettes.  Crazy sentences.  War on drugs is a complete disaster and only creates a stronger market for hard drugs as pushers try to profit from addiction and depression.  

7 hours ago, joeyg said:

Deal hard drugs.  Should be executed.  Now before you jump on me.  Think of how you'd feel if one of your children got addicted or died from his drugs.  That's what I thought...

Right and how about if your kid was caught with a few pills. Executed? Thats what I thought...

A lot of illegal drug "experts" from personal experience on this thread. Doesn't that set off any alarm bells with anyone?  :blink:

Ye gods, no wonder I have this urge to avoid farangs in Thailand.  :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fookhaht

Well, I wouldn' t blame the drug dealers...I'd blame my children and probably myself. Much in the way I wouldn't blame Thaibev if someone drunk on Chang crashed into me :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Australia might just free him. I am not sure why would Thai judgement hold in Australia, especially since he already served 6 years for an offence he would get 1-2 years in Australia....if that.

Just guessing. Correct me if wrong.

Wrong have another guess of you can't read the agreement

The most dangerous thing young people do when coming here is get complacent.  They arrive reasonably alert to the concept that getting caught with anything illegal could have dire consequence.  But once they start to see (in this case) ease of access, frequent use by others in their groups, and generally a sense that nothing bad will happen..., BAM!   It's at this point they fear their lives could be over and asking themselves in retrospect "What was I thinking?".  Too often..., too late.

Hope there's a path to reduce their sentences and get them back home.     

1 hour ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Ecstacy is not yaba. Yaba is methamphetamine - awful drug and certainly up there with crack cocaine, heroin (and perhaps alcohol to be honest) for it's addictive properties, effect on health and society in general (eg theft and burglary).

And what else is the ecstacy sold here  pressed with...crack is common.

Edited by Don Mega