Best Spaghetti Sauce to buy

Mekong Bob

I don't use very much processed foods, but I've always loved Paul Newman pasta sauces.  I know you used to be able to get them here, but I haven't looked for it so can't comment.

When I was much younger, before finding my love for cooking, I found with all the jars of sauces that it was a case of experimenting.  Long and slow process, but the only way to find out which ones you really like.  The good thing about pasta sauce in particular is that if you get one you really don't like, you can smother it with parmesan and make it palatable.  Every time you go, see which one is on special and give it a try.  If I remember correctly, there can be a big difference in the taste of various recipes within the same brand, i.e. Tomato and Mushroom, Tomato and Basil, Tomato and Cheese - much more difference that I would have expected there to be.

I was in Big C Extra on the Superhighway yesterday looking for my fix of HP Sauce (one processed food I'll never give up for anyone because: fried eggs), and noticed that they seemed to have a lot of brands of imported pasta sauces (in the aisle opposite the cheese\salami\butter fridge) that I haven't noticed before.  

Happy experimenting.

You could ask Arcobaleno, they're great people and will probably oblige. Most of the commercial sauces are so unhealthy that even a person who is not usually concerned about such things, becomes concerned. Note: Ragu is right up there with the worst of them, note also that Newmans is rated highly.:

http://www.eatthis.com/pasta-sauce

Edited by chiang mai

When I'm too lazy to make my own, I buy a good pasta sauce and improve on it by adding

to  it garlic, oregano, basil and other herbs that I like, finishing with grated

parmigiano cheese, and it comes out

like 5 star restaurant sauce......

Agnesi Basilico or Napoletana are reasonably priced, widely available, and taste good to me.

If you don't mind spending a little more money, Ragu Rustico Italiano in the Promenada Mall has all kinds of Italian food to take away. The meatballs and Italian sausage are quite as good as I've ever had in or near Chiang Mai.

When I'm too lazy to make my own, I buy a good pasta sauce and improve on it by adding

to  it garlic, oregano, basil and other herbs that I like, finishing with grated

parmigiano cheese, and it comes out

like 5 star restaurant sauce......

Its like 5 star restaurant sauce because that is probably exactly what they are doing [emoji2]

Regarding making your own..., do tommies up this way rippen to the extent that they have full flavour ?
Many I see at the markets seem to be picked way too early..., or is it the climate up here..., i.e. not close enough to Mediterranean to produce full flavored fruit ?
Please excuse me..., I'm not intending to hijack this thread...., home in Australia, if/when I buy a product it's usually Barilla.., or if I can find it, Paul Newman pasta sauce. 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

16 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Also..., for myself I'll always add my own preference of ingredients..., especially when I'm back in my home country and have access to a home garden. Food.., and Pasta especially is very subjective thing.   

Edited by Sandy Freckle

2 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Regarding making your own..., do tommies up this way rippen to the extent that they have full flavour ?
Many I see at the markets seem to be picked way too early

Hi Sandy,

I use a mix of large, and baby tomoatoes, with a little tomato puree or passata, and have the sauce on a slow simmer. I find the flavour intensifies as the sauce reduces down. 

Hope this helps,

Imelda