Overstay since May

I'm involved in recruiting for my employer and we found an applicant that we like. However, this person just told us that he lost is passport a few months ago and has been on overstay since May this year. He says that he advised his consulate and cancelled his passport. 

If he was to get a new passport and visit immigration to sort out the overstay, what is likely to happen to him? Would they lock him up and deport him? What are his best options at this stage of the game....?

With an overstay of that length he should avoid any contact with immigration. I would say there is a high chance he would be arrested and sent through the legal process, which would involve deportation and a 5 year ban.

He should report the lost passport to the police (a police report is needed when leaving the country), get a new/temporary passport and leave the country, but even then there is a high chance he will be banned for 1 year as his overstay is over 90 days.

If he leaves via one of the Bangkok airports (and he should not even think about clearing his overstay any other way) whether he is blacklisted from returning to Thailand within a year may well depend (i) on his nationality; and (ii) whether he is returning home or going to a neighboring country with an apparent intention of remaining in the region . If he is not blacklisted, it should be pretty easy to arrange his return if both sides want it to happen.

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

If he leaves via one of the Bangkok airports (and he should not even think about clearing his overstay any other way) whether he is blacklisted from returning to Thailand within a year may well depend (i) on his nationality; and (ii) whether he is returning home or going to a neighboring country with an apparent intention of remaining in the region . If he is not blacklisted, it should be pretty easy to arrange his return if both sides want it to happen.

He can't leave because he doesn't have a passport!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, captainhornblower said:

He can get an emergency travel document from his Embassy. 

My guess is that he'll need a Police Report to obtain this. 

I believe an emergency travel document will only permit him to travel to his home country.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I believe an emergency travel document will only permit him to travel to his home country.

That depends upon the country he is from. Many countries issue them that are like a emergency passport that allow a person to travel anywhere on them. Some are valid for a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captainhornblower said:

If he has no intention to get a passport, there is no legal solution. Even if he waits until he is arrested and deported, he will need some kind of travel document.

If a peeson loses their passport they should first go to the police to report that passortt lost or stolen.

That police report will be required at his or her embessy to apply for a new passport,

I don't know about other nationalities but a U.S passport that was lost or stolen can be replaced with a police report at the U.S. embessy in about 2 weeks if the old passport number can be verified by the state department records from when it was issued.

Nowadays a lost or stolen U.S. passport is considered a very serious thing do to possible use of such a passport by terrorists trying to possibly enter the U.S. with that stolen or lost passport.

For that reason reporting a stolen or lost U.S, passport is now considered as a very important thing, wheras some years back it was not so serious.

These days he U,S. enbessy will treat a reported lost or stolen U.S pasport as a high priority item.

They will require a Thai police report first.

I am sorry but it just seems odd to me that someone would apply for a job in a Foreign Country, and yet at the same time be here illegally on a Overstay and without a Passport even.

In fact this whole Lost Passport theory seems odd to me as well. If he lost his Passport before his Overstay he would have a new one by now. So it seems more likely to me that he lost his passport and by getting a new one he hopes that Thai Immigration won't notice in the New Passport he is on Overstay. Boy! Is he ever in for a big surprise!

I personally wouldn't get involved with him for any job, and find another qualified candidate. There is no good reason why you should deal with this unless he is family and you personally want to give him a job..  

If this guy has been on Overstay since May 2016, then he lost his Passport prior to this or within that Month and has done very little to rectify the problem. It sounds like he is very poorly motivated or concerned about anything.

From your name @surinteacher2016 it sounds as though you are in the business of teaching / supplying teachers etc..   If this guy has applied for a job with your school and he looks like a good (or the best) choice it really makes me wonder about the quality of the other applicants.

Just what did you plan on having this person teach ?

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That depends upon the country he is from. Many countries issue them that are like a emergency passport that allow a person to travel anywhere on them. Some are valid for a year.

yes.  My co worker recently had his passport stolen in Italy.  He was able to get to the USA embassy and got the travel document that is valid for quite some time, I think it was for a full year.  he continued his vacation and later returned to the USA with no issues.  But why this employee candidate canceled his passport sounds fishy.  But that is up to him and his potential employer

11 hours ago, captainhornblower said:

...which would take him a few days (at most ) to obtain a replacement for.   Losing his passport is really a lame excuse for an overstay since May.  And he probably knows Immigration would never buy it.  It's a pain, but pretty routine to get a replacement (or possibly an emergency/temporary one).  Unless, that is, there's some reason he can't get a replacement (or unless he didn't have one to lose in the first place...)

'Not sure what kind of outfit you're recruiting for, but I'd not get further involved with this particular candidate.  Not until he can produce a passport anyway.

I'm with most others on this.

Why even consider this guy if he can't organize his own life. Arranging a new PP, or temporary travel document, is not labor or time intensive, but it seems he just couldn't be bothered.

That's the attitude he'll bring to an employer.

6 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Go to immigration and explain to them that it isn't you but your friend. They may let you through.

Like so many posters on TV.

My friend Is on 5000 days overstay and can't ask the question himself, etc.  What should he (Wink!) do?

• Like 2

On 07/09/2016 at 9:19 PM, Pib said:

He lost his passport a few months ago and although he supposedly notified his consulate to cancel that passport he has not got a new/replacement passport yet?   Something don't sound right with that story especially combined with the long overstay.  Still some undiscovered truth to this story.

I agree, unless his passport was lost by immigration while doing his extension it appears he was already on 2 months overstay prior to then complicating matters by losing his passport. As an applicant for a job he sounds unsuitable.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

From my own personal experience (with British Embassy, but the rules are meant to be consistent by and large against any country), they should let you leave to a neighbouring country, provided that a) you can show that you are a resident of the country (i.e. Thailand) and b)the neighbouring country permits visa-free travel with an ETD (e.g. Cambodia). Some countries do not permit travel on an ETD, so that does limit the options. The ETD normally has an endorsement as to which country/countries you are permitted travel