Yearly visa for long term visitors

Last year I obtained a multi entry visa from the London Embassy.

I went in on one morning and collected the next.

I needed proof of being in recept of a pension, either a letter from the UK Pension Service or a bank account.

125 quid fee,

I had to be retired.

Completed application form.

2 photos

I did not have to show how much the pension was nor provide evidence of any savings.

Is it still the same?

Thanks in advance.

It is unclear what Visa you obtained. Was it the METV or the O-A long stay Visa for over 50 years of age applicants ?

My guess i you have a METV (Multiple entry Tourist Visa).

The O-A long stay visa would have likely required income amount or savings proof in addition to a medical clearance form.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

It is unclear what Visa you obtained. Was it the METV or the O-A long stay Visa for over 50 years of age applicants ?

My guess i you have a METV (Multiple entry Tourist Visa).

The O-A long stay visa would have likely required income amount or savings proof in addition to a medical clearance form.

The Embassy in London will issue a Non 'O' visa to retirees in receipt of state pension.

• Like 1

So you have a Non O from thr Thai embassy in London.?

If you arrive in Thailand you will get a 90 day entry atay atamp each entry for one year until that visa expires.

Now are you aware that you can extend theis visa for one year at a time in Thailand?

You will need to be ove 50 years of age, and there are financial requirements to meet here in Thailand to keep extending your visa each year?

The financial requirements are:

1. A Thai bank acount in the anount of 800K Thai Baht or more in your name at a Thai Bank.
  2. Proof of the equivalent of 65K Thai Baht monthly. This may require your embessy to certify your income
  3. Or a combination of the monthly income (pension or other income) combined to meet the requirement of an annual income of over 800K Thai Baht equivalent annually.

If you can meet these requiements you can apply in Thailand at your immigration office for a yearly extension based on a retirement in Thailand.

This is what people often refer to as a Thai "retirement" visa, but it is really an annual extension of stay in Thailand based on your retirement in Thailand.

if you qualify you can do this each year and extend your original visa each year annually in thailan as long as you meet the requirements.

On this annual "retirement visa" extension you are not allowed to work in Thailand.

Once you have qualfied for such an annual extension you must renew it each year at your local immigrtion office in Thaiand and you are also required to do a 90 day reporting at immigration to basicaly veify your address in Thailand.

You can leave Thailand on visits outside the country to other countries, but you will need to putchase an exit re-entry permit for each trip outside of Thailand to keep your retirement visa extnsion valid  on your rerurn to Thailand.

Do NOT miss any one of your annual  yearly recertifications of your retirement extension interviews or you will lose the whole thing and may be required to restart the whole process over again.

If you do it corectly you can get an annual recertification and remain in Thailand as a retiree for many years as long as you meet the requirements  each year.

Just as long as you can meet the financial requirements and the forms/paperwork required annaully you can stay in Thailand o your "retirement visa" extension for years.

This is not only a U.K. thing, other nationalities can qualify and get the same extension yearly.

The exact rules are dependent on your nationality and your embessy's requirements also.

if you do the process correctly each year, meeting the requirements, you can stay in Thailand as a "retiree" for years without leavng Thailand for another visa.

Or for that matter, you need not  leave Thaiand at all unless you want to do so.

But if for some reason you do want to leave Thailand for a short trip outside of Thailand just remember:

• As a retiree, you need to purchase an exit re-entry permit for each trip outside of Thailand.
  • And do NOT miss your annual re-certification interview

to stay valid as a retire living in Thailand.

6 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Thanks everyone. In my passport it says it's a Non Immigrant Visa, Category O.

The Embassy web site is about as clear as mud.

Boy, do I agree with that! And every city seems to have a different set of rules on their site. Some clearly haven't been updated.

Yank here, same as the OP I never had a problem getting the Type O Non-Im Visa at the consulate in Boston, 4 or 5 times; as recently as early 2014 I got it and spent the year there, but have spent all of 2015 and most of 2016 in the states. Single guy, 54, no family there.

Want to go back again  from November till next October but everyone tells me the rules have all changed, and I should try for a MREV instead which is only 9 months. I really liked the Type O....going out every 90 was perfect, by then I was ready to go out for a few days anyway. Not ready for the long-term retirement deal and would prefer not to tie up 23K in a Thai bank if possible.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Deaw said:

Boy, do I agree with that! And every city seems to have a different set of rules on their site. Some clearly haven't been updated.

Yank here, same as the OP I never had a problem getting the Type O Non-Im Visa at the consulate in Boston, 4 or 5 times; as recently as early 2014 I got it and spent the year there, but have spent all of 2015 and most of 2016 in the states. Single guy, 54, no family there.

Want to go back again  from November till next October but everyone tells me the rules have all changed, and I should try for a MREV instead which is only 9 months. I really liked the Type O....going out every 90 was perfect, by then I was ready to go out for a few days anyway. Not ready for the long-term retirement deal and would prefer not to tie up 23K in a Thai bank if possible.

Thanks

Unless they change things again you will not be able to get another multiple non-o visa from the honorary consulate in Boston for from any other honorary consulate since the embassy in DC has recently mandated they cannot issue any multiple entry visa including the METV.

Your best choice may be to a OA visa from the consulate in New York or the embassy. You can leave your money in a US bank if you apply for it. It allows unlimited 1 year entries for a year from the date of issue. You can get a total stay of almost 2 years from it by doing an entry just before it expires and then a multiple re-entry permit to keep that last one year entry valid. Requirements are here on embassy website: http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

5 hours ago, Deaw said:

Wow, thanks a lot Ubon!

A friend actually told me to send you a PM when I sent him a letter about all this, what a coincidence you replied!

cheers

Because he is TV's most precious asset (I hope the new TV owners are aware of that)

• Like 1