British driver in collision on the Dark Side, Pattaya. Biker killed

webfact

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mattpatt said:

Whoever is at fault, it doesn't look like the bike rider had a helmet on. That's what probably killed him.

In such case I doubt it would have saved him:

His black Yamaha Nuvo was lying in the road and was almost broken in half, such was the severity of the impact.

Oh yee of little faith.

7 hours ago, petermik said:

Sad loss of life but an everyday event over here unfortunately :wai2:

surely lighting and road conditions should be  improved although that by itself will not prevent but surely will minimise accidents. if the motorbike hit the side of the truck there are greater chances that the motor bike rider was at fault.

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

For whatever reason a young man died and his family must be devastated ... but the important thing is will it mean some farang is out a few baht.

Amazing TV.

Well, the farang having to pay does seem an issue if the farang was not at fault--he did say the scooter slammed into the side of his vehicle. I certainly have seen Thais simply jut out into the roadway from any side soi or driveway without looking and at great speed.

1 hour ago, mattpatt said:

In such case I doubt it would have saved him:

Oh yee of little faith.

an impact like that would have definitely impacted his other body parts and very likely the spine. helmet by itself may not be sufficient in cases of severe impact.

2 hours ago, SirDougless said:

Because if he hadn't come to Thailand the accident wouldn't have happened. Thai logic. 

What a load of rubbish. 

If it was not the drivers fault and he did no wrong then he does not have to pay anything to anyone. And as for the logic that if he wasn't here it wouldn't have happened, stop listening to bar room mythology 

32 minutes ago, sahibji said:

an impact like that would have definitely impacted his other body parts and very likely the spine. helmet by itself may not be sufficient in cases of severe impact.

Very likely, but there appears to be a large flow of blood coming from the head area, in which case a helmet may (or may not) have saved him. I have seen (as I'm quite sure you have) many a fatal accident here in Thailand caused by lack of head protection. Many of those accidents would have been just cuts and grazes, or perhaps a broken bone or two IF the "accidentee" had been wearing a helmet.

3 hours ago, nongsangcity said:

very funny rules regarding insurance....A bike hits a car...the car takes the blame almost every time....the car will probably have insurance the bike less likely...so the car insurance has more chance of paying out any claim..strange but true...........A English friend of mine let his thai brother in law drive his car...the thai brother in law hit a motor bike which was at fault...the bike pulled out in front of the car...no lights on the bike...the bike driver was drunk......the bike driver died......the family of the dead bike rider wanted 1million baht of my friend as it was his car...True It was his car...but he wasnt driving the car and he wasnt even in the car....he refused to pay anything over and above what the insurance was willing to pay out....and the police held on to my friends car for 4 months hoping this would force him to pay out..which he never did...

I cant say that this is true every time anyway. I hit a motorbike being driven by an old lady, she pulled straight out in front of me without looking, result was i had 80,000 Bahts worth of damage to the car, she was OK, she started shouting from the floor, ''i'm an old woman and i don't have any money''. The cops came and we were taken to the station, the old lady shouting about it being my fault. The cops asked for her driving licence, she didn't have one, end of story as far as the cops were concerned,they told her it was her fault and she had to pay up for the damage. She hadn't the money but had a daughter in Sweden so the cops rang up the daughter and asked if she would pay for her mother, No. They made her sign a document that she would pay me 1000 Baht a month, never happened. The cops said they would arrest her but at this point i said leave it be i wont get anything from her going to prison, forget it. I didn't have first class insurance so i had to pay everything myself but at least the cops were on my side.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The report is so sparse that I didn't want to speculate on the question of whose fault it was.

If the pickup has a class 1 insurance they will pay (if not drunk driving).

Ill find out in a couple of weeks as i often see george when im out n about

1 hour ago, Ridler said:

What a load of rubbish. 

If it was not the drivers fault and he did no wrong then he does not have to pay anything to anyone. And as for the logic that if he wasn't here it wouldn't have happened, stop listening to bar room mythology 

That's Thai logic, how long do you stay in Thailand?

Not so long I supposed.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I cant say that this is true every time anyway. I hit a motorbike being driven by an old lady, she pulled straight out in front of me without looking, result was i had 80,000 Bahts worth of damage to the car, she was OK, she started shouting from the floor, ''i'm an old woman and i don't have any money''. The cops came and we were taken to the station, the old lady shouting about it being my fault. The cops asked for her driving licence, she didn't have one, end of story as far as the cops were concerned,they told her it was her fault and she had to pay up for the damage. She hadn't the money but had a daughter in Sweden so the cops rang up the daughter and asked if she would pay for her mother, No. They made her sign a document that she would pay me 1000 Baht a month, never happened. The cops said they would arrest her but at this point i said leave it be i wont get anything from her going to prison, forget it. I didn't have first class insurance so i had to pay everything myself but at least the cops were on my side.

I recognise this, I also waiting for 6000 thb as damage at my car, and the driver has no license, no insurance and promised to pay back every month 1000thb, after one month het shut off his phone of-course.

I'm sorry to say but after many years I don't trust the Thai anymore, but what can you do?? Nothing!! accept, or leave.

If the bike has severe damage, it tells you he was going excessive speed. If he has going 20 km, he would have a few scratches. Not a lot to go on, but no ID means driver's license...anything about a helmet. Unless the old man ran a red light/stop sign, it doesn't sound like he's at fault. Still will cost him b/c lack of accountability determines these types of cases...mercy cases

1 hour ago, Ridler said:

What a load of rubbish. 

No rubbish...It would not be the first time this was said in court.

Many of these posts are so disrespectful, don't jump in to conclusions just for the sake to say something , people talkin about who was the cause of the accident with a fatal outcome without having a clue and who are going to pay for it, stop that and behave like caring adults, but that is maybe to ask for to much. The boy was 15 years old and he was a schoolmate with my son 10th grade and the situation in school were very sad today with the Thai flag on half mast , please respekt the family in grief and all his mates in school and let's hope it will be better on the Thai roads in the future...

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

" My 70 year old American friend gave up driving because he said his eyesight and reflexes were not what they used to be  "

Yes, I did  likewise. I have an excellent Thai driver now. 

Of course for many farang refusing to admit loss of driving skills and saving face is more important than the potential death and destruction they might cause. 

I would say the Thais dont need any help at all to slaughter each other or anybody else who gets in their way on the roads on a daily basis

40 minutes ago, spetersen said:

Many of these posts are so disrespectful, don't jump in to conclusions just for the sake to say something , people talkin about who was the cause of the accident with a fatal outcome without having a clue and who are going to pay for it, stop that and behave like caring adults, but that is maybe to ask for to much. The boy was 15 years old and he was a schoolmate with my son 10th grade and the situation in school were very sad today with the Thai flag on half mast , please respekt the family in grief and all his mates in school and let's hope it will be better on the Thai roads in the future...

That's a shame,  always sad when children die on the roads.

the news  stats  age as 20-25 year old  man.  not a young boy.

But the blame usual falls at the parents feet when children die on the roads.

( lack of supervision )  but who knows what happened  , if there was no witness.

RIP,   young man

47 minutes ago, spetersen said:

All very sad I agree

You cant legislate for stupid people

You reap what you sow

Is something that should be understood by all

If you are in any doubt just look at the accident and death figures in Thailand

8 hours ago, nongsangcity said:

very funny rules regarding insurance....A bike hits a car...the car takes the blame almost every time....the car will probably have insurance the bike less likely...so the car insurance has more chance of paying out any claim..strange but true...........A English friend of mine let his thai brother in law drive his car...the thai brother in law hit a motor bike which was at fault...the bike pulled out in front of the car...no lights on the bike...the bike driver was drunk......the bike driver died......the family of the dead bike rider wanted 1million baht of my friend as it was his car...True It was his car...but he wasnt driving the car and he wasnt even in the car....he refused to pay anything over and above what the insurance was willing to pay out....and the police held on to my friends car for 4 months hoping this would force him to pay out..which he never did...

Working as a claims Rep with Vehicle Insurance Co. in the Real world we had to establish FAULT if the insured was not at FAULT there was no case for claim. If the insured was at FAULT the Insurance Co. was responsible to the max of the policy (same in Thailand). If the injured party in the Real world demands more that will be settled in the Court of Law. Not as the cases seem to be in Thailand by some inexperience in vehicle accidents cop. 

It is very difficult to work out in Thailand under what type vehicle insurance they work.

The closest I can come is that it is the rule of  NO FAULT insurance. This means the Thailand located vehicle insurance Companies do not establish FAULT, they just pay to whatever the policy states and walk away from the case.  Even in that case if you are a foreigner (Farang) Thai insurance companies still them. Most recent case,  rear ender, so insured not at fault. Female causing rear ender insurance company Rep admitted she was at fault but would not handle the claim. Insured's  insurance company (BI)  handled the claim and when it came to settling the bill charged insured with 60% Deductible on a Class 1 Policy (on brand new 3-days old car). Obviously insured is no longer after many year insured with (BI).

As a  foreigner (Farang) driving a car in Thailand they got you coming and going. And Thais get upset when you call Thailand not a developed nation. LOL in LOS.

7 hours ago, Docno said:

Only just over a week ago there was another instance of an older farang driver being involved in an accident in which a Thai (being on a motorbike) lost his life. Also in the Pattaya area: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/940572-80-year-old-british-driver-crashes-into-lighthouse-chef/

My 70 year old American friend gave up driving because he said his eyesight and reflexes were not what they used to be and he'd had too many close calls (plus backing up into a bus that he'd somehow failed to notice). I know everyone is different, but age takes its toll on all of us, so perhaps this plays a factor. I wonder if in Thailand there's some sort of compulsory regular testing of driving skills once you get past a certain age (I doubt it); they had this in Canada and my father dreaded it, but could see the reason for it also.

p.s. I'm not saying that the Brit drivers were responsible in either of these two cases, but it is a possibility, and age-as-a-factor is also a possibility

Compulsory driving test for the aged, are you joking ? Half the people on the road don't even have a license let alone insurance, there is no law on Thai roads it's a do as you please situation, not Thai bashing stating fact.

why oh why do the authorities nor clamp down on  old drivers? Elderly drivers kill more people than drug dealers but still they drive around with impunity... I have noticed Old men from Australia in particular flout the law. Let's all sign a petition now to keep old ozzie drunks off the road.

8 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

" My 70 year old American friend gave up driving because he said his eyesight and reflexes were not what they used to be  "

Yes, I did  likewise. I have an excellent Thai driver now. 

Of course for many farang refusing to admit loss of driving skills and saving face is more important than the potential death and destruction they might cause. 

It's not the loss of driving skills, in Thailand one needs to have the reflexes of a F1 pilot to get through traffic without accidents