How much is a big bag of rice?

cheapskatesam

Tap water is drinkable, but even cheaper is to go around the food stalls. They usually have a large ice box, and you will find an outlet near the bottom that the melted ice drains out of. In the morning, put a plastic water bottle under the outlet then go and collect it in the afternoon.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, naboo said:

Tap water is drinkable, but even cheaper is to go around the food stalls. They usually have a large ice box, and you will find an outlet near the bottom that the melted ice drains out of. In the morning, put a plastic water bottle under the outlet then go and collect it in the afternoon.

I'm not that bad.. But i do like the hole in the wall style "restaurants"   with the free water.

I love it when i ask for some "nam" and they try and mug me off with a paid bottle of water from the fridge. I say mai ow walk to the free water dispenser. When i've finished my meal i always get 2 or 3 mugs of water down my neck before leaving. 

21 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

Any more thifty tips for a cheapskate farang such as myself? I'm 70% sure i'll be going to khon kaen.. is there anywhere cheaper than there that might sway my mind?

Whats the cheapest way to get safe water to drink? 

I've not tried Khon Kaen. Just a bit too light on urban greenery for me. However, apparently the large student population expect to be able to get a flat with a separate bedroom for less than you'd pay for a studio elsewhere, and that might be very useful if you're going to be spending a lot of time in your flat. I'm a kind of "Minimax" person: I want to minimise my maximum losses under conditions of uncertainty. In other words, if I'm not sure that something will be better, and what I've got is okay, I'll stick with what I've got. That particular bit of Udon north across the road from the Top Man bar are on Watthananuwong is very livable. Lots of 4-500 to 5,000 apartments (and maybe you could haggle it down a bit), lots of markets, UD town with Tesco Lotus, the shopping centre with food courts and two nice parks within a reasonable distance. Once you're off the main roads lots of Udon isn't too bad for cycling and bimbling about. I'm probably easily pleased, but watching youtube guides to other places always leaves me feeling that they very obviously offer less. 

If you took the absolute cheapskate option to Isaan - arse killing third class rail - then it's like 40 baht or something to go on to Udon from Khon Kaen, so if you haven't been it might be worth a look. Udon's slogan should be, "Thailand with training wheels". :)

Thai said, I might try Khon Kaen myself next time. 

2 hours ago, Craig krup said:

I've not tried Khon Kaen. Just a bit too light on urban greenery for me. However, apparently the large student population expect to be able to get a flat with a separate bedroom for less than you'd pay for a studio elsewhere, and that might be very useful if you're going to be spending a lot of time in your flat. I'm a kind of "Minimax" person: I want to minimise my maximum losses under conditions of uncertainty. In other words, if I'm not sure that something will be better, and what I've got is okay, I'll stick with what I've got. That particular bit of Udon north across the road from the Top Man bar are on Watthananuwong is very livable. Lots of 4-500 to 5,000 apartments (and maybe you could haggle it down a bit), lots of markets, UD town with Tesco Lotus, the shopping centre with food courts and two nice parks within a reasonable distance. Once you're off the main roads lots of Udon isn't too bad for cycling and bimbling about. I'm probably easily pleased, but watching youtube guides to other places always leaves me feeling that they very obviously offer less. 

If you took the absolute cheapskate option to Isaan - arse killing third class rail - then it's like 40 baht or something to go on to Udon from Khon Kaen, so if you haven't been it might be worth a look. Udon's slogan should be, "Thailand with training wheels". :)

Thai said, I might try Khon Kaen myself next time. 

Did i read that right.. it's possible to get an apartment in Udon for  500  baht?

Jesus Christ.. i'm going!

I would say that on a real tight budget. Lao Khao could even be a better bet than Cheers beer. Or maybe mix the two together.

Seriously though. A bag of rice lasts along time and chicken breast at near 60 baht a kilo is great. Learn to cook meat and veggies with your rice cooker. And your set.

I am genuinely amazed at the number of posters able to offer obviously first hand experience advice on how to live on the bread line..... My advice is befriend an ugly girl with a job,  shag her and have her look after you in the manner you've become accustomed to - beer and som tam.

On 9/10/2016 at 6:25 PM, cheapskatesam said:

Did i read that right.. it's possible to get an apartment in Udon for  500  baht?

Jesus Christ.. i'm going!

No. Four thousand five hundred to five thousand, just north of the bar area, and quite nice apartments. Students in Khon Kaen reckon on a one bedroom flat, not a studio, for significantly less than that, but they're first language negotiating skills and perceived poverty are always going to give them the edge. 

You can get a place within ten minutes of UD Town in Udon for 3,700 with AC. I found a 2,500 fan room in the same area, and if you want to move out a bit it's less than 2,000 but do you really want to put yourself through that? 

As to pictures of studios, be aware that the photo will have been taken right after they'd first got it right and before anyone moved in. It'll have had plenty of wear and tear since then. 

Meeting all your essential needs for next to no money sounds great, but what the hell do you do all day? I know someone who ended up in a bar in Bangkok watching premiership football, but had to leave because people were yelling loads of racist abuse. He went outside and still he could hear people shouting in the street, which he thought was unusual in Thailand. Then he had a moment of clarity and realised that he was, in fact, in Glasgow, and the voices were in his head. He'd managed to get back from Thailand with the first stages of wet brain syndrome. As he walked across Queen's park in Glasgow to get the B1 and valium from the doctor, to prevent the seizures, he had time to contemplate how odd it was to hear real voices and yet know that your head was creating them, and it wasn't out there in the world. 

"Your Fitness" in Udon charges a pricey 999 baht a month, with 500 first month joining fee. It is, however, a really excellent gym with good opening hours. Going there twice a day, first weights and later aerobics, would give my day shape and structure, and it would knacker me out and stop me doing anything stupid. Around that fits meals, Kindle book reading and bimbling in the park. But what can you really do to absorb 16 hours of consciousness without wrecking yourself if you don't have something like that? 

Edited by Craig krup
Typo

27 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

No. Four thousand five hundred to five thousand, just north of the bar area, and quite nice apartments. Students in Khon Kaen reckon on a one bedroom flat, not a studio, for significantly less than that, but they're first language negotiating skills and perceived poverty are always going to give them the edge. 

You can get a place within ten minutes of UD Town in Udon for 3,700 with AC. I found a 2,500 fan room in the same area, and if you want to move out a bit it's less than 2,000 but do you really want to put yourself through that? 

As to pictures of studios, be aware that the photo will have been taken right after they'd first got it right and before anyone moved in. It'll have had plenty of wear and tear since then. 

Meeting all your essential needs for next to no money sounds great, but what the hell do you do all day? I know someone who ended up in a bar in Bangkok watching premiership football, but had to leave because people were yelling loads of racist abuse. He went outside and still he could hear people shouting in the street, which he thought was unusual in Thailand. Then he had a moment of clarity and realised that he was, in fact, in Glasgow, and the voices were in his head. He'd managed to get back from Thailand with the first stages of wet brain syndrome. As he walked across Queen's park in Glasgow to get the B1 and valium from the doctor, to prevent the seizures, he had time to contemplate how odd it was to hear real voices and yet know that your head was creating them, and it wasn't out there in the world. 

"Your Fitness" in Udon charges a pricey 999 baht a month, with 500 first month joining fee. It is, however, a really excellent gym with good opening hours. Going there twice a day, first weights and later aerobics, would give my day shape and structure, and it would knacker me out and stop me doing anything stupid. Around that fits meals, Kindle book reading and bimbling in the park. But what can you really do to absorb 16 hours of consciousness without wrecking yourself if you don't have something like that? 

Just curious what is your average daily food cost living in Udon? And your leccy bill :D

1 hour ago, cheapskatesam said:

Just curious what is your average daily food cost living in Udon? And your leccy bill :D

I'm only there for the summer holidays - I teach in a college. I should have bought a rice cooker and gave it away when I went home, but I bought from the market which pushed my costs up marginally. I eat like a dog - pure routine. Brekkie - eight slice of terrible Tesco lotus "wholewheat" bread, four bananas and load of Khao Tong hulled peanuts. Lunch - spring onions, tomatoes, sardines, more terrible bread. Dinner - load of rice or noodles and a bag of curry. In six weeks, with accommodation, gym membership, travel back to Bangkok and bills I only spent £324. It would have been well under £300 if I'd screwed the nut and bought the rice cooker. Flat was 5,500 a month, and I only used about 200 baht of electricity. At night get naked and aim a big fan at yourself. It's the AC that's the killer. 

I should point out that I'm not actually short of a bob or two, but I like reading my books, going to the gym, moseying around the park and eating starchy frenzies while watching the cycling on Eurosport. If I wanted something else I'd do it. :D

21 hours ago, Bung said:

I am genuinely amazed at the number of posters able to offer obviously first hand experience advice on how to live on the bread line..... My advice is befriend an ugly girl with a job,  shag her and have her look after you in the manner you've become accustomed to - beer and som tam.

Welcome to the club.?

Don't forget to keep an eye on fb buy and sell pages here in Thailand.  Plenty of cheap skates selling on their megre possessions as they trudge back to their flats and jobs after tiring of sitting in their flats here staring at their computer screens wishing they could afford to turn on their airconditioners. 

Lots of bargains to be had,  those coveted rice cookers,  plastic containers and even their left over sandals! 

Do I see an aircon unit in the photo?

Are you made of money or something? Just the mere presence of an air-con will whack on around 800 to 900 Baht a month on to your rent. You're not going to turn it on, are you? You would be mad if you did. Those things can cost you 500 Baht a day on apartment electricity rates.

Take my advice, you don't need air con on your budget. You would have to change your name to Big Spender Sam or something along those lines.

4 hours ago, Craig krup said:

I'm only there for the summer holidays - I teach in a college. I should have bought a rice cooker and gave it away when I went home, but I bought from the market which pushed my costs up marginally. I eat like a dog - pure routine. Brekkie - eight slice of terrible Tesco lotus "wholewheat" bread, four bananas and load of Khao Tong hulled peanuts. Lunch - spring onions, tomatoes, sardines, more terrible bread. Dinner - load of rice or noodles and a bag of curry. In six weeks, with accommodation, gym membership, travel back to Bangkok and bills I only spent £324. It would have been well under £300 if I'd screwed the nut and bought the rice cooker. Flat was 5,500 a month, and I only used about 200 baht of electricity. At night get naked and aim a big fan at yourself. It's the AC that's the killer. 

I should point out that I'm not actually short of a bob or two, but I like reading my books, going to the gym, moseying around the park and eating starchy frenzies while watching the cycling on Eurosport. If I wanted something else I'd do it. :D

£324  in 6 weeks is truely remarkable.. You give me hope especially as i would not assume i could be as cheap as you..

I think the outlay for a rice cooker is going to hit me hard.. i think i'll just buy street food

4 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

I'm fascinated by what some people will try and sell on facebook here. 

'Plastic spoon - 20 baht'.

What gets me is that people come here and enjoy the low cost of living,  yet are too tight to just give a some of their worthless crap to some hardworking Thais who has probably helped feed them, cleaned up after them or just made their lives easy the whole time they're here.  

On 9/10/2016 at 0:11 AM, cheapskatesam said:

Any more thifty tips for a cheapskate farang such as myself? I'm 70% sure i'll be going to khon kaen.. is there anywhere cheaper than there that might sway my mind?

Whats the cheapest way to get safe water to drink? 

Trap pigeons on the balcony of your room.  Free protein that your going to need to supplement all that rice and bananas.  Pluck 'em and pop 'em into your rice cooker. Get some plastic sheeting and collect rain water.  Or just bash a hole in a gutters down pipe.  (when selecting a room get one next to a down pipe).  That will make an improvised shower as well. 

1 hour ago, cheapskatesam said:

£324  in 6 weeks is truely remarkable.. You give me hope especially as i would not assume i could be as cheap as you..

I think the outlay for a rice cooker is going to hit me hard.. i think i'll just buy street food

I don't actually find it that difficult. You should buy a rice cooker, though. Tesco frequently have an offer. Five baht of dry rice is 250g, and 825 calories. To buy the same amount of rice in 5 baht bags would mean (I'd guess) at least six. The payback point on the cooker is very, very short, and if you make sure the bowl is absolutely dry on the outside you can probably avoid shorting it and the lights. As others have pointed out, it also creates the "slip chicken breast in with rice and leave on stay warm for 20 minutes"  option. There are a lot of people who get quite creative on one pot rice cookers cuisine. Portions on street food are such that I need four bags of rice, a tube of tofu squirted in and a load of bananas and peanuts as afters. Having your own source of mega starch is a good idea. That said, a kettle, a big glass pyrex bowl and noodles would also do. Pre warm bowl, soak noodles with boiling water with towel over it to retain the heat, Bob's your noodly uncle. 

9 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

I don't actually find it that difficult. You should buy a rice cooker, though. Tesco frequently have an offer. Five baht of dry rice is 250g, and 825 calories. To buy the same amount of rice in 5 baht bags would mean (I'd guess) at least six. The payback point on the cooker is very, very short, and if you make sure the bowl is absolutely dry on the outside you can probably avoid shorting it and the lights. As others have pointed out, it also creates the "slip chicken breast in with rice and leave on stay warm for 20 minutes"  option. There are a lot of people who get quite creative on one pot rice cookers cuisine. Portions on street food are such that I need four bags of rice, a tube of tofu squirted in and a load of bananas and peanuts as afters. Having your own source of mega starch is a good idea. That said, a kettle, a big glass pyrex bowl and noodles would also do. Pre warm bowl, soak noodles with boiling water with towel over it to retain the heat, Bob's your noodly uncle. 

I've been reading up on these rice cookers.. apparently soaking the rice in water the night before massively reduces the cooking time needed, thus saving electricity.

Little nuggets of information like this can literally save you hundreds over the course of a lifetime. And all these "little victories" add up.

I'm not sure about the noodles, they're rather expensive for what they are.. i would need 2 packets from 7/11 to fill me up or even touch the sides.

Anyone stumbling onto this thread may think some world wide Armageddon has struck.  Reminds me a bit of that movie where Matt Damon was stuck on Mars. 

BTW,  I know a great trick how to get a new rice cooker absolutely free! 

12 hours ago, Craig krup said:

I've been reading up on these rice cookers.. apparently soaking the rice in water the night before massively reduces the cooking time needed, thus saving electricity.

Little nuggets of information like this can literally save you hundreds over the course of a lifetime. And all these "little victories" add up.

I'm not sure about the noodles, they're rather expensive for what they are.. i would need 2 packets from 7/11 to fill me up or even touch the sides.

2 hours ago, Bung said:

Anyone stumbling onto this thread may think some world wide Armageddon has struck.  Reminds me a bit of that movie where Matt Damon was stuck on Mars. 

BTW,  I know a great trick how to get a new rice cooker absolutely free! 

Please share