I don't like: Chang Phuak shooting range…POW! BLAMMO!!

bamboozled

Not exactly a rant but…is anyone familiar with the shooting range at the back of the stadium in Chang Phuak? I live fairly close to it, toward Tanin market direction, and the noise from shooting guns is very loud and quite disturbing. And there are hundreds or thousands of people that live closer than I do where the noise must be much much worse. I find myself cringing when these guns go off. Am I the only one? It's not just loud but guns are, well, guns. They don't produce a happy sound; the giggle of babies it ain't. What I can't understand is how this is permitted in the middle of a bustling residential area, abutting a very large Buddhist temple, a school, and a university. Not to mention all the private residences. I know, TIT and I imagine the place must be owned and run by the police or a policeman and this is how it is allowed to go on. I have driven in there to take a look and from what I saw there is nothing in the way of soundproofing directly around the shooter/shooting area and therefore the sound is free to roam. It would seem a no-brainer to me to enclose the shooter in some sort of sound deadening enclosure. Does anyone have any comments/info on this? It passes through my mind now and again to try and start some sort of neighborhood petition to have some sound baffles installed but of course I am just a farang and if my neighbors were bothered by it wouldn't they have already tried such a thing?

The short comment: So why did you choose to live there? The shooting range was there long before you arrived. Don't like it, move elsewhere. The long comment involves face, farang petitions, police involvement, Thai lifestyle, acceptance of firearms and  western nimby attitude.......

Agree that shooting ranges should have some form of sound barriers....but you hit the nail on the head when you say TiT.  Where I live in Mae Rim we have an Army camp behind us.  Its not just the shooting ranges that we hear but also very loud explosions when they undergo training and field exercises.

The automatic gunfire can be loud but the battlefield simulations rattle the house at times.....luckily it mainly occurs during daylight hours.

I cant complain as I knew the Army Camp was close by and now its become background noise (On occassion its a bit more than that tho).  At least I dont have artillery ears (Another words being deaf as a post).

I doubt raising a petition will do anything for your cause...as the saying goes:  You aint in Kansas now Dorothy.

Just because the range was here before I was does not make it "right" nor mean that I have to like it. I didn't realize it was there when I moved in (I remember the first time I heard the shots I thought it was construction going on, such as a pile driver or something) but it would not have changed my decision. Some sound baffles seem like such an easy thing to erect, at low cost, which would benefit a lot of people (I would think). However, Thai folks might be somehow oblivious to the sound. Like they are to televisions blaring in the evening, dogs barking at in the middle of the night, and roosters crowing at dawn.

Funny, there is some event going on at the stadium today with loud voices coming over the outdoor speakers. In the midst of it are the gun shots ringing out. I would think someone would have the idea to separate these two things in some fashion i.e. sound barriers on the firing range. 

…nope.

Meditating at the temple must be trying.

Kiwi…that sounds horrible. 

When traveling i always carry a set of big-muff hearing protectors.  Useful on the airplane. And in the hotel room when the bar/dogs/neighbors/trucks/motorbikes just get too loud at night i simply pop them on my ears and i'm off to  dreamland.

You might consider the same whenever the shooting starts.

I have the heard the noise from that shooting range whilst inside the sport stadium grounds. I would say from a distance of 100m - 200m away at closest. With the buildings, trees, open spaces and other noises going on it never seemed excessively loud? Most of the time nobody is shooting. I would assume if i lived in the direction of Tanin market the noise would be hard to pick out? Thats just my opinion but it just goes to shows people have different perceptions of the same noise.

I've used the range at 700 year stadium.

It's enclosed by fairly high concrete walls.

I think it's possible to be quite close to the range, but be in the sound shadow of the walls.

However the sound waves could bounce off stuff or be bent by atmospheric conditions & arrive at your place at high volume.

I guess you're just in the wrong place.

You're clearly the sort of person who lives at the end of an airport runway and complains about the noise.

Don't like it, move somewhere else.

Reminds me of the thread about Mosques and the call to prayer. They were there before you. You made a poor decision and now bitching about it. MOVE

Archived