Predict my Electricity Bill

cheapskatesam

Thailand is a country designed to extract baht from foreigners at every opportunity. I feel like small daily victories will boost my morale.

I come from a country that is the complete polar opposite (UK). The British government GIVES money to foreigners at a moments notice, and furthermore will provide a translator free of charge to make the transaction as painless as possible 

It's a funny old world :D

Edited by cheapskatesam

1 hour ago, cheapskatesam said:

You all rip the piss out of me and my money saving thread but when people make threads about how many bloody meals they can squeeze out of a chicken they get a free ride..  - 

Do i need to be here for a while before i can request tips on saving money with impunity? 

I plan to play it by here and stay n Thailand for a few months 

I do actually have a lot of cash in my bank account i'm just trying to see how living "cheap" in Thailand will be for me and if its sustainable in the long term as a sorta experiment. I'm 29 years old.

I won't be living in squalid conditions from what i've seen 5000 will get me a perfectly nice room with a balcony.. I probably will be using the aircon.. i probably will be going to mcdonalds or pizza every few days because i cannot help myself 

It sure can be hard, but it's best to learn not to take the bait on this forum.

We have a five bedroom house with two aircons (normally one running at a time for maybe an average of 12-18 hours a day) and two fridges (one large one small). Our 'normal' bill is 1500 per month. Although by 'normal' I mean after we had the meter replaced as the bill 'crept up' from 1200 to 1500 to 2500 to 4700 while using the same amount of power.

14 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Do they still manufacture 25 watt light bulbs?  If so, make sure none of your lamps have anything over that wattage as then you can save even more money! :)

You can get 8 watt bulbs in Thailand and 5 watt fluorescent type but there more expensive in the off set. :cheesy:

1 minute ago, Boon Mee said:

The OP should go for the fluorescent bulbs as they don't suck as much current! :)

Yeah and thinking about it from his economic view point some have a 5 year guarantee and he can remove them when he leaves. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah and thinking about it from his economic view point some have a 5 year guarantee and he can remove them when he leaves. 

Trust he''s not living the high life as a Sukhumvit Farang or he's already blown his budget! :lol:

2 minutes ago, prestburypark said:

No hate here just complete contempt for an asinine post, troll in fact.

I would not call it troll post unless it dis-stresses and upsets you so much about OP having higher budget than you. :lol:

2 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

You all rip the piss out of me and my money saving thread but when people make threads about how many bloody meals they can squeeze out of a chicken they get a free ride..  - 

No, i believe the majority of members think that guy is an idiot too.

Edited by HooHaa

26 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

just wait until margaret thatcher gets elected in thailand. then you will see how expensive a kilowatt hour or unit of electricity can become.

From the grave.... WOW. That would be a tremendous achievement.

Anyway, Thatcher started the sell off of the Utilities under the guise of competition would reduce prices. She did not set the cost per hour. She also did not take into account that they would become a price fixing monopoly.

If you rent a room below some "rich" farang you can save on showers by standing under his aircon runoff, its usually warmest between 10-11.30am. You can also save on electric by saving up the 46 baht tuna tins from the 7/11 (they will sustain you for a day) and by polishing the bottoms and tying them to a lamp post with discarded elastic bands you can reflect light from the street lamp into your room. That should save you another 30 baht a month on electric.

9 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

Do i need to be here for a while before i can request tips on saving money with impunity? 

I plan to play it by here and stay n Thailand for a few months 

I do actually have a lot of cash in my bank account i'm just trying to see how living "cheap" in Thailand will be for me and if its sustainable in the long term as a sorta experiment. I'm 29 years old.

I won't be living in squalid conditions from what i've seen 5000 will get me a perfectly nice room with a balcony.. I probably will be using the aircon.. i probably will be going to mcdonalds or pizza every few days because i cannot help myself 

You will spend more at McDonald's and eating pizza than you will on electricity.  Cut those meals in half and you will be able to afford to run the ac.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:59 AM, Peterw42 said:

There are 2 different elec rates, long term condo rental from an owner, 3.5 baht a unit of elec, monthly rental in appartments or long stay hotel 7-8 baht per unit. Its very important to check before renting as it can double your elec bill. 

If you look around, you can find all inclusive rooms on monthly rental. The last 3 month I have been renting a brand new room, For 8,000 a month including elec, water and internet. Airconn on all day, luxurious long showers and massive internet usage. I have a mate that lives close by in a 5,000 baht room, his elec is 8 baht a unit set by the condo (3,000 a month), pays for water and 500 a month for internet. 

Not sure where in Thailand electric rates are 3.5 baht the rate /unit, rates raised some time ago now 5.5 b/unit in Chiang Mai maybe cheaper in other parts of Thailand. Know the facts before you post.

11 minutes ago, cmrichsw said:

Not sure where in Thailand electric rates are 3.5 baht the rate /unit, rates raised some time ago now 5.5 b/unit in Chiang Mai maybe cheaper in other parts of Thailand. Know the facts before you post.

Issan thats were electric is 3.5 baht.

Just checked our electric bill..... usage147 units cost before v.a.t.477.51 baht

Electricity rates, for the same type of service, are the same throughout Thailand.

The amount you pay depends on the number of 'units' that you use. The more you use, the more per unit that you pay.

Current MEA rates available   here

Most people are on the 1.2 rate, 1.1 rate is for people using  <150 KWh/month.

There is also a cost calculator on the same site.

Edit    The rates on the MEA site are subject to VAT and Ft charge. The Ft at the moment is -ve

Edited by ThaidDown
Additional Info

You will have no idea of how much you will spend per month until you experience it. I retired a little early before I received my pensions. When I worked here for about five years, my company paid ALL my expenses. Even a furnished car and fuel. I mention that because I really had no idea what a single guy would spend being retired. After I rented an apartment I kept a spreadsheet that I recorded every expense I had, even 10 baht charges for a baht bus. I lived exactly how I wanted to live. I found that I could afford to live well under my original estimated budget of $1,000 per month. My rented apartment electric bill was about double what the electric company charged the landlord. After my pensions started, I bought a very nice condo and my monthly expenses dropped even lower. Electric bills were about half of what I had been paying. The condo maintenance is 600 baht per month for a 60 square meter condo.

Running the small air conditioner in the bedroom, hot water  heater , cooking and a washing machine, my bill was seldom over a thousand baht per month. The air con was usually only used during the hottest summer days.