Koh Samui motorbike ride ends in tragedy for HK couple

webfact

Thai motorbike ride ends in tragedy for HK couple

Yupina Ng

SAMUI: -- A young Hong Kong man was killed and his girlfriend seriously injured when their rented motorcycle crashed into a lorry on the Thai holiday island of Koh Samui. The couple were not wearing helmets, reports said.

They were named last night as Chan Ho-hin, 22, and April Wong, 21.

The driver of the lorry reported the accident to police.

Full story: http://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news.php?id=173888

-- The Standard 2016-09-12

Very sad.  Why would you ever get on a scooter without a helmet?  From the article:

Of the 83 deaths, 34 were from road accidents, nine from swimming and boating accidents, six from congenital diseases, four from suicides and 30 from other causes.

I'd bet the road accident stats are way low, due to the way they count them.

38 minutes ago, trogers said:

Bet they didn't even have an international driving license for operating a motorcycle... 

If you read the HK Standard report it stated that motorcycles can be hired if the hirer can show a licence issued by any country 

The number of non Thai Asians wobbling all over the roads riding Chicken-chasers for what looks like the first time on Samui in the last 3 months is extremely worrying. I catch them on dashcam pretty much every day but would need a bigger hard drive if I were to save all the clips!

A report by the Bureau of Prevention and Assistance in Tourist Fraud revealed that 83 foreign tourists died in Thailand last year, up 54 percent from the previous year.

The figures were compiled from reports from the ministry's 10 offices nationwide.

Of the 83 deaths, 34 were from road accidents, nine from swimming and boating accidents, six from congenital diseases, four from suicides and 30 from other causes.

34 foreigners dead in traffic accidents in Thailand in a year..?

24 minutes ago, tomwct said:

Happens everyday throughout Thailand! Just hope they had travel insurance!

insurance should be made compulsory at the point of sale i.e  when the vehicle is rented. it will save  the owner of the vehicle a lot of headache in case of a mishap.

I was sitting eating in seafront restaurant in nathon my friend owns and watched in amazement 3 Asians on 2 bikes pull up.

The first one on a PCX almost smashed into my car while trying to stop (doing about 10km/hr) and his mate with woman on the back wasn't much better. They stopped and spoke for 2 minutes to each other and decided to head off. Guy on his own starts his bike and it lurches towards my car again , desperate grab for brakes were only think that stopped him while revving the nuts off the bike in panic. He then manages to turn the bike around facing same way as traffic and then without looking at the traffic wheelies off down the road out of control at twice the speed or everyone else. His mate didn't look either , wobbled off before booting it to catch up with his mate ! 

If either didn't have an accident by the end off the day I would be surprised !! They are everywhere on samui !!

10 hours ago, DipStick said:

If you read the HK Standard report it stated that motorcycles can be hired if the hirer can show a licence issued by any country 

You don't need to have adriver's license to hire a motorbike in Thailand. You just need to have one to ride it (legally)

4 hours ago, DipStick said:

Ok chappies shall we put our napkins away u til next month, stop this nonsense and remember one guy is dead . It really would be nice to see manners shown 

AFAICT the thread is informative, factually correct and might just serve as a warning to others. It is not entirely clear what you are referring to as 'Manners' but if it relates to a particular post the quickest remedy is via the report button.

On 12 September 2016 at 5:08 PM, tomwct said:

Happens everyday throughout Thailand! Just hope they had travel insurance!

Insurance will not  pay a cent because they were not wearing helmets. 100% no chance of them paying out.   Read the small print on your policies .   Sad but fact

Archived