How many meals out of a chicken?

Scotwight

I buy roasted chicken at Lotus - it's about 130 baht for a 3 lb chicken.  1st meal - cut chicken in half and re heat breast serve with mashed potatoes and gravy.  2nd meal - bone and mix wings and leg meat  with massamun curry mix and serve on rice.  3rd meal bone remaining breast and make white sauce and serve creamed chicken on toast points.  

Rotisserie-chicken.jpg

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

1st meal  1 leg with rice.

2nd meal 1  leg with rice

3rd meal 2 wings with rice.

4th meal 1 breast with rice.

5th meal 1 breast with rice.

6th meal skin with rice.

7th meal carcass with rice.

You left the best part out of it. The feet.

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

One meal  -  for 2 people.

Wouldn't ar5e about scraping more out of it.  The dogs get the bones and skin.

I much prefer Makro Food Services 2kg chickens and roast them myself

It was probably silly of me to think one would get some creative cooking ideas from the fellows at Thai Visa eh?

1 minute ago, Scotwight said:

It was probably silly of me to think one would get some creative cooking ideas from the fellows at Thai Visa eh?

Ohh you wanted creative cooking idea's.

Do you not think that maybe you should have mentioned that in your OP?

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Since I listed three different ways to dine on a chicken 1. Roast. 2. Massamun. 3. Creamed Chicken I thought it was obvious.  

1 minute ago, Scotwight said:

Since I listed three different ways to dine on a chicken 1. Roast. 2. Massamun. 3. Creamed Chicken I thought it was obvious.  

if you want a question answered you should ask one, we don't got crystal balls you know.

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I thought it was another cheap Charlie thread and the OP was seeking ideas for extracting the maximum value out of his bird.

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I thought it was another cheap Charlie thread and the OP was seeking ideas for extracting the maximum value out of his bird.

Hardly.  Chicken is good for you because it's not mixed with fat like sausage or burger or lunch meats it also costs more that hot dogs.  I give the skin to my dogs.  

1 minute ago, SgtRock said:

Pretty difficult to give you creative cooking ideas for a pre-cooked chicken.

Indeed.

First bit of culinary advice is - don't buy pre-cooked, dried up supermarket chickens. Buy 'fresh' and cook to your taste.

2 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I gave you three.  Roast, Massemun and Creamed chicken on toast.  

Sorry, we have a very different interpretation of creative cooking.

Reheating pre cooked chicken is some pre mixed sauce is not my idea of creative cooking.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Indeed.

First bit of culinary advice is - don't buy pre-cooked, dried up supermarket chickens. Buy 'fresh' and cook to your taste.

I buy the chicken still hot from the rotisserie and warming it at home in the oven does nothing to harm the flavor.  Stewing or sautéing or such methods are meant to be used with left over chicken.  Many chicken dishes in a restaurant are made with boiled chicken - making the point that the seasoning is the important part of the preparation.  I guess one can buy dried up chicken but I don't.  

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

So it is a numerical challenge rather than a culinary one ? :D

What?  Trying to start a fight?  One chicken, one trip to the store.  How many ways to get a good meal out of that chicken?  I know a lot of folks who eat one meal and give the rest to the animals.  I get three meals and give the rest to the animals.  Normally I use the same 3 or 4 chicken recipes and wondered if anyone had any ideas that I would like and hadn't tried.

Depends if your Farang or Chinese.

A business associate in HK took us  

out for a meal ,Peking Duck, he did not

want to eat the breast or legs,but said

he prefered,the  neck,head,and parsons

nose,different cultures.

regards worgeordie

4 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Sorry, we have a very different interpretation of creative cooking.

Reheating pre cooked chicken is some pre mixed sauce is not my idea of creative cooking.

What is your idea of creative cooking?  I make a classic French white sauce and stir in steamed breast of chicken and top with a pinch of herbs and serve on home made bread toast points.  

4 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I buy the chicken still hot from the rotisserie and warming it at home in the oven does nothing to harm the flavor.  Stewing or sautéing or such methods are meant to be used with left over chicken.  Many chicken dishes in a restaurant are made with boiled chicken - making the point that the seasoning is the important part of the preparation.  I guess one can buy dried up chicken but I don't.  

Buying pre-cooked gives you no control over the cooking time or flavours (Big C chickens are particularly horrible).

Yes, you can add flavour later, but the point remains that nobody would buy a pre-cooked chicken for reasons of culinary excellence. I am not knocking it, I often buy a Makro pre-cooked chicken to make a sandwich or a salad.

2 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

What is your idea of creative cooking?  I make a classic French white sauce and stir in steamed breast of chicken and top with a pinch of herbs and serve on home made bread toast points.  

Just a quick question

Where does your steamed breast of chicken come from ? The pre - cooked, roasted chicken from Big C ?

Not really steamed is it ?

Each to their own. If I was going to the trouble of making a classic French white sauce, I would not be adding pre-cooked chicken. 

But to answer your question. Creative cooking to me is having a range of fresh products, herbs and spices and actually cooking. Not reheating pre-cooked roast chicken.

'shock and awe' scrimping:

Leave what's left - out on the bench overnight...

and voila!!  twice as much protein is swarming over the carcass, than what you started with.

In reality - me missus is a one-time-use-only for any meats.

The birds over the back fence get lucky every night