British expat killed in crash

webfact

26 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

So not only are you advocating people to go against the law and put their lives in dangers, you are also a pathological liar.

The quality of expats this place attracts...

Read it again.

You have made an assumption his best friend died of a moto accident in Thailand but he never said that.

Does a reader have to have good comprehension to be considered a quality ex-pat ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/12/2016 at 5:07 PM, toofarnorth said:

Sorry but no hat no sympathy , I don't care who is responsible for the RTA.

Wow that must be the most uncompassionate thing I've ever read here.  

I doubt his family give a **** about hat you think anyway.

I never wear a helmet when on my motorbike as I like the freedom. I only use it on Sunday though.

Edited by Johnniey

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you wouldn't mind I'd like to rephrase your final statement... 

"If EVERYONE followed the Rules of the Road, IF all Vehicles were perfectly maintained, IF people didn't drive while tired, IF animals didn't dart across the Road, IF weather conditions were always perfect - you MAY not require a helmet"

We live in a far from Perfect society, and while it may be difficult for many to swallow reality... we (all of us) are not the Perfect Road Users we think we are... No one is, everyone has momentary distractions from time to time... Even the most perfect of Drivers & Riders are fallible, this is simply human nature. 

Someone who believes they are infallible is taking their first step towards having an accident... 

Its important that each of us know our limitations. 

I know mine and you have certainly identified yours. 

If we lived in a perfect society then I would ride alot faster :thumbsup:

but we don't so I modify my speed according to conditions.

Bottom line, if the other guy causes the accident then whether I am wearing a helmet or a pair of panties on my head is none of your business since its the other drivers fault.

You certainly have a very strong opinion. I will give you that.

EDIT: if you are the type who gets distracted then you don't belong on a bike. When you ride then you need to 100% tuned in. That is the secret of those that are good.

Edited by ClutchClark

10 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Read it again.

You have made an assumption his best friend died of a moto accident in Thailand but he never said that.

Does a reader have to have good comprehension to be considered a quality ex-pat ?

You have to be the thickest geriatric this forum has ever seen. Advocating people not to wear a helmet because you think you are a good rider is complete nonsense

stop on the road and put your indicator to the right, get hit from behind by a car coming at 20-40kph, fly a bit and fall on your head

100b helmet -> life saved

no helmet -> brains splatered

stop at a redlight, get hit from behind by a motorbike coming at 10kph, get your foot stuck under the bike and fall on your head super slowly

100b helmet -> twisted ankle

no helmet -> big chances you've got your head split open

new 45cm deep pothole just apeared on an unlit road, fall in it

100b helmet -> concusion

1000b helmet -> no problem

no helmet -> brains splattered.

but but but it wasn't my fault im an amazing motorcycle driver... nobody cares, the 100b helmet just saved you.

This is why im all for nany-states, they are bad for me but i know that everyone else needs them.

Edited by bearpolar

No change here then from the the " he should have been wearing a helmet brigade "

The very same people who move to Thailand because of the nanny state back home I presume.

Isn't this the appeal for many here the freedom to do as you like.

The guy was 44 ,old enough to decide for himself he paid the ultimate price for his decision although no one knows if a crash helmet would have saved his life.

6 hours ago, bearpolar said:

You have to be the thickest geriatric this forum has ever seen. Advocating people not to wear a helmet because you think you are a good rider is complete nonsense

stop on the road and put your indicator to the right, get hit from behind by a car coming at 20-40kph, fly a bit and fall on your head

100b helmet -> life saved

no helmet -> brains splatered

stop at a redlight, get hit from behind by a motorbike coming at 10kph, get your foot stuck under the bike and fall on your head super slowly

100b helmet -> twisted ankle

no helmet -> big chances you've got your head split open

new 45cm deep pothole just apeared on an unlit road, fall in it

100b helmet -> concusion

1000b helmet -> no problem

no helmet -> brains splattered.

but but but it wasn't my fault im an amazing motorcycle driver... nobody cares, the 100b helmet just saved you.

This is why im all for nany-states, they are bad for me but i know that everyone else needs them.

I have thoroughly read your post and I can see why you need a nanny state to feel safe. 

If I saw the world like you I would wear a helmet 100% of the time...even when I was not on a motorbike. 

Edited by ClutchClark

17 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Its important that each of us know our limitations. 

I know mine and you have certainly identified yours. 

If we lived in a perfect society then I would ride alot faster :thumbsup:

but we don't so I modify my speed according to conditions.

Bottom line, if the other guy causes the accident then whether I am wearing a helmet or a pair of panties on my head is none of your business since its the other drivers fault.

You certainly have a very strong opinion. I will give you that.

EDIT: if you are the type who gets distracted then you don't belong on a bike. When you ride then you need to 100% tuned in. That is the secret of those that are good.

Re-Quote below Since we are not permitted to highlight a specific section of test in BOLD to identify which part we are specifically replying to :- 

[Bottom line, if the other guy causes the accident then whether I am wearing a helmet or a pair of panties on my head is none of your business since its the other drivers fault]

Its definitely my business because the accident could be with me... 

.... If you hit the pot-hole in the road and fall infont of me, or swerve to avoid the dog running out and hit me... etc etc..  It would make a big difference to me if you were wearing a helmet or not because while accident is not my fault the outcome and level of injury to you is dramatically altered....  

You must surely see how 'your choices and your actions' have an effect on others.... 

You can't say you will never be involved in an accident which isn't your fault... you have no control over the conditions... of course, everyone will say, I drive / ride according to the conditions, but do you really 100% of the time...  because I don't see motorcycles riding at 15 kmh along Sukhumvit just incase a Soi dog runs out or if another motorist pulls out in front of them - that would be unrealistic - Hence, anyone riding a bike takes somewhat of a chance, all the time... 

It seems as though you want to blame others for having to wear a helmet - but someone would have to be a bit daft to know what could happen without a helmet and still prefer not to wear one. 

Bearpolar made some very realistic examples... OK, I don't agree with the 100 baht helmet.. I believe a proper certified helmet is necessary... however, the examples are valid... Pot-hole on a poorly lit road, Dog runs out etc... you have no control over these and in a split-second a simple decision to wear a helmet or not becomes life changing..... but not just for you, but for those around you also effected by a bit of carelessness and flawed decision making. 

Edited by richard_smith237

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Re-Quote below Since we are not permitted to highlight a specific section of test in BOLD to identify which part we are specifically replying to :- 

[Bottom line, if the other guy causes the accident then whether I am wearing a helmet or a pair of panties on my head is none of your business since its the other drivers fault]

Its definitely my business, because the accident could be with me... 

.... If you hits the pot-hole in the road and falls infont of me, or swerve to avoid the dog running out and hit me... etc etc..  It would make a big difference to me if you were wearing a helmet because while accident is not my fault the outcome and level of injury to you is dramatically altered by wearing a helmet....  

You must surely see how 'your choices, your actions' have an effect on others.... 

You can't say you will never be involved in an accident which isn't your fault... you have no control over the conditions... of course, everyone will say, I drive / ride accordingly, but do you really...  because I don't see motorcycles riding at 15 kmh along Sukhumvit just incase a Soi dog runs out or if another motorist pulls out in front of them. 

It seems as though you want to blame others for having to wear a helmet - but someone would have to be a bit daft to know what could happen without a helmet and still prefer not to wear one. 

Bearpolar made some very realistic examples... OK, I don't agree with the 100 baht helmet.. I believe a proper certified helmet is necessary... however, the examples are valid... Pot-hole on a poorly lit road, Dog runs out etc... you have no control over these and in a split-second a simple decision to wear a helmet or not becomes life changing..... but not just for you, but for those around you also effected by a bit of carelessness and flawed decision making. 

You certainly have very strong emotions about this.

I am back home in CO now. 

Its early morning and I am going to hop on the bike and go for a ride as the sun rises.

Today I am intentionally not going to wear a helmet in honor of you. While riding I will celebrate the meaning of freedom and the fact I was lucky enough to spend the vast majority of my years living life before busy bodies like you legislated it into a nanny state.

Its the way of the world now--one guy craps his pants so now everyone is required to wear diapers.:thumbsup:

Just now, ClutchClark said:

You certainly have very strong emotions about this.

I am back home in CO now. 

Its early morning and I am going to hop on the bike and go for a ride as the sun rises.

Today I am intentionally not going to wear a helmet in honor of you. While riding I will celebrate the meaning of freedom and the fact I was lucky enough to spend the vast majority of my years living life before busy bodies like you legislated it into a nanny state.

Its the way of the world now--one guy craps his pants so now everyone is required to wear diapers.:thumbsup:

I have strong emotions ?? I'm not the one who's willing to risk my safety for the sake of a point on an anonymous internet forum.... 

But, I understand why you prefer the freedom of choice if there is so little to protect...

I hope you enjoy your ride this morning... and  your freedoms....   Riding a bike without a helmet is a pure pleasure...  but unfortunately one one I would be choosing while in Thailand.