PM Prayut says Thailand will be corruption-free in 20 years

webfact

This guy can speak just about everything and anything with impunity and not subjected to questioning. He shield himself with draconian law and military intimidation. What he say and promise about corruption are taken with a grain of salt. I hope he take part in the next election and be grilled like every politicians.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as the French saying goes, 'if my aunt had a pair, we'd call her uncle' ...

I've talked with many Thais and for many years about the corruption problem. They all said the same thing : it's a big issue, it's a major flaw, it hurts the country, it is baaaaad and it should be eradicated.

What boggles my mind is this : if all the Thais I have met are against corruption, then who the fek is doing it ? How extraordinary that I met only people who were anti-corruption (and I've met Thais of all social origins), not a single one who said "yeah ... I know it's wrong but hey, that's how things work here, so ya know, gotta grease the joints and all, every now and then ..."

Corruption is a problem, yes. Then so is her twin sister Hypocrisy. And I humbly suggest that by getting rid of the second, many other problems would be solved ipso facto. That of course will happen when pigs can not only fly but also carry passengers on their backs for free.

18 hours ago, clockman said:

First of all explain how you became rich?

Spot on....   If this bloke was half way serious he would go after his brother that has already been exposed with linking direct military budget money which he was in control of to his account , and when questioned by the media, what did the lil general do???

He publicly told the media to stop digging up this stuff and it is of no benefit to the country.  

Many people would suggest he is a hypocrite on a massive scale and without any morals what so ever.....

And the few junta hugging fan club hate it when challenged here on TVF about his family's links to massive wealth, and instead of giving a legitimate response, they avoid and deflect or just run and hide from the truth and it shows them up to have the Thai trait of refusing to accept any fault or responsibility, in other words gutless.

Where are ya fella's, 

23 minutes ago, mike324 said:

don't see why people are complaining, corruption have went down quite a bit in the past 2 years already... although it will never be corrupt free...but it could be pretty free from visible corruption in people's daily lives...

Are you embedded in people's daily lives to make the comment. Not from my personal standpoint and my recent experiences in engaging the government offices for simple task of getting my product registered for importation. I can tell you, NOTHING has change and corruption is same as in elected governments. I don't even want to talk about the police and other enforcement agencies. Just a brief mention that it's business as usual. 

You know I care about this place and its people. And I believe that greatly bringing down corruption will help so much.

But the reality of things just don't make things look hopeful, because to wipe out corruption at the bottom, you have to start at the top. Can you do that here?

21 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

No interference in the justice system so that must mean the wealth of some junta members can be examined, NO sorry that was placed off limits in the earliest days of the coup.

I take it he intends to be around in 20 years to see his plan to fruition.

More ridiculous comments and application as usual will be selective.

Deception

Corruption, will end in 20 years. How can he predict when he's gonna Die !!!!! 

30 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Can't he invoke Art 44 to grant himself longevity as well as immunity ?

What is better, a debauched dictatorship or a perpetually corrupt democracy?

If there if there only one leader. All is well if such a leadet is good.

But can we find any good among the hoods?  

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Are you embedded in people's daily lives to make the comment. Not from my personal standpoint and my recent experiences in engaging the government offices for simple task of getting my product registered for importation. I can tell you, NOTHING has change and corruption is same as in elected governments. I don't even want to talk about the police and other enforcement agencies. Just a brief mention that it's business as usual. 

Eric, I've been living in Thailand for close to 30 years and a naturalize citizen. So yes I am embedded in people's daily lives more than you know as I run businesses locally (real estate and F&B) and a export business with over 200 workers. You probably have read my post countless times and we have debated quite a bit. If the recent news of massage parlor closures on ratchada isn't a big enough indication of changes made to law enforcement. I don't know what is then. Heck even foreign business owners are complaining soldiers are checking too strict, that was in the news just couple weeks ago. Care to explain what problems you have with getting your products registered for importation? But if you don't feel like it perhaps the police are still taking advantage of you because you are a foreigner hence you don't feel the change.

But as a naturalize citizen that can be passed off as a Thai, I can tell you it has cleaned up quite a bit in all different government agencies. My company deals with customs on almost weekly basis too, they have changed a lot. Sometimes it might not be the customs scamming you, don't forget it could also be your freight forwarder / agent as well.

You don't want to talk about the police, because they are too corrupt. Its good we have the soliders here that can finally do something about them, when in the past, they are pretty much untouchable. Again, not that I support the army being in charge, but its a good change to get the police to watch their backs for once.

That would need a total reform of the justice system, law enforcement, and a free investigative media with full freedom of speech. That all people can expect equal and fair, open and transparent, treatment under law regardless of who they are, what they have or who they are friends with.

20 years - when you gonna start?

6 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Actually, the reality is quite the opposite.

Good article in today's Economist entitled "Why does Thailand keep changing its constitution?"

I agree, the army is in for a power grab and remaining there with the new laws in the constitutions. That is something I don't deny. But what matters more is on a lower level, law enforcement from the very bottom and up. To get citizens and civil servants to simply enforce the law will make a bigger impact in the long run. I think the society has changed a bit in the past 2 years, many will argue otherwise because most don't deal with government officials on monthly basis to notice the change. Police are watching their backs, as soldiers crack down on them. Cases such as land encroachment, massage parlours, illegal business, ousting of Bangkok Governor etc were once untouchable have been dealt swiftly. The list goes on. Truth be told with the help of social media, phone cameras and such, its making people more accountable for their actions as well.

2 hours ago, mike324 said:

Eric, I've been living in Thailand for close to 30 years and a naturalize citizen. So yes I am embedded in people's daily lives more than you know as I run businesses locally (real estate and F&B) and a export business with over 200 workers. You probably have read my post countless times and we have debated quite a bit. If the recent news of massage parlor closures on ratchada isn't a big enough indication of changes made to law enforcement. I don't know what is then. Heck even foreign business owners are complaining soldiers are checking too strict, that was in the news just couple weeks ago. Care to explain what problems you have with getting your products registered for importation? But if you don't feel like it perhaps the police are still taking advantage of you because you are a foreigner hence you don't feel the change.

But as a naturalize citizen that can be passed off as a Thai, I can tell you it has cleaned up quite a bit in all different government agencies. My company deals with customs on almost weekly basis too, they have changed a lot. Sometimes it might not be the customs scamming you, don't forget it could also be your freight forwarder / agent as well.

You don't want to talk about the police, because they are too corrupt. Its good we have the soliders here that can finally do something about them, when in the past, they are pretty much untouchable. Again, not that I support the army being in charge, but its a good change to get the police to watch their backs for once.

So, what was done by the military in the previous 18 coups?

Is this coup different?

19th time lucky, perhaps?

31 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I agree, the army is in for a power grab and remaining there with the new laws in the constitutions. That is something I don't deny. But what matters more is on a lower level, law enforcement from the very bottom and up. To get citizens and civil servants to simply enforce the law will make a bigger impact in the long run. I think the society has changed a bit in the past 2 years, many will argue otherwise because most don't deal with government officials on monthly basis to notice the change. Police are watching their backs, as soldiers crack down on them. Cases such as land encroachment, massage parlours, illegal business, ousting of Bangkok Governor etc were once untouchable have been dealt swiftly. The list goes on. Truth be told with the help of social media, phone cameras and such, its making people more accountable for their actions as well.

A political purge isn't cleaning up corruption. As soon as the military have gone and this general environment of fear has been lifted, nothing will have changed. All that will have been achieved is that democracy is pushed back by 20 years. Democracy takes time to mature, which can't happen with this constant intervention by the military.

He's got some front talking about corruption! OUsts an elected government at tank barrel point, elects himself as PM, disbands all political parties so there is no competition if there ever is another election, bans free speech - particularly if it's about him - and then proceeds with a selective vendetta programme against people he sees as a threat! Ammends a constitution so he can never be arrested in the future. Scraps that constitution and foists another on the country which again, keeps the military in control. Is there anybody more corrupt?

1 hour ago, rodney earl said:

So he openely admits what we have known for years. Thailand is a corrupt country and nothing will change, while there is Thai price and a Farang price

to go to a national park and it is Government sanctioned.

Religion v tourism. elasticity v one offs.

16 hours ago, waitforusalso said:

So, what was done by the military in the previous 18 coups?

Is this coup different?

19th time lucky, perhaps?

Yes, this coup IS different, very different if you haven't noticed.  Politics wise, its the same if not worse just because the army has an iron grip on it now. It depends on how you view it. Impact on law enforcement wise, as I've said its a night and day difference if you actually deal with civil servants. Heck even those applying for citizenship and PR are having their applications moving along faster!

" A political purge isn't cleaning up corruption. As soon as the military have gone and this general environment of fear has been lifted, nothing will have changed. All that will have been achieved is that democracy is pushed back by 20 years. Democracy takes time to mature, which can't happen with this constant intervention by the military. "

Only time will tell to see if people will change, but if laws are constantly enforced, it will become a habit. People are more outspoken nowadays as well due to social media and more connected online. People are already changing in fear of being caught filmed / posted online. There is no general environment of fear if you did not do anything wrong - OTHER than the one big point "Freedom of Speech", that is another big topic itself. Thailand has been sliding backwards even with democratically elected officials, so I would say we are at a crossroads of taking two steps back before we can move forward again. Democracy doesn't need time to mature, if you read the constitution the rules and laws there. Whats lacking is just simple law enforcement.

People complain about intervention by the military, but for over 10 years, why aren't people complaining about the bigger problem. Intervention of the Police, they are the real parasites effecting Thailand's society holding it back from development.

7 hours ago, mike324 said:

Yes, this coup IS different, very different if you haven't noticed.  Politics wise, its the same if not worse just because the army has an iron grip on it now. It depends on how you view it. Impact on law enforcement wise, as I've said its a night and day difference if you actually deal with civil servants. Heck even those applying for citizenship and PR are having their applications moving along faster!

Only time will tell to see if people will change, but if laws are constantly enforced, it will become a habit. People are more outspoken nowadays as well due to social media and more connected online. People are already changing in fear of being caught filmed / posted online. There is no general environment of fear if you did not do anything wrong - OTHER than the one big point "Freedom of Speech", that is another big topic itself. Thailand has been sliding backwards even with democratically elected officials, so I would say we are at a crossroads of taking two steps back before we can move forward again. Democracy doesn't need time to mature, if you read the constitution the rules and laws there. Whats lacking is just simple law enforcement.

People complain about intervention by the military, but for over 10 years, why aren't people complaining about the bigger problem. Intervention of the Police, they are the real parasites effecting Thailand's society holding it back from development.

So, you are claiming to know what it was like after every coup in Thailand. Even if we did believe your spiel about being so connected in Thailand, this is a ludicrous claim. If you are so knowledgeable about the situation you would know that this coup is not about combating corruption, as you claim it is. As Ernest Bower, senior advisor at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, says in his report, the reason for this coup is well known, but has nothing to do with eradicating corruption. You have been fooled by the facade.

You claim there is no environment of fear.  I make a deliberate effort to ask as many Thais as possible about their assessment of the political situation and the overwhelming response I get is, "Be careful, you (we) are not allowed to discuss this topic." The military have done an astoundingly fine job of muzzling their citizens through threats and fear. Many Thais now equate the discussion of politics with lese majeste. Not really surprising given the army's heavy handed suppression of people's rights, including imprisoning thousands, dragging people away by their hair, man-handling women into vehicles, forcing people to take off t-shirts, removing stickers and taking down a simple calendar. I can literally purchase a Hitler calendar from the internet and hang it up without fear of repercussions from the military, but can't do the same with one of Yingluck Shinawatra.

There have been so many cases of military intervention in politics around the world throughout history, and the results are almost always negative. For someone who claims to be knowledgeable and experienced in Thailand I am surprised with your shallow views and interpretation of the situation.

Archived