Changing From Retirement To Marriage Extension - Need New Visa?

Greenside

I have a non-immigrant O visa issued in the UK last year and subsequently got a retirement extension which runs out very shortly.  This time (and going forward) I want to apply for an annual marriage extension but someone just told me that I may have to go and get a new non-O as CM immigration won't allow a change.  Does anyone know if this is true?

Do not know rules now. 

But 10 years ago I went from married to retirement in one day with same visa,I did it under advice from an immigration officer that anted to help me stay in the country. Mine is non immigrant 0 also. Just need every thing in order and ready for immigration as far as I know.

I understand your concern about waiting then finding out immigration wants some thing more than you have. Some times a person has no control over things. Get there early and hope for the best. A lot depends on who in immigration  some are easy to deal with others are difficult. It is luck of the draw. The worst scenario I can see is a long wait only to be told come back with more papers.So will mean 2 trips  Life is not fair some times but what you want to do can be done that is the important issue right. It may just mean a few hoops to jump through you did not see coming.

Not that I've done it or know anyone that has, but a non O can be any extension for that category, so I don't know why you can't just apply with relevant paperwork and money requirements for the different extension.

If you go now, assuming your money is OK re seasoning etc, and they turn you down, you can still apply for a retirement extension.

As marriage visas are done at the airport office, you may find there is no very long q.

In any event, if you are able why don't you go and ask them?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not that I've done it or know anyone that has, but a non O can be any extension for that category, so I don't know why you can't just apply with relevant paperwork and money requirements for the different extension.

If you go now, assuming your money is OK re seasoning etc, and they turn you down, you can still apply for a retirement extension.

As marriage visas are done at the airport office, you may find there is no very long q.

In any event, if you are able why don't you go and ask them?

If you dont have this amount , ie 400,000.00 you can opt to show you have 40,000 B coming in each month and get your embassy to issue proof of income letter. Good luck.

Retirement V Marriage Extension?  Retirement is indeed easier to get but keeping 800,000 baht in a country where the political climate can change overnight is not very appealing and, for UK citizens at least, the cost of an annual income letter is annoying at something like 3000 baht.  Also, should be offered your dream job, you can apply for a work permit with a marriage extension which you can't with a retirement one.  Anyway, too late for me this year.....

The result from yesterday:

Arrived just before 6:00 am and was given a number at about half past.  Was told this would be an afternoon appointment so went off to do more useful things and came back at 1:00 with my wife.  Our number was called at around 3:00 and it went without a hitch - no issues with the Non-O as rumoured and no requests for a TM30 or anything else we didn't have.  Was asked to draw a map to our house to replace the fabulous high resolution Google version with directions which has been well received by everyone from the gas delivery guy to shippers from Bangkok, so smiled and rendered a particularly poor effort in pencil out of pique.  They have the original 90 Day officer there doing something at a desk which says it's for 90 day reports and since mine is due this week I was told I could do it there.  While it was better to get all this over on the same day, the advantage was diminished by the two Agents in front of me each of whom had 6 or 7 sets of something to have processed many of which required payment, receipt issuing and multiple stamping in a way that harks back to a 1950's post office.

I'll ask Tywais to add these tips to the definitive list of documents etc needed to do a marriage extension but here's what helped....

1. We had two copies of everything including the application (TM7) along with a second photograph (which by the way doesn't have to be 4 x 6cm - my standard passport size that fitted the box printed on the form was accepted without comment).
  2. Everything needs signing in blue ink with your name printed underneath.  Marriage certificates need signing by both partners and where a sheet is two sided you need to do both sides.
  3. We gave them two of each item paper clipped together but since he then had to sort them into piles, I think that offering two identical sets of papers would be more convenient.
  4. We included copies of the Tabien Baan entries for my wife and children and my Yellow TB.  No questions about address asked and no original documents examined except for my passport and my wife's ID card.
  5. Although we gave them our Marriage Certificate, we also provided the proof of my wife's name change so it matched her ID Card.

My impression is that Visa Agents' attention to things like the above tips makes life easier for the Immigration Officers (who work amazingly hard) but that doing it yourself doesn't present much of a challenge, given you've still got to come up with all the originals and do all the tedious signing.  This probably amounted to one early call and about half a day's time so although I still have to get the OK from Bangkok next month, it's worked out happily so far.

Edited by Greenside

5 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Retirement V Marriage Extension?  Retirement is indeed easier to get but keeping 800,000 baht in a country where the political climate can change overnight is not very appealing and, for UK citizens at least, the cost of an annual income letter is annoying at something like 3000 baht.  Also, should be offered your dream job, you can apply for a work permit with a marriage extension which you can't with a retirement one.  Anyway, too late for me this year.....

The result from yesterday:

Arrived just before 6:00 am and was given a number at about half past.  Was told this would be an afternoon appointment so went off to do more useful things and came back at 1:00 with my wife.  Our number was called at around 3:00 and it went without a hitch - no issues with the Non-O as rumoured and no requests for a TM30 or anything else we didn't have.  Was asked to draw a map to our house to replace the fabulous high resolution Google version with directions which has been well received by everyone from the gas delivery guy to shippers from Bangkok, so smiled and rendered a particularly poor effort in pencil out of pique.  They have the original 90 Day officer there doing something at a desk which says it's for 90 day reports and since mine is due this week I was told I could do it there.  While it was better to get all this over on the same day, the advantage was diminished by the two Agents in front of me each of which had 6 or 7 sets of something to have processed many of which required payment, receipt issuing and multiple stamping in a way that harks back to a 1950's post office.

I'll ask Tywais to add these tips to the definitive list of documents etc needed to do a marriage extension but here's what helped....

1. We had two copies of everything including the application (TM7) along with a second photograph (which by the way doesn't have to be 4 x 6cm - my standard passport size that fitted the box printed on the form was accepted without comment).
  2. Everything needs signing in blue ink with your name printed underneath.  Marriage certificates need signing by both partners and where a sheet is two sided you need to do both sides.
  3. We gave them two of each item paper clipped together but since he then had to sort them into piles, I think that offering two identical sets of papers would be more convenient.
  4. We included copies of the Tabien Baan entries for my wife and children and my Yellow TB.  No questions about address asked and no original documents examined except for my passport and my wife's ID card.
  5. Although we gave them our Marriage Certificate, we also provided the proof of my wife's name change so it matched her ID Card.

My impression is that Visa Agents' attention to things like the above tips makes life easier for the Immigration Officers (who work amazingly hard) but that doing it yourself doesn't present much of a challenge, given you've still got to come up with all the originals and do all the tedious signing.  This probably amounted to one early call and about half a day's time so although I still have to get the OK from Bangkok next month, it's worked out happily so far.

I changed this year (March) from retirement to marriage visa and it's a stressful process especially when I exceeded the monetary requirement for a retirement visa so the chief of Rayong immigration kept trying to persuade me to stick with it as it was easier for them. Same as you I had done a google map which they weren't so happy about but the home visit went very well as the immigration officer liked our dogs and told us that we had passed the visit. I changed to a marriage visa as I didn't want 800,00 baht sitting around in a bank although some friends bought government bonds for the financial requirement and even though I exceeded the financial requirement I wanted the marriage visa this year to get it done now in case of any rule changes or just immigration being obstinate as when I got my yellow book the rules were stricter than in previous years for some friends. I hope the visa renewal is easier next year .....

I moved from a business visa to a marriage visa because immigration said it was much easier. If you work it is hardly much easier. This year however was the first time I have successfully renewed on a one stop occasion. The reason, in my opinion, had more to do with staff changes that much else, somebody moved to the airport, please let her stay there!

Please note if you have children birth certificates must be included and the kids must be in the photos.

Immigration will visit your home first time so please make sure that you are registered with immigration at the address (90 day reporting does not count, nor does 'I informed you when I came through the airport) by the blue book holder or they fine the blue book holder, who will then blame you I guess.The fine is not much but it got under my skin although the immigration lady said 'don't worry you have done nothing wrong...just your wife has!' Yeah, that worked!

24 minutes ago, Greenside said:

I just did it.  That's a grumpy kind of post... :)

Not directed at you. You have your reasons.:thumbsup: I does flame my arse  when others hijack a thread with their personal viepoints and give an OP NO help or answer for there question.:D

10 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Simple.  They are much easier to get, except for the baht requirement.

I have been married for 10 years, when I came here to live in November, we had all the paperwork that could fill a library, so we went to Sakon Nakhon immigration to apply for a spouse visa, guy at immigration said to the wife, with your husbands bank balance we can give him a one year retirement visa NOW, its much easier he stated, otherwise you will have to come back with more paperwork, I couldn't see what other possible paperwork they could require as we had enough for a library, and based on all the information we obtained from them twice over the phone before going, we couldn't see any issues, as the Irish say, to be sure, to be sure.

10 minutes later and 250 baht (please sister I look after you if you give me something for my troubles) and I have a retirement visa, do the 90 reporting as much as a pain as it is, and move forwards.

I am thinking at the end of the retirement visa to apply for the spouse visa again, or is this a no no ?

56 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have been married for 10 years, when I came here to live in November, we had all the paperwork that could fill a library, so we went to Sakon Nakhon immigration to apply for a spouse visa, guy at immigration said to the wife, with your husbands bank balance we can give him a one year retirement visa NOW, its much easier he stated, otherwise you will have to come back with more paperwork, I couldn't see what other possible paperwork they could require as we had enough for a library, and based on all the information we obtained from them twice over the phone before going, we couldn't see any issues, as the Irish say, to be sure, to be sure.

10 minutes later and 250 baht (please sister I look after you if you give me something for my troubles) and I have a retirement visa, do the 90 reporting as much as a pain as it is, and move forwards.

I am thinking at the end of the retirement visa to apply for the spouse visa again, or is this a no no ?

Its a yes yes.:D Up to you.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, bridge2bridge said:

DON"T do it.

Retirement is MUCH easier and less hassles.

Rubbish. I changed from retirement to marriage a couple of months back. Not an issue. More work for them, but I didn't encounter any problems at all.

Cheers.....     Mal.

56 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am on extensions based on marriage visa since 8 years now, don't see anything difficult. You would not have needed any more paperwork after a month, the time of concideration. I'm not sure why so many I.Officers recommend visas based on retirement, but i suspect money could be a reason. As maybe hundreds of thousends of foreigners stay here longterm, married and over 50, it's a conciderable sum of money when all of them park some additional 400'000 Baht in Thai banks. That's billions and billions as a nearly free and save credit.

34 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Rubbish. I changed from retirement to marriage a couple of months back. Not an issue. More work for them, but I didn't encounter any problems at all.

Cheers.....     Mal.

Thanks for the clarification, is there any benefit, e.g. no more 90 day reporting ?

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks for the clarification, is there any benefit, e.g. no more 90 day reporting ?

You have to do a 90 day report on any extension marriage or retirement. You have no choice on this. If you were on a "True" visa such as an O-multy based on marriage thats is good for 12 months then you have to leave the country and re enter to activated your next 90 days stay. This kind of visa can be had localy only at the Thai consult in Savannakhet Lao with only your marriage certificate, 5000 baht, and NO proof of any moneys. This visa can be stretched to 15 months

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

You have to do a 90 day report on any extension marriage or retirement. You have no choice on this. If you were on a "True" visa such as an O-multy based on marriage thats is good for 12 months then you have to leave the country and re enter to activated your next 90 days stay. This kind of visa can be had localy only at the Thai consult in Savannakhet Lao with only your marriage certificate, 5000 baht, and NO proof of any moneys. This visa can be stretched to 15 months

Shattered, just want to get rid of this 90 day hang, I have not heard of this in any other country, must have to do with Thainess ?

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Shattered, just want to get rid of this 90 day hang, I have not heard of this in any other country, must have to do with Thainess ?

You and everyone else but its not going to happen.:D You report every 90 days or leave the country. Up 2 U.:rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

You and everyone else but its not going to happen.:D You report every 90 days or leave the country. Up 2 U.:rolleyes:

They will have to drag me out screaming..............the 90 day, one day report to your local parole office isn't that bad, just boring, I could be entertaining the ladies :)

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They will have to drag me out screaming..............the 90 day, one day report to your local parole office isn't that bad, just boring, I could be entertaining the ladies :)

Up 2 U but by law and it is still on the books if your on a 1 year extension and did not report your fine could be 60,000 baht.:facepalm:

Yeah, 90 day report still a reality. Mail or online report is the way to go unless you live close to the IO.

The situation here in Sakon Nakhon maybe unique. All staff at the immigration office here are really friendly & efficient. I have successfully done online 90 day report but I don't mind visiting the IO & getting friendly smiles.

Maybe I'm just lucky.