Thinking hard about moving back to the US

Strange

4 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Most areas in the US have cheap and healthy eating options if one avails themselves...and there are farmer's markets 3-4 days a week in many places, with more healthy variety of fresh fruits, veggies, meats, breads, and prepared foods than are found at any Thai market.

I believe you.  But my experience in Nevada was not a good one unless you wanted to cook yourself and spend hours to look for healthy food. Walmart's was the only option for me and well you know what you'll get there .

I am talking about the food you find in cheaper restaurants. Also freshly baked rye bread , supermarkets do not sell them unless you want added chemicals and sugar . No real bakery to be found in Nevada. .  

The food courts in the malls were a terrible experience. Panda Express , they call it Chinese food , tasted like s..... , just terrible and you have to pay $4 for it + taxes. Compare that with Thailand , like night and day.  At least a 40 baht plate here will get you fried rice that tastes like the real deal .

Edited by balo

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you were in a crappy area for good food access, didn't know where to find it, personal access issues, etc.

Shopping only out of Walmart and having access only to Panda Express yes, does sound like hell.

Your experience is nothing like mine when I lived in the USA (or visits). As far as I'm concerned, the USA in a number of urban areas, even many urban suburbs, is a PARADISE for lovers of diverse foods. Of course costs will be different depending on a lot of factors and clearly Thai food will be more expensive than Thailand in restaurants, but on the other hand most Thai ingredients for cooking are about the same as in Thailand (weirdly) in large Asian markets. 

I believe you had such a bad personal experience (no reason not to) but to project that on the entire USA food scene is extremely unfair. 

Three days, three months, or thirty years, sorry, but you MISSED out. 

I have a complex set of personal factors probably pushing me back to the USA. In some ways, that's depressing, but the food scene in the USA is a big part of why it's not so depressing. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds like you were a crappy area for good food access, didn't know where to find it, personal access issues, etc.

Shopping only out of Walmart and having access only to Panda Express yes, does sound like hell.

Your experience is nothing like mine when I lived in the USA (or visits). As far as I'm concerned, the USA is a number of urban areas, even urban suburbs, is a PARADISE for lovers of diverse foods. Of course costs will be different depending on a lot of factors and clearly Thai food will be more expensive than Thailand in restaurants, but on the other hand most Thai ingredients for cooking are about the same as in Thailand (weirdly) in large Asian markets. 

I believe you had such a bad experience but to project that on the entire USA food scene is extremely unfair. 

Exactly what I was going to post. Walmart is what it is, you go there to buy the basics to stock the kitchen with. Simple breads, eggs, cheese, meats, milk, etc. Buy socks and T-shirts to mow the grass in... 

There is a TON of food choices, and the fact that the cellular data networks are lightning fast (I get 60Mbs on Verizon 4G Lte  - Good luck with that in Thailand) and just about everything is on google maps or the internet in general, and the fact that smartphones can be utilized to their fullest potential, you can literally ask "Siri" for whatever you want, sort by location and reviews, then follow the GPS to precisely where you need to go, all in one fell swoop. So many options for food and everything else at your fingertips. 

Another thing, let's face it, is that many Europeans have a built in bias about the food situation in the USA, ignorantly thinking everyone lives on McDonalds, so aren't even motivated to be open (and to make an effort) to the idea that those biases are incorrect. In other words, irrational snobbishness. 

That said, I've experienced some crappy regions for food in the USA. I was stuck in a small midwestern town (Walmart was indeed the big deal there) once for awhile and the options were indeed atrocious. 

If I had grown up there without travel, not sure how I would have even known about better options! 

Edited by Jingthing

On point there^^

I think the bias also flows down to a lot of things "American". They think its some kind of 3rd world dump where they are at risk of being shot or something and think to themselves "Why would you want to go there?" 

The reality is much, much different. 

2 hours ago, balo said:

I believe you.  But my experience in Nevada was not a good one unless you wanted to cook yourself and spend hours to look for healthy food. Walmart's was the only option for me and well you know what you'll get there .

I am talking about the food you find in cheaper restaurants. Also freshly baked rye bread , supermarkets do not sell them unless you want added chemicals and sugar . No real bakery to be found in Nevada. .  

The food courts in the malls were a terrible experience. Panda Express , they call it Chinese food , tasted like s..... , just terrible and you have to pay $4 for it + taxes. Compare that with Thailand , like night and day.  At least a 40 baht plate here will get you fried rice that tastes like the real deal .

That does explain your experience...Nevada is a bit of a food desert. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area so while California does have an income tax...at least there's good food.  :wai2:

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Another thing, let's face it, is that many Europeans have a built in bias about the food situation in the USA, ignorantly thinking everyone lives on McDonalds, so aren't even motivated to be open (and to make an effort) to the idea that those biases are incorrect. In other words, irrational snobbishness. 

That said, I've experienced some crappy regions for food in the USA. I was stuck in a small midwestern town (Walmart was indeed the big deal there) once for awhile and the options were indeed atrocious. 

If I had grown up there without travel, not sure how I would have even known about better options! 

The food situation in the US can't be too bad, with about a third of the population obese.

9 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Actually obesity can be a sign of poor nutrition and a dearth of healthy food options. It's highly corrolated with living in "food deserts."

Absolutely. What culinary delights have the Americans given the world? Hamburgers.

The food situation in the US can't be too bad, with about a third of the population obese.

The Android app is working agan if you can read this.

Yes overweight is a big problem , it started in the US and now it has become a world wide health problem, even in Thailand. I blame it on the fast food chains . Just outside of Vegas where I lived , the options for healthy food were very limited , but if there was a gas station nearby you will find all the unhealthy stuff too. People are too lazy to get out of their cars so drive-through fast food restaurants are everywhere. A donut and a burger , and a coke or milkshake. It's a daily diet for many Americans.

5 hours ago, balo said:

Your comments are all about cost, like you are too poor to afford anything.

No bakeries in Nevada? Are you serious? Get a grip man.

Organic food is sold all over Nevada.

Who in their right mind goes to any food court in any mall in the USA and expects good food? That junk is there for tourists like you who don't know any better.

Complaining about paying $4 for food? Are you serious? Comparing the USA prices with Thailand? Seriously?

How come you are not comparing food in the Thai Mall Food court? Is the food at the Emporium food court 40 baht?

First thing you learn in the USA, is the food courts are not the place to look for good food.

Guess you missed that lesson

3 hours ago, balo said:

A donut and a burger , and a coke or milkshake. It's a daily diet for many Americans.

Don't forget the 32 oz soda with free refills. LOL!!!! 

Its a weird deal in the US. sometimes. If they were to serve you the proper healthy portion size, people would complain big time saying they are getting ripped off and business would go belly up. But serve a 2lb burrito loaded with guacamole and sour cream for $7 bucks and people will chat you up big time on every food app in town and people will eat all 2lbs of it in one sitting.

People are overweight in the US because they eat highly processed foods, exercise very little and stress a lot. Explains why bypass surgery is almost an outpatient process now. LOL!!!

13 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

That does explain your experience...Nevada is a bit of a food desert. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area so while California does have an income tax...at least there's good food.  :wai2:

San Francisco has some of the best restaurants in the world. I am in Southern California now - more expensive and not nearly as good.

I have always been amazed how much emphasis many people put on food and eating. It is not that big of deal breaker for me. I used to joke with my colleagues back in the US as I would say "I only eat because if not, I would die". But for some its everything. They eat to a rigid schedule; 8-12-5 everyday without exception. Miss a time slot and they become irritable. Used to frustrate me a lot as I would go places with folks and the first thing they did was search out their eating plan and agenda. I have been on quite a few cruises and all the couples we went with did nothing but eat and eat. 

Man I just eat when I am hungry. I have expectations on the food quality I do eat, but it never ever drives my day.

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

I have been on quite a few cruises and all the couples we went with did nothing but eat and eat. 

Let me guess, they were overweight all of them ? 

I do not follow a food schedule , but I want to eat healthy food , I'm down to two nutritious meals per day , no fast food for me, except if I have no other choice, like stuck in the desert lol. 

Edited by balo

18 hours ago, JAFO said:

Don't forget the 32 oz soda with free refills. LOL!!!! 

Its a weird deal in the US. sometimes. If they were to serve you the proper healthy portion size, people would complain big time saying they are getting ripped off and business would go belly up. But serve a 2lb burrito loaded with guacamole and sour cream for $7 bucks and people will chat you up big time on every food app in town and people will eat all 2lbs of it in one sitting.

People are overweight in the US because they eat highly processed foods, exercise very little and stress a lot. Explains why bypass surgery is almost an outpatient process now. LOL!!!

I blow up like a balloon during trips back to the US.  I let myself go and indulge for maybe the first 2 weeks, sampling all my favorites - Carl's Jr., various "Mexican" fast food joints, Denny's for breakfast, Butcher Shop prime rib, Coor's Light, Dos Equis beer.  It's wonderful but man, I feel it packing on in almost real time. 

Takes me about 2 months to re-regulate when we return to LOS, replacing Fritos and bean dip with fresh fruit and vegetable snacks.  Get out and perspire heavily in the heat/humidity doing the daily garden chores, can almost feel the sludge oozing out of me that first week back.   Ugh!

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Takes me about 2 months to re-regulate when we return to LOS, replacing Fritos and bean dip with fresh fruit and vegetable snacks.  Get out and perspire heavily in the heat/humidity doing the daily garden chores, can almost feel the sludge oozing out of me that first week back.

I do not indulge in the foods you do but the ones I eat are just so heavy. In a week or so I start to feel lethargic. I truly understand why people in the US are obese. One time my wife and I went to this nice place for dinner in Monterey. My wife said "Order 1 thing and 2 plates because they give you enough food to feed a family of four per plate". She was absolutely right. We had a salad, some fresh french bread and split the fresh salmon. Of course that is heavily frowned on because they want you to cough up a $100 but my wife told the waitress, I am sorry but you serving sizes are too big.

I noticed last trip a few restaurants are offering small servings. Funny though, the price is still about the same. 

Edited by JAFO

27 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I do not indulge in the foods you do but the ones I eat are just so heavy. In a week or so I start to feel lethargic. I truly understand why people in the US are obese. One time my wife and I went to this nice place for dinner in Monterey. My wife said "Order 1 thing and 2 plates because they give you enough food to feed a family of four per plate". She was absolutely right. We had a salad, some fresh french bread and split the fresh salmon. Of course that is heavily frowned on because they want you to cough up a $100 but my wife told the waitress, I am sorry but you serving sizes are too big.

I noticed last trip a few restaurants are offering small servings. Funny though, the price is still about the same. 

For a quick sunset picnic in Hawaii we would share one takeout order of Korean or Chinese from Ala Moana and feel full afterward.  The quantity of food people eat over there is amazing, then again so is the sunset from Magic Island.

Back to the OP's original post, no he's not the only one. I have for a while been considering whether a move back to the US makes sense. Anyone that still deludes themselves that it's 'cheap' to live here is delusional, unless of course you want go native and live in an Isaan shack.

I have a life here, my wife would have some cultural issues, not least food, but I could probably live back in South Dakota as cheaply as here, everything would work, all the time, people would drive according to the law, and be generally honest.

As I get older, and probably more cynical, this country, it's politics, military, elites, endless coups, disgusts me more and more. We may well have Trump, but compared to a lot of the characters here, he's nothing more than a clown in a soap opera, compared to the truly evil leaders here

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I blow up like a balloon during trips back to the US.  I let myself go and indulge for maybe the first 2 weeks, sampling all my favorites - Carl's Jr., various "Mexican" fast food joints, Denny's for breakfast, Butcher Shop prime rib, Coor's Light, Dos Equis beer.  It's wonderful but man, I feel it packing on in almost real time. 

Takes me about 2 months to re-regulate when we return to LOS, replacing Fritos and bean dip with fresh fruit and vegetable snacks.  Get out and perspire heavily in the heat/humidity doing the daily garden chores, can almost feel the sludge oozing out of me that first week back.   Ugh!

Coors light..... In a cooler full of ice..... Fishing for redfish in pristine flats with no trash, tourists, touts, pollution.... Coming home all sunburnt and having fresh fish with more beer.... Achieving a full day of independence without hearing a single "YOU YOU" "FARANG" or the locals giggling at you wondering if the "farang" is capable of anything in Thailand because "This is Thai-lan"

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

I have always been amazed how much emphasis many people put on food and eating. It is not that big of deal breaker for me. I used to joke with my colleagues back in the US as I would say "I only eat because if not, I would die". But for some its everything. They eat to a rigid schedule; 8-12-5 everyday without exception. Miss a time slot and they become irritable. Used to frustrate me a lot as I would go places with folks and the first thing they did was search out their eating plan and agenda. I have been on quite a few cruises and all the couples we went with did nothing but eat and eat. 

Man I just eat when I am hungry. I have expectations on the food quality I do eat, but it never ever drives my day.

For me its not just the food thing by itself, its a culmination of several different factors. I do like to eat on a schedule 90% of the time, but for me the issue is when I do actually want to go out and splurge, the options here are pretty crap, and in places like BKK where there are different "Cuisines" most of the places are more of a novelty than anything. 

It does not make thailand a deal breaker, but it adds to the list of negatives imo.  

Food not a major factor for me but sure, when I go to Murica, I indulge because it is not available here where we live, certainly not in the form and quality I enjoy.   Same as any other nationality might do if they live abroad and go "home" for visits.  Thankfully my Mrs. is a star in the kitchen, I'm on roughly 60% Thai food which I enjoy, no problems at all, the rest is different kinds of farang food.   If we were in the US living normal day to day life, we would be about the same I imagine but every now and then.....gotta hit a Roberto's and tuck into big ole sloppy carne asada burrito. :tongue:

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Coors light..... In a cooler full of ice..... Fishing for redfish in pristine flats with no trash, tourists, touts, pollution.... Coming home all sunburnt and having fresh fish with more beer.... Achieving a full day of independence without hearing a single "YOU YOU" "FARANG" or the locals giggling at you wondering if the "farang" is capable of anything in Thailand because "This is Thai-lan"

There is that.  I know my way around, been here 4 years but my wife still worries about me going out alone here.  It annoys me A LOT but I get it.  

In the US, sure, I'm more comfortable and independent there.  No slight against Thailand, just the way it is.  My Mrs. gets a little cagey in the US but she's confident, excellent driver right or left hand drive, stick, auto, doesn't matter.  Last time back, after she'd gotten some stick time, I put the phone on the dash, turned on the Navigator and sent her out for some "alone" time.  She loves Ross and bargain places like that, and I just suck at mindless wandering around stores and malls. :laugh:

8 hours ago, 55Jay said:

She loves Ross and bargain places like that, and I just suck at mindless wandering around stores and malls. :laugh:

It is funny how much my wife loves Ross too

When we are here I drop her off & go to the Olympic  pool for an hour swim

because like you I am not good at that wandering in the store for long

But yes wives love Ross & looking

12 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I know my way around, been here 4 years but my wife still worries about me going out alone here.  It annoys me A LOT but I get it.  

In the US, sure, I'm more comfortable and independent there.  No slight against Thailand, just the way it is.  My Mrs. gets a little cagey in the US but she's confident, excellent driver right or left hand drive, stick, auto, doesn't matter.  Last time back, after she'd gotten some stick time, I put the phone on the dash, turned on the Navigator and sent her out for some "alone" time.  She loves Ross and bargain places like that, and I just suck at mindless wandering around stores and malls

Thanks for the good laugh 55jay. Seems we live similar lives. If I go somewhere in Thailand my wife worries constantly. Of course I tell her I appreciate it but that doesn't matter. We are apart on and off when I work and yet she still finds time to ask me if I got dinner and how was my drive back and forth from work

US same way. My wife drives excellent.  She routinely would take off to Ross, Marshall's, Gap, Levi stores to get deals on stuff. She was set up online to her phone to get coupons and discounts. She used to come back with deals that floored me. She totally learned how to maximize every single discount. She would come back with 15 articles of clothing and spent like $18. She stocked up things that we brought with us in the container or that she took back with her to visit. Funny how I never even paid attention to all that stuff. 

Shopping...that's another thing about the US we enjoy - wife in particular, especially in "vacation mode".  Even I enjoy a good wander around evil Walmart and supermarkets, we must look like weirdos perving over real cuts of beef and fat, country style pork ribs, cheese and wine. :tongue:   

My Mom introduced us to a small chain in San Diego area called "GTM".  http://www.gtmstores.com/coupons/     What a fantastic place, if you're ever in the San Diego county area, recommend you take a peek, see what they've got going on at the time. 

They collect all sorts of unsold stock from main stream stores and warehouse/outlets, Ross, Costco, etc..  Being the consummate anti-shopper,  I had to be dragged there the first time but my eye balls fell out at the prices and "real" sales on top of that - Union Bay shorts for $7-$12, Calvin Klein and Greg Norman cool/wicking golf style polo shirts for $10,  Cooke Street and Tommy Bahama stuff for $14-$16,  "Flojo" sandals for $7.   I don't care much about "brands" but this was quality gear, not defective rejects, honest to god value for money so we jumped on it.  Was in there for 3 hours, did a full Thailand appropriate wardrobe reset and have visited every time we go back since.   We don't do that here, maybe the occasional look in at 77 Exports or an outlet but generally speaking, we top up in the States and bring it back. 

Edited by 55Jay