Thinking hard about moving back to the US

Strange

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

Lol no not really I know many people with a degree in the UK, they can tell you the square root of an orange but they can't peel the bloody thing. Several of them have failed the highway code computer based exam more than once. It's ok going and getting a degree but untill they live in the real world for a few years there bloody useless. Where as I also know many people with bog standard  gcse's or whatever there called now, and have life experiance and are a hell of a lot more savvy than the degree wallers

Can we presume that you don't have a degree? 

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Might have a lot to do with the hard core of criminals and undesirables pitching tents in Thailand. 

Maybe other countries don't have these requirements because there aren't as many of these types of "expats" living in there.

Let's see how long it takes Cambodia to introduce tighter criteria once all the losers who marvel at the lax immigration rules there start getting up to the tricks they used to get away with here

That is palatable as it is very true Thailand has had a reputation from even pre-Vietnam war days that attracts such...clientele

But does that mean that even the good expats the ones that have been here many many years married etc & have been scrutinized year after year will never get a break?

If so at times I did wonder why they gave me a yearly extension year after year only to be told ...dont forget to report in 90 days.

You may as well just make 90 day visa extensions then because that is really all you  gave in order to stay legal

In many ways I am starting to see the logic of the multi entry visa guys who just side step it all with small pleasant trips :whistling:

23 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Might have a lot to do with the hard core of criminals and undesirables pitching tents in Thailand. 

Maybe other countries don't have these requirements because there aren't as many of these types of "expats" living in there.

Let's see how long it takes Cambodia to introduce tighter criteria once all the losers who marvel at the lax immigration rules there start getting up to the tricks they used to get away with here

More hard core criminals go to Europe and the UK where they practise real crime. The crims who come to Thailand don't do much real crime at all. They relax ' party and holiday. 

15 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

One year visa extensions for all still less than 300 US I believe

All sorted by a agent if thats out of reach then I suppose overstay would be about the only option left open

There is nowhere else in SE Asia that is going to be within there financial capabilities

I have seen a westerner in Phnom Penh aged about 50 sorting through the rubbish over the last couple of years

The first time I saw him he looked a sorry sight but a couple of months ago he looked in much better nick

Maybe an overstayer who knows

My first thoughts of home were when I was run off the road and needed medical help. Aside from the comment by the offending driver " I want the kill you now " as HE WAS UPSET and the inaction by police...'blank stares', it was the cockroach under the X-ray table..later at the fancy private hospital ( when I feared internal bleeding ) and I asked the doctor ( who looked like a young soapy tv star ) if he'd listen to my chest with a stephascope..which he reluctantly did and said to my GF " too much hair "  made me wish I was back in my home country. 

If these things regarding health and security concern you then the choice is obvious.

It won't be your last mistake I am certain!    

I am an American and I have lived here for 14 years in Chiang Mai and as much as I love my friends in America, I no longer love America for what it has become.    

"Take your time, think a lot , think of everything you've got now cuz you will still be here tomorrow but your dreams may not"   Cat Stevens

IMHO- the OP- at his age will be much better off taking his career to America where the pay and opportunities to advance are much greater than working in the current Oil and Gas industry in Asia. In addition, his wife can also find an occupation that is fulfilling and pays better than in Thailand. In addition, because of their combined income- they can purchase a house and have it paid off before the Op retires. He can then sell it for a nice profit or rent it out and use the income for retirement.  Also, with both he and spouse working in the US- they can build up their social security account and have this to use in Thailand during retirement. Thailand will always be here.. The key to retirement is that one must plan for it when one is young and project the kind of life style one wants to have. The Op needs to explain all of this to his wife so she can 'buy in' to the plan. 

While the OP is sitting and waiting for the Gas and Oil market to rebound- he is spending money and not making anything and he sounds rather bored- no mental stimulation and the area he lives in Thailand is too rural for what he needs.

The OP needs to choose the area in America where he lives carefully so there is some type of support network nearby for his Thai wife. She will definitely miss Thailand and the easy access to Thai food. Living in Thailand is convenient- vendors everywhere; access to most things quickly if you have money; and a community spirit. The OP won't find that in the US- where everything must be accessed by car and the service levels are  indifferent. However, if both parties are working- most of the day is going to be spent at the job. Both California and Florida have multi racial and multi ethnic populations and a goodly amount of Thai people. Los Angeles has Thai town and you can live within a 50 mile radius of the city and still go into the area easily on weekends.  Almost every state now has access to Asian foods/rice etc and Thai restaurants are everywhere.

I am retired and in Thailand and like it here. I always wanted to live in Thailand and will die here. It Is not as great as it once was because it has  been infected by many of the social ills that have plagued the developing World.  I do not feel discriminated against per se but I know that I will never be accepted in the same manner as a Thai person and that is OK.  Thai society has various quirks and nuances that are irritating but  we as foreigners have to assimilate  just as Thais moving to another country must do the same. Thai people are still friendly and there is still a real Thai smile that you can find.

The OP   will find life in America much different than Thailand and that is because Americans are more serious about life. They key to living there is to have a plan, stick with it, but find some enjoyment in a hobby or other activity and try to do things together as a family .Good luck to you and your family..

1 hour ago, Agent Sumo said:

Ok but I have no idea about Cambodia.

and this is about thailand.

tighter criteria, try and do the retirement vias now , it is very, very hard to do it .

It has to be done in your own country not like the past.

43 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

No we cannot presume, I just did it another way. Got my degree 10 years ago having got all of life's degree's first

:D

My personal take on them is that if you don't have much common sense before you take one you won't change much afterwards. But that applies equally to people who don't have them. Having said all of that I do prefer that my doctor, surgeon, dentist, etc has one rather than just learned "on the job" so to speak.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Spoken by someone who obviously hasn't bothered to try postal or online reporting and also truly has absolutely no experience of what the slightest hint of criminality, alleged or adjudicated entails or had to do any sort of court-mandated reporting, probation, etc..

Some of You man on TV are a joke , it is not about me ok , it is about someone going back home because he is over things you have to do here in thailand, that makes him think going home will be a better life .

get back on to what it is about.

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

:D

My personal take on them is that if you don't have much common sense before you take one you won't change much afterwards. But that applies equally to people who don't have them. Having said all of that I do prefer that my doctor, surgeon, dentist, etc has one rather than just learned "on the job" so to speak.

It's all about having some life experience. Out of the box is always hard no matter what. New to any walk of life. Once a bit of life experience kicks in things tend to pick up. I can remember my first day at work in the big wide world 15 and a half thinking I'm the bees knee's. It took about 5 seconds in the new job to realise I knew jack shit. My point was really you said about a thai girl and failing her written test I was pointing out it doesn't need to be Thai with a degree is all. I wouldnt class American education as world class either mind.

17 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Seriously?  Wasn't trying to be mean, but I'm sure you know that some folks in the south USA aren't too keen on interracial relationships.  To put it mildly.

Why are you trying to point out to me what it will be like living in the south? 

I AM FROM THE SOUTH

Where the hell do you get this noise from? Seriously you need to turn off BBC news. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's funny. 

Tampa (more like St. Pete) is top of my list for repatriation.

But I haven't even been there.

I would never want to move to Miami but I do like Ft. Lauderdale.

I read that list. It's very stupid. Not the kinds of things most not insane people would care about at all.

If that's their list of disses for Tampa, then it can't really be that bad, because that's a very weak negatives list. 

A description I often see of the Tampa area is a MIX of Atlanta and Miami. That makes sense to me. 

I was thinking the same thing. That one article is from Miami and talking about Cuban Sandwiches. Basically a Miami click-bait taking nudges at TPA. 

Tampa is nice, clean, has a couple really nice Thai Temples. Wife like this one and every sunday the local thais sell real deal thai food along with plants and stuff. Right on the river. 

http://wattampainenglish.com/test/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34678-d2620605-Reviews-Wat_Mongkolratanaram_Thai_Temple-Tampa_Florida.html

Tampa (OR St. Pete) is great because its central to everything florida has to offer. I mean just the state parks, mostly free or have an unmanned donation boxes, are awesome. 

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/florida/state-parks-fl/

I dunno I like it. Has an international airport... Housing is still cheapish. 

Florida can be cheap but if your oil job has or is drying up, you could stay here a lot longer than there on your savings. If you have a secure job in oil, maybe you and your family would be better off there as at least you will have SS and medicare when you retire. Make sure you but some of that big money your making away for retirement, Most don't.

7 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Choose the place that makes you smile when you wake up and let money only be a small side issue. You cannot afford to live anywhere that makes you unhappy. 

Well obviously, one has to be able to afford a lifestyle they've chosen. But overall, this is some of the best advice I've seen here in this thread. Make the choice that makes you smile when you wake up every day.

It's pretty sad when I read here and see other posters heaping criticism on the OP.  Everyone's entitled to have their own opinions and make their own choices. You can argue over stated facts, and you can disagree with someone else's opinions. But that's no reason to be personally critical of other posters here just because they decide to stay or go from Thailand.

10 hours ago, Strange said:

Starbucks is an off the hip worst case scenario. In this example, at 16 hours a week, she would be entitled to full benefits. Retirement fund, medical insurance, etc. Now working 16 hours a week she would not be able to contribute much, however, with me working I can contribute to all of these things. Its basically working 16 hours to be entitled to benefits. In my work, I can not get these things due to my employer being foreign. 

Also has the benefit of exposing her to US work life and people and gives her a chance at meeting people. Is it the perfect job? Hell no. Is it a place to start? Of course.  Will she probably make less than Thailand? Probably. What about if she decides she likes working? Where will she be in 10 years? 10 years from now she could have a nice career. What about thailand 10 years from now? Most likely no different or she gets fired because she is getting older. 

Now to be frank, the wife does not have to work. I make enough and will make enough to support us both including kids if they come into the picture. 

I have friends that have wife's from both Philippine and Thailand that work offshore, when they are gone the wife's sit home alone get bored and divorce is soon there. Have seen 4 friends gone this way. They all say it would have been better to stay in Asia first cheaper second the social aspect for the wife's.

7 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

If  you are not a US citizen you can only visit your property in the US with permission from the US govt which can be withdrawn at any time for any reason or for no reason.  So, yes, your "ownership rights" are quite different from those of US citizens.

OMG, after reading this forum for years I thought that it was only Thailand that had laws against foreigner buying property, you learn as long as you live.

11 hours ago, tonray said:

I am pretty sure most Harvard graduates would not be able to pass the Thai written driver's test either.

You were talking about an International School being as good or better than the west correct?

In that case I am telling you it is not with first hand experience.

If you think your kid is going to get a good education at any school in Thailand, you are sorely mistaken.

Probably a good reason the average salary of a Thai graduating from college is 15,000 baht.

Outside of Thailand, a Thai education in any school is worthless.

4 hours ago, alofthailand said:

More hard core criminals go to Europe and the UK where they practise real crime. The crims who come to Thailand don't do much real crime at all. They relax ' party and holiday. 

They come to Thailand to escape the legal system in their home country after committing hard core crime.

9 hours ago, MANFROMBOCA said:

yes,, you can live as cheaply in tampa and most of florida for the same price as here,, the water is swimable,, the air clean,  great healthcare although expensive if you do not qualify for ACA,,,,, great food,,, the only thing it doesnt have is the girls and they also have way too many traffic cops,,, and the weather is much better than california as is teh water,,,,

if you dont access yourself to the ladies here,,, go back it better in florida

I can tell you one thing, after moving to Florida, you would be shocked at all the babes on the beach. They are much sexier and fit than Thai girls. 

51 minutes ago, Missing Troll said:

I have friends that have wife's from both Philippine and Thailand that work offshore, when they are gone the wife's sit home alone get bored and divorce is soon there. Have seen 4 friends gone this way. They all say it would have been better to stay in Asia first cheaper second the social aspect for the wife's.

WISDOM

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've spoken to ex-Pattana and ex-Harrow students who have studied at UK universities and returned to Thailand. 

Their experience is that when they arrived in the UK for their Bachelor Degree 1st Year, they were steps ahead of those educated in the UK. 

IF you wouldn't mind - Which School was it that your son went to ? 

I'd agree that Universities here are worth very little - I've worked with Thai graduates and in comparison with their Asean peers they are found wanting. 

Prem International in Chiang Mai  https://www.ptis.ac.th/

I just think its weird that people that have never been to the states hate the place and the people so much and have all kinds of opinions about americans. Based on what they see on biased web-reports and news outlets. 

I always tell people in real life to go for a vacation and meet the people there. Welcoming and willing to help. 

When I go to the UK its nothing but sour people everywhere and complaining non-stop.