"Free Tour" foreign businessmen a national security issue for Thailand, says immigration chief

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Boatfreak said:

Creating jobs is indeed a real threat to this country, that will classify you as a criminal.

Yes, its crazy.

They really should learn the difference between creating and taking jobs.

Edited by DeeMak9

10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The noose slowly tightens.......

Nearly every country in the World welcomes  business   men who won't  to set up business   ,for sure they   have to have the money for a start up   ,but then its thailand     ,look   Mr   Apple ,thought he would make few phone and computers    ,and given few people a job    ,lucky he went to China   ,and they said welcome    

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Not so sure about that.  Thailand is the #1 country for tour groups like this:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/tourism/2015statistics/outbound.htm

Top 10 Destinations for Tourists Organized by Travel Agencies in Quarter One:

1. Thailand (15%) 2. Hong Kong (13%) 3. South Korea (12%) 4. Japan (11%) 5. Taiwan (8%)
6. Macau (7%) 7. Singapore (4%) 8. Vietnam (3%) 9. Malaysia (3%) 10. Indonesia (2%)

I doubt South Korea, Japan or Taiwan would put up with this.  Not as much corruption there.

Not so long ago I read in Hong Kong's South China Post that the govt there had called on Hong Kongers to be more welcoming to tourists from the Mainland otherwise the authorities would restrict travel to HK and it would affect the economy.

Mainlanders are not exactly popular and are called ' locusts ' for the manner in which they descend and buy up consumer items to take home. At one time baby formula was the top buy until the HK govt restricted per person purchases.

Of course there's the other aspect of the unacceptable personal behaviour of many.

2 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Foreign investments are most welcome in Thailand and encouraged, as long as these are done LEGALLY. This is the way it's done in most countries including Thailand!

Thank you but the story does not refer specifically to illegal investments.

Nationalism - an extreme form of this, especially marked by a feeling of superiority over other countries.

This is what this is. We don't need you, la, la, la, bs. Pick on the small people first with their small businesses, market stall, restaurant, bar and then the bigger businesses. All in the name of nationalism. Which is happening across the globe at the moment.

It's check your paperwork and keep your head down time again. Just remember, whatever they do to expats over here will be, some day be replicated in your home country on making life difficult for Thai's living abroad.

Edited by Wilsonandson

9 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Much of what is now classed as tradition in Thailand can be traced to the United States in the decade after the Second World War. Thailand went through a sea change as the power of the central government spread to every corner of the kingdom through one-nation policies. Many of these policies were heavily influenced either by Thais copying America or through American advisors. America has moved on but Thailand remains more resistent to change.

Clearly you have not noticed that over the past decade or so that the formerly de rigueur beehive hairdos have finally been replaced amongst the hi-so Sino-Thai ladies in Bangkok. And to be honest, the powers of the central government were spread during the end of the last century and met resistance, especially up north in semi-independent muangs like Nan and Phrae, such as the Song Rebellion.

Chinese dominate so much in Asia; i can understand the Thais being worried. Also Chinese can be quite cunning in business too; bend and circumvent the rules. So for small fry business in Thailand, everything is stacked against you, so dont waste your time and loose your money.

17 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Err, There's been reports  of a similiar tactic on these boards....

Getting Thai/farang married couples to

sign documents saying foreign money wasnt used to  buy houses/land which they cant own.

Funny thing though, they will keep doing it. Not just lining up like lambs to the slaughter, but  actually even finding ways of skirting around the law to do it.

Then cry that a conniving Thai woman scammed them lol

I dont think the authorities need to worry about this one.

If you are stupid enough to think you can make money in Thailand, you deserve to get fleeced...consider your losses as idiot tax.

Thailand has natural ways of culling any profit making business

involving foreigners.

There are countless ways of doing it 

and it is administered and seen to by wives, business partners, competitors and people in the "protection" business.

Seems these authorities have no faith in the capabilities of their own people.

Edited by bamukloy
apology to Briggsy, was meant to qoute the previous poster but was messed up and unable to remove

10 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Not so long ago I read in Hong Kong's South China Post that the govt there had called on Hong Kongers to be more welcoming to tourists from the Mainland otherwise the authorities would restrict travel to HK and it would affect the economy.

Mainlanders are not exactly popular and are called ' locusts ' for the manner in which they descend and buy up consumer items to take home. At one time baby formula was the top buy until the HK govt restricted per person purchases.

Of course there's the other aspect of the unacceptable personal behaviour of many.

The SCP was recently purchased by the owner of Alibaba.  A mainlander.  There are discussions about their move towards being more friendly towards Beijing.

More good intentions that will run amuck and create all the more graft and corruption while they will crack down on the little guys that are easy to apprehend while the big players will simply pay a fine ( you know.."the fine" ) while police actions will do next to nothing to stop the issue.

It would help if they change the laws relevant to setting up a company as everyone knows just how much effort is involved with all the rules and regulations and costs etc. that put people off from forming a company along with the work permits and Visa extensions etc etc....

Cheers

19 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Just down from my house, the Chinese have bought a big piece of property.  They're going to build a hotel for Chinese tour groups only.  It's all part of the game.  Bring these tourists in for next to nothing, have optional activities that are expensive and run by Chinese, take them to restaurants run by Chinese and to souvenir shops run by Chinese.  Great way to make money if you can put it all together.

I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok that had just been purchased by a Chinese group.  It is now serving primarily Chinese tour groups.  The front desk barely spoke English.  Terrible place to stay.  Sadly, we got there just a week or two after the change.  The Trip Advisor page has been updated to reflect this.

I stayed in one of those hotels run by the Russians during their heydays here, and everything in the room was bolted so nothing could be stolen, even the furniture.

1 minute ago, AlQaholic said:

I stayed in one of those hotels run by the Russians during their heydays here, and everything in the room was bolted so nothing could be stolen, even the furniture.

We couldn't even go to breakfast until the masses had left.  And what a mess they left.  The hotel had a cleaning crew of 3.  It was like a bomb had gone off.

18 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

My wife entered Australia as a tourist, set up a partnership (with me) while she was on a Bridging Visa, and then a Pty Ltd Company (as corporate trustee for a family trust) with her as the sole director. She's been legal every step of the way, even registering for GST when legally required, and is employing up to 5 staff and paying all required taxes. She has never, ever, been questioned by the authorities, and is certainly not considered a threat to national security.

You have pointed out that your wife " was legal every step of the way and...). Here is then difference. If one enters a country as a tourist and then ILLEGALLY starts doing business, (legal one or otherwise) in that country without changing his/her status as a tourist, he/she will be acting against the laws of the said countries. I am sure the same applies in Australia.

6 hours ago, nontabury said:

It has and is being done in the UK.

If people are caught doing this in the UK, they are punished and deported. The Thai Immigration Laws are far more liberal than the UK ones. I am not referring to ownership regulations by foreigners in the UK versus Thailand. Here the UK laws are much more liberal.

19 hours ago, DeeMak9 said:

Which means that as a foreigner married to a Thai and/or with family, (in most cases) you can forget about legally setting up SME here to support yourself. The laws are the problem.

Not quite. There are legal ways for doing this. There are conditions that must be complied with, but it's doable, legally.

20 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

If people are caught doing this in the UK, they are punished and deported. The Thai Immigration Laws are far more liberal than the UK ones. I am not referring to ownership regulations by foreigners in the UK versus Thailand. Here the UK laws are much more liberal.

Plenty are doing just that in the UK,from teamsters,running gangs in the fens, to people who also continue to re-enter as tourist, and then undertake small time Tarmac jobs. Nobody seems to bother,perhaps boarder control are otherwise too busy. Compare this with Thailand where many foregners do work under the radar. Some of course like many Burmese ( or their Thai employers )then hand over little brown envelops to immigration.

On 9/13/2016 at 5:28 PM, greenchair said:

Well they better raid half the law offices in Bangkok then. They have all been setting these companies up for a fee for years and years. 

That is the true crime. They should never have been set up by the lawyers and the of office of business. They both knew damn well what the truth of these companies are. 

hi, i have just suffered from this and paid 400000bahts fine in court on 30 august 2016, so just want you to be careful about this foreign companies