Mother and son ordered jailed as evidence is gathered in "zero dollar" travel case

webfact

Mother and son ordered jailed as evidence is gathered in "zero dollar" travel case

a4.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The central criminal court has ordered that a mother and son should be held for twelve days while evidence is gathered in a so called "zero dollar" travel company case.

The term "zero dollar" or "free tour" refers to trips offered to principally Chinese tourists in which they are charged just for the flight to Thailand, reported Daily News

They are then ripped off when they are here being overcharged for various services. Such tours are considered illegal and damaging to the country's tourism industry.

Nisa Rotrungrangsi, 61, and her son Wasurat, 26, were ordered held from September 13 to 24 as police interview some 40 witnesses and investigate money laundering charges.

The central criminal court in Rachadapisek, Bangkok, refused bail on the ground of the seriousness of the crime. The court judgment cited the considerable damage done to the economy and the very stability of the country.

Nisa is the president of the OA Transport Company and her son is a senior employee.

Police are looking into the movement of money between OA Transport and another company that is facing criminal charges namely Fu An Travel.

Police say there is evidence that 98 million baht in illegally acquired funds was transferred between the two companies.

Both mother and son were arrested on warrants issued by the court earlier. Last month a Chinese man who had assumed the identity of a Thai national to run a "zero dollar" company was arrested in Rama 9 in Bangkok and the premises were raided.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-14

But if farang get overcharged it's okay? Even at the national parks they have to pay a 10-foulded price!

I thought "zero dollar" tours were ALL-inclusive tours so they only pay once and really everything is included....Just like the holidays to resorts in Venezuela or Turkye, even the flight/food/drinks/excursions are included for those trips.

For once, I actually agree to a large extent with the authorities on this issue. These people in the nick currently have amassed billions of baht according to the Bangkok Post. Sure they have provided "tours" of some kind, but from the reports available they have conducted a very mafia-esque operation, and infringed upon the businesses of regular tourism operators who despite what TAT might say will really be struggling to really make decent money by tourism in the current economic climate

The government don't really care about the zero dollar idea, what they don't like

is that that all revenues are not reported and tax not paid on profits and major

chucks of it leave Thailand shores overseas illegally, which is fair enough,

leave to Thai enterprisers to not want to pay even a token taxes, see Thaksin

sale of his shares, and by that incur the wreath of big brother and the people

of This country who pays their fair shares in taxes.....

25 minutes ago, z42 said:

For once, I actually agree to a large extent with the authorities on this issue. These people in the nick currently have amassed billions of baht according to the Bangkok Post. Sure they have provided "tours" of some kind, but from the reports available they have conducted a very mafia-esque operation, and infringed upon the businesses of regular tourism operators who despite what TAT might say will really be struggling to really make decent money by tourism in the current economic climate

First, just what is "illegal" about these "zero dollar/baht"( wish they'd make up their minds dollar or baht) secondly, if the companies are legal what is wrong with competing with Thai companies.... oh wait Thais hate any competition.

Edited by Rorri

3 hours ago, Thian said:

But if farang get overcharged it's okay? Even at the national parks they have to pay a 10-foulded price!

I thought "zero dollar" tours were ALL-inclusive tours so they only pay once and really everything is included....Just like the holidays to resorts in Venezuela or Turkye, even the flight/food/drinks/excursions are included for those trips.

Normally, flight and hotel are included. Then the tour operator makes deals with restaurants and tourists attractions.

How is this different; then when the Thai's rip off tourists at the Gem shops, taxi's, fake watches ?

1 minute ago, bark said:

Normally, flight and hotel are included. Then the tour operator makes deals with restaurants and tourists attractions.

How is this different; then when the Thai's rip off tourists at the Gem shops, taxi's, fake watches ?

First those tours are not "zero dollar" at all because they have to pay for the tours/restaurants....The fact they will only bring them to places with extorted prices is scamming because they will be overcharged after eating there.

This is nothing new though, 20 years ago i took the bus from BKK to Phi Phi and the roadrestaurants we stopped at for a break did exactly the same. 

The gemshops sell fake gems, that's different because the customer will endup with a fake and worthless gem.

The taxi's overcharge but still deliver the real product when reached the destination. That's also a scam but customers should be aware of it when the metre is not used. If they make an agreement about a fixed price it's their own fault although the taxidriver is working outside of the law.

The goldshops overcharge and at the same time deliver a lower carat of gold which is scamming plus overcharging.

Fake watches which should cost like 5000us$ being sold for 50us$ is not really scamming in my book since it's impossible to sell them for such a low price. Customers know that but still are keen to buy.  Yes they are fake watches but as long as the price is a fraction of the real price it's not scamming in my book. Who will buy a real Rolex on the street/beach of Pattaya? 

While i did a grouptour to Indonesia many years ago the tourguide always ate for free in the restaurants he brought us to. After eating they also gave him 10% cash in hand of the total bill. The prices on the menu were the real prices though, without a tourguide we would have paid the same price for the food. So i don't see that as scamming.

On the market in Bali they had a different system. Their pricetags were printed on both sides..When a bus of japanese tourists arrived all the vendors just turned the pricetags and asked inflated prices. When the japanese groups were gone they flipped the pricetags again and asked the real price...that's also overcharging and maybe even scamming.

If you go to any big departmentstore in BKK where they sell electric equipment like fridges/aircons you can just go to the salesguy and ask him: lod dai mai krab? (can i get discount?)...he will flip the pricecard and there's another price which is 5-10% lower...try it! Or just flip the card yourself and look what's written there.

Come on guys, a scam is a scam regardless of who is the victim. Pointless saying things like Thais getting their own back when innocent people are being ripped off. I have no love for Chinese tour groups (run, Dexie, run! :) ), but they still have a right to be treated properly like everyone else. For sure, there is an ulterior motive to these arrests, so the real question is whether things will be improved for these people. 

I've pointed out before all of the "instant" tourist attractions popping up around the greater Pattaya area - instant, genuine floating market, just add water - to cater exclusively to the Chinese tour groups. Man, it's sad.

Much the same in the United States. We took an expensive tour from Los Angeles to go to Mexico and visit SeaWorld in San Diego I was particularly interested in the latter. However much to our frustration the tour guide took us to numerous shops trying to get us to buy fake and overpriced goods. We complained to the guide that we wanted to see SeaWorld but we only got a rude response. We finally got to SeaWorld  so late we only had half an hour instead of an expected half a day. I related this to my American friends and they told me it was a very common  practice and difficult to stop

In that other major newspaper which cannot be quoted, it was mentioned that among the assets seized were 2,000 buses.  If those are the legendary OA Transport buses, traffic on Highway 7 to Pattaya should be significantly lighter and the streets of Pattaya noticeably less clogged.

My gf runs money ex near Ambasador big hotel, all russians there come for All inclusive vacations, food paid drinks paid some tours, many of them comes with no money or little like 100 usd for 2 weeks stay.

Chinese groups never change any money, you see all this chinese groups around following guy with flag but they not change any moneys at all, the tour nkt allows them they tour guy change for them, they not allowed to shop in 7/11.

And they are told if they go change money themself they wil get fakes

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, PattayaBoy said:

My gf runs money ex near Ambasador big hotel, all russians there come for All inclusive vacations, food paid drinks paid some tours, many of them comes with no money or little like 100 usd for 2 weeks stay.

Chinese groups never change any money, you see all this chinese groups around following guy with flag but they not change any moneys at all, the tour nkt allows them they tour guy change for them, they not allowed to shop in 7/11.

And they are told if they go change money themself they wil get fakes

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's common on those type of package tours. You pay for everything in advance, your flights, transfers, coaches, hotels, meals etc. You have no discretion in that you follow their program, where they take you, where you eat  and what you see etc. All you need is some spending money. The Chinese companies take them to King Power store in BKK to stock up even before they go to the airport - so convenient!

The issue is that the bulk of the payment and profit stays outside of Thailand and that is what pissing the government and Thai companies off. Some companies are Thai companies but seemingly just fronted by Thais to try and circumvent the laws on foreign business ownership and operation.

Of course, they don't want people changing money, buying things independently or finding out the real costs and e/r's. That would spoil the mark ups and kick backs.

I guess people using them still feel they get a good deal. They know what it will cost and pay up-front. But value for money.............

It is the street level businesses which cater to the walk by tourists who are losing out as the Chinese generally do not get anywhere near them. Only very few are reaping huge profits & they are the owners of the gem, latex type emporiums, tour boats & restaurants who likely have to pay big commissions to welcome the tour groups but their prices are well marked up.

5 hours ago, gamini said:

Much the same in the United States. We took an expensive tour from Los Angeles to go to Mexico and visit SeaWorld in San Diego I was particularly interested in the latter. However much to our frustration the tour guide took us to numerous shops trying to get us to buy fake and overpriced goods. We complained to the guide that we wanted to see SeaWorld but we only got a rude response. We finally got to SeaWorld  so late we only had half an hour instead of an expected half a day. I related this to my American friends and they told me it was a very common  practice and difficult to stop

Most visitors fly into LAX, rent a car and then drive to TJ *, LV & the Grand Canyon.  It's a "circuit" and is as easy as getting out of bed.

* = Actually most people don't go to TJ anymore due to Cartel violence, or perceptions therein.

Edited by SiSePuede419
Additional info.