MFA Certified Translation

Hi All!

This year my wife and I require a Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand 'certified' translation of our Canadian marriage license for our annual visa extensions in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

Has anyone been through this process? Can it be done by registered post or must we attend the Ministry in BKK?

Numerous calls to the MFA and being transferred to a variety of people has left us bewildered and without an answer. Our Thai is limited, as is the English of the people we have spoken to at the Ministry.

We have a translation of the document done by a very good translator in Nakhon Si Thammarat and our preference would be to mail it to the Ministry and have the certified document mailed back.

Any thoughts appreciated. Also happy to have a contact (phone or email) at the MFA who we could communicate with in English.

Thanks TV experts!!

First of all, the original marriage certificate has to be notarized/certified by canadian embassy in Bangkok. Then a reputed translation service should be able to translate it and certify the translaton and the original marriage certificate from MFA at a reasonable fee. Since you are not based in Bangkok, the fee to do the authorization from MFA in Bangkok must be pretty higher than those based in Bangkok. Try talking to your translation service provider about it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

The translator service should be able to make the certification for you for a fee.

Unfortunately our translator is unfamiliar with the certification process... we did ask!

Any suggestion of another translator/translation service who is familiar with the process would be appreciated!

Since your marriage certificate is in English it should not have to be translated.

Is the translator a registered translator? If not the MFA may not accept it.

Is this the number you have been calling.

Legalization Division
Tel : 0-2575-1057 Email : [email protected]
This from the consular affairs department website.

123 Rd., Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210.

Phone 02-575-1058-60 Fax 02-575-1054

Also found this on website in Thai here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1303/24762-Procedure-of-Document-Authentication-by-Mail.html

Google translate of info.

Notary (Legalization Service): Procedure of Document Authentication by Mail.

1. Fill out a legalization Application form (download here).
2. If apply for person Other, Power of Attorney is required. 
3. Copy of Thai identification card / Document Holder of Passport 
4. Power of Attorney with if apply, please provide a Copy of Thai identification card / Passport of both Parties.  
5. Original Document (s) + 1 Copy 
6. Certified translation by the Translator 
7. Processing Fee (Baht 400 / Document) and Express mail returned Postage Fee (60 Baht) in form of Money Order payable to Mr. Adulsak Chobchuaychart 
8. Please mail all items required to Mr. Adulsak Chobchuaychart, legalization Division, Consular Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 123 Changwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 
9. For more information, please Contact Tel. 02-575-1058-9, Fax 02-575-1054 Tel. 1111 or Tel. 02-981-7171 ext. 33218 
Telephone Number 10. Applications 
11. If represent a Company, Certified letter from the Company is required. 
12. Email:  
[email protected]

Application form: Application for legalization.doc  or PDF Application for legalization.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe. The Canadian Marriage Certificate is in English. This is the first year we have been asked for a translation. They are quite insistent. My extension went through no problems but my wife got the 30 day until we provide the certified trans. We will contact the Legalisation Department. Didn't see that section on the MFA website (but if all in Thai I may have skimmed past it...).

34 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Thanks ubonjoe. The Canadian Marriage Certificate is in English. This is the first year we have been asked for a translation. They are quite insistent. My extension went through no problems but my wife got the 30 day until we provide the certified trans. We will contact the Legalisation Department. Didn't see that section on the MFA website (but if all in Thai I may have skimmed past it...).

It is normal immigration policy to accept documents in English.

I found it on the consular affairs department website which almost entirely in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/home

There is nothing on the MFA website but a phone number and email address.

I had a need to get my Thai wedding cert translated to english with strict requirement that it be notarized and legalized (apostile). Went to the MFA building on Chaeng Wattana, found the translation booth on 2d floor next to the Thai police in middle of the floor. Very helpful woman there knew exactly what to do, did the translation and legalization, mailed it to me by EMS, had in hand 3 days later. All in cost was 900 baht. 

• Like 1