Pillion question

SidJames

I do nearly all my travels two up. Rule 1. MrsB is always better protected than I,  my concentration is always 100% and I take no chances AT ALL.

I think attitude is the important issue here rather than age, if I carry a kid on the back my maximum speed is a little over walking pace.

Carrying babies/toddlers and dogs is out, for different reasons.

Despite likely been called reckless, we been carrying our son around on the scooter since he was about 3 years old and he could wear a helmet and we never once been stopped by the police, never. 

Now he is 6 years old and he still sits in front of me on the PCX and wife behind me. Needless to say he always wears a good helmet like his parents does.

We only do this set-up downtown Pattaya where the speed is quite low, out on the highways we take the truck. I am very careful and don't take the chances I do when riding alone.

In Pattaya it's often almost impossible to get around in the truck and parking in the weekends is a nightmare from hell, that's why we take the scooter.

During the 3 years, I noticed that cars/truck stops/give me space when they see my son sitting in front of me.

He has reached a height where he soon can't sit in front of me anymore as I can't see over his head/helmet, when that happens, we will take 2 scooters downtown in the weekends.

When he goes to/from school, we always take the truck, always, we have to cross the dreaded Sukhumvit road where bikes/cars/trucks/buses/mini vans goes like they are on a race circuit and it's too risky and seen many accidents over the last 3 years and to no surprise, the scooter riders are always worst off, I am sure some ended up dead, not nice to watch.

The "child" must have a correctly fitting helmet and be able to support / hold on by themselves with their feet on the footrests.

That is the situation in my home country but I'm am unsure if that is written in Thai law.
Please provide a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dilligad , i dont have a link. I dont know if this is written in law , just advisable. Are you saying even if it was law , everyone would obey it ?  555.   guzzi , riding carefully / sober , i get where your coming from. Can be fully "legal" , but reckless.

Dilligad , i dont have a link. I dont know if this is written in law , just advisable. Are you saying even if it was law , everyone would obey it ?  555.   guzzi , riding carefully / sober , i get where your coming from. Can be fully "legal" , but reckless.

Agree with you whole heartedly that it's advisable but OP was asking about what's legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My deciding factor, not law, is when my child can wear full protective gear that you can find available locally. At 7-8 my son fit ladies small protective riding armor, not just helmets and gloves. ATGATT. Not certain if it's the same as over 10 years ago, but in ladies small protective jacks and pants available in Thailand there was a good selection of mesh gear that will be quite comfortable for a youngster.