Bank still using Windows XP!!

stupidfarang

I saw today a bank using Windows XP still. Did they not hear about windows 10 and being able to download for free?

My thoughts mainly were of security as Microsoft I think is no longer updating XP and it also made me think about overall computer security in  the banks. Makes me wonder how safe our money is in the banks 

Windows 10 is not free upgrade from XP. It's only free for Windows 7 and 8.x.

If a Windows XP is not connected to internet, then it's not that dangerous, but probably their computer will have internet and let the stuff play with all the infected webpages.

Updating won't always make the system more secure + security doesn't solely depend on the system type + there are other ways to boost the security. They will be responsible for ur loss anyway. Windows 10 not good as it's new with a lot of issues that can affect not just the security but also the functionality  (kind of why system requires update lol)

newest=uncertainty 

Edited by Kailung

5 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Windows 10 is not free upgrade from XP. It's only free for Windows 7 and 8.x.

If a Windows XP is not connected to internet, then it's not that dangerous, but probably their computer will have internet and let the stuff play with all the infected webpages.

yes you are right, had forgotten, XP was great in it day. 

Maybe those bank PCs are just terminals/front end for SW that runs on mainframe computers/back-office systems.

Very unlikely that they are directly connected to the internet or directly process financial data/database.

Yes, I would be very concerned if the banks mainframe computers run any Windows :P

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, Kailung said:

Updating won't always make the system more secure + security doesn't solely depend on the system type + there are other ways to boost the security. They will be responsible for ur loss anyway. Windows 10 not good as it's new with a lot of issues that can affect not just the security but also the functionality  (kind of why system requires update lol)

Agree about updating and security that is why I do not rely on Microsoft security and use a paid for package from a reputable International security company.. I have upgraded my computers to windows 10 and find it a good programme to use. I did switch off a few of the options as Microsoft wanted to much info.

Most of these bank PCs connect only to a terminal emulator which most likely hasn't updated since the late '90s and won't run on anything recent.

Doesn't matter 'cause the terminal emulator itself connects to an outdated AS/400 or similar, that hasn't been updated since the early '80s

Login security is username and password on a post-it note.

But it's (or at least we all hope at this point) all intranet.

1 minute ago, stupidfarang said:

I do know one Thai company with offices all over Thailand and they are still on windows 7. 

If a hacker planned well and is familiar with a company's system they can still perform the hacking despite the high level of security. 

NASA got hacked :(

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Maybe those bank PCs are just terminals/front end for SW that runs on mainframe computers/back-office systems.

Very unlikely that they are directly connected to the internet or directly process financial data/database.

Yes, I would be very concerned if the banks mainframe computers run any Windows :P

Not sure what they are doing, just saw the one terminal screen, I have seen a few bank tellers screens and they appear to be in black and white, maybe it is the software but why not colour? Last time I worked with a Black and White screen and text was over 20 years ago on a Mac

7 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

I have such a strange feeling that ATM's are connected to the internet.

I highly doubt that. It would not make any sense. 

1 minute ago, stupidfarang said:

Not sure what they are doing, just saw the one terminal screen, I have seen a few bank tellers screens and they appear to be in black and white, maybe it is the software but why not colour? Last time I worked with a Black and White screen and text was over 20 years ago on a Mac

Until recently the "black and white" screen was a normal sight at Bangkok Bank.

The software is age old, BUT you can believe that it is stable/reliable.

And for a bank this is no. 1 priority.

Seems they now have changed to some more fancy/colorful user interface.

I always used command line software for "real" jobs often much more productive than mouse shoving.

1 minute ago, Anthony5 said:

Then how would a Kasikorn Bank ATM know if your Bangkok Bank ATM card has a balance?

They use leased lines, private APN's, forced VPN connections to the Bank's intranet. 

I you need more reason for concern, google for Windows XP at the US Navy.

Used in mission critical SW, likely connected to secret databases :D

One of a couple of reports:

http://fortune.com/2015/06/24/navy-microsoft-windows-xp/

My pension office still uses 40'000 XP computers at the desks :P

Edited by KhunBENQ

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2488842/financial-it/most-atms-will-remain-on-windows-xp-after-microsoft-pulls-plug-on-os-support.html

It's usually a tailored XP embedded version.

I remember a German post stamp vending machine crashing with an XP blue screen.

On public displays you might still find Win 9x crash screens.

Lately there was a report about a huge such crash screen at Central Pattaya.

It's completely naive to think that machine vendors can follow the hasty update cycles of Microsoft. Tremendous effort for development/adaption and testing would be needed which no one will pay for.

Edited by KhunBENQ

43 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

tell me how you know, please. and don't talk about your time just after the fall of saigon...;)

Will this do it for you SIR? And you see, no reason to report my posts, only because you can't win.:thumbsup:

http://www.geckoandfly.com/265/atm-machine-on-windows-xp/

ATM Machine Runs on Microsoft Windows XP

Updated: June 14, 2016

Most bank including Citibank, HSBC and more nowadays uses Diebold ATM machines and they uses Microsoft Windows XP to run it

2 hours ago, Kailung said:

Updating won't always make the system more secure + security doesn't solely depend on the system type + there are other ways to boost the security. They will be responsible for ur loss anyway.

I'd like to think they'd be responsible for the loss.  But I certainly wouldn't count on it here in Thailand.  Nor would I like to think about the difficulty, frustration and time wasted in holding them to it.

22 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

atm's using win xp? they 'all' run linux or a derivative...

anyone seriously concerned about computer security would not even consider microsoft...

22 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

I have seen many ATM's run XP

22 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

tell me how you know, please. and don't talk about your time just after the fall of saigon...;)

About a month ago, I was at an ATM on Jomtien Second Road near the Fabrik restaurant, and it was stuck in a boot loop -- a Windows boot loop.  Can't remember the which bank's ATM it was off the top of my head.

Never heard of an ATM running Linux but maybe some do; the great, great, great majority run Windows and many, many still run XP.  Heck, just last month I saw an ATM which was inop/offline and the screen was showing the words Win XP and logo in the lower corner....and around 6 months ago I saw a refill crew come in, open the back of an ATM and on a small control monitor it said Win XP on it.  

But just because Microsoft dropped support of XP for home/retails users a copy of years ago, for businesses such as banks with ATMs still running XP which is what they call embedded XP Microsoft still provided support for a couple more years...until early/mid 2016 if you contracted (i.e., paid) for the continued support.   Additionally, links between ATM and the bank's network is private/encysted connections which provide banks further control and security for the ATMs.   

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifewinembed

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/08/xp_embedded_atm_security_cutoff_panic/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-03/six-things-you-need-to-know-about-atms-and-the-windows-xp-ocalypse.html