Non-B 1 year extension, Lawyer wants 29,000THB

What are you paying for 1 year non-b extension in Bangkok? Our legal/accounting firm just quoted for visa extensions for my wife and I. We are co-directors of our own company so they are really doing the same paper work for two people and the quote was 58,000THB. This will be our third extension, every year the cost goes up. Just wondering what others are paying and if they are using Lawyers, accountants, agents? The actual government fees quoted are only 6,800THB for both extensions. Any suggestions for alternatives would be much appreciated. I realize different immigration offices have different requirements and or tea money, so try to keep responses to non-b extensions relevant to Chaengwattana office, thanks.

The logical alternative is you and wife - it is not rocket science and most people indeed are able to do themselves.  The extension cost is only the TM.7 fee of 1,900 baht each but maybe you are including work permit and re-entry permit?

But if this is your accounting firm you might need to make a change; as you will need paperwork, if can not handle with a smile.

Depends very much on the services the law firm provides for you. 

If you are sure that you have ALL what you need without involving the law firm, than it's a piece of cake to do it yourself, as long as you have one who can read and speak Thai

Do they give you an invoice detailing all the charges. If not, you should ask for one this time and query any charges that appear unreasonable or that you do not understand. You could also let the lawyers know that you will be looking to 'outsource' this service next or to otherwise get some competitive quotes. After all, you are running a business and should be always looking to challenge or cut bloated costings. I would have thought that 18,000 Baht for two (inclusive of government fees) would be a more competitive quote.

I if you live in Bangkok go to Chaeng Walthana Soi 7, Immigration Office, the office opens at 08:30am the line starts forming in front of the door at 07:30am, you don’t wait there just put a book or something in the spot you were standing.  When you get in go to the right toward the counter and someone will give you a form to fill out, I usually go a week before to get at least 5 copy of that form then I can go straight thru the double doors and get a number.  I have a retirement Visa so I have to go every 3 Months I pay 1,900 THB and that it, unless you have some kind of a problem you may have to go to an outside source that can take of your  problem for a big fee but if there no problems stop getting rip off and DO IT YOURSELF!!!     

will the information you offered  be the same for the op 

1 year non-b extension in Bangkok? Our legal/accounting firm just quoted for visa extensions for my wife and I. We are co-directors of our own company so they are really doing the 

26 minutes ago, Anthony Wilson said:

I if you live in Bangkok go to Chaeng Walthana Soi 7, Immigration Office, the office opens at 08:30am the line starts forming in front of the door at 07:30am, you don’t wait there just put a book or something in the spot you were standing.  When you get in go to the right toward the counter and someone will give you a form to fill out, I usually go a week before to get at least 5 copy of that form then I can go straight thru the double doors and get a number.  I have a retirement Visa so I have to go every 3 Months I pay 1,900 THB and that it, unless you have some kind of a problem you may have to go to an outside source that can take of your  problem for a big fee but if there no problems stop getting rip off and DO IT YOURSELF!!!     

Why do you go every 3 months for retirement visa. I thought it was every 12.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The logical alternative is you and wife - it is not rocket science and most people indeed are able to do themselves.  The extension cost is only the TM.7 fee of 1,900 baht each but maybe you are including work permit and re-entry permit?

But if this is your accounting firm you might need to make a change; as you will need paperwork, if can not handle with a smile.

Thanks for the reply.

1. This is just for the extension, work permit was last month.

2. Again I will state that I am looking for people applying for 1 year non-b extension at Chaeng  Wattana. What you can do in the sticks does not fly at the main office in Bangkok. Last year our law office told us that we would need to make more than one trip to immigration. They are asking for a lot more than what is officially needed. 

38 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Do they give you an invoice detailing all the charges. If not, you should ask for one this time and query any charges that appear unreasonable or that you do not understand. You could also let the lawyers know that you will be looking to 'outsource' this service next or to otherwise get some competitive quotes. After all, you are running a business and should be always looking to challenge or cut bloated costings. I would have thought that 18,000 Baht for two (inclusive of government fees) would be a more competitive quote.

Yes, we get a detailed invoice(not including tea money).

That's really what i'm asking here. What are others paying in Bangkok? I would like to shop this around but it would help to know what other firms are charging.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually Chiang Watanna is best known for following the rules rather than requiring extras that are common upcountry so not sure of your para 2 comment above - unless your accountents are making up stories to justify increase in fees each year.  

I have wondered whether they were just making up stories. Last year it was because of the bombings at the Earwan Shrine. They said immigration was scrutinizing all application and asking for additional paperwork. The type and amount of additional paperwork was case by case, so no advance preparation, hence the extra trips back to immigration.

5 minutes ago, Phuketboy said:

I pay 25000 baht per year for the lawyer to get all paperwork together for my Non-B extension including all company paperwork in order etc.  Then it's 6000 per year for the work permit.  Can't have one without the other.  

Wow, what a rip off

5 minutes ago, Phuketboy said:

I pay 25000 baht per year for the lawyer to get all paperwork together for my Non-B extension including all company paperwork in order etc.  Then it's 6000 per year for the work permit.  Can't have one without the other.  

Is this in Bangkok or Phuket? 

2 hours ago, geminiman said:

I have wondered whether they were just making up stories. Last year it was because of the bombings at the Earwan Shrine. They said immigration was scrutinizing all application and asking for additional paperwork. The type and amount of additional paperwork was case by case, so no advance preparation, hence the extra trips back to immigration.

It sounds to me like they're being crafty and threading some stories together to make it seem like it's this huge deal to justify the outrageous rates just to get an extension, which costs only 1,900 THB. A lot of what you said in previous posts supports this -- it sounds like you're really in the dark about how all of this really works. From my experience, it's pretty straightforward: you fill out a bunch of forms and at times you have to track down some info and come back, but I don't see why you need someone to do all of that for you, at least not someone charging such huge amounts of cash. I have a Non-Imm M and have extended it myself three years running at the One Stop Center for Visas and Work Permits next to Sam Yan MRT Station in Bangkok. It's very predictable -- they've never asked for any extra paperwork or "tea money." I realize that Non-Imm B extensions are a little different but the form is the same; it's all in English and it's not rocket science. The tax info is the one thing that could be a pain, but if you can't ask your accountant for that info without paying 50,000 THB, then you might need to find a new accountant. Of course, I don't know the specifics of your situation but that amount of money sounds very fishy for an extension unless you're not legally eligable for one and the law firm is using their infuence to somehow bend the rules.

If you and you wife own a company then you have Thai employees. We never used an outside firm. We had our full time accountant take care of everything. First time when I asked her to do this she said she didnt know how. I had her call immigration to find out what was needed. They faxes us the list and she pulled everything together. She was not happy the first year but after that it was a breeze. This was at Chang wattana. No tea money needed, just paid the fee and submitted the required documents. OP best to do it yourself.  I had heard guys that use a small time agent and have issues with delays, lost passport etc. 

2 hours ago, dluek said:

It sounds to me like they're being crafty and threading some stories together to make it seem like it's this huge deal to justify the outrageous rates just to get an extension, which costs only 1,900 THB. A lot of what you said in previous posts supports this -- it sounds like you're really in the dark about how all of this really works. From my experience, it's pretty straightforward: you fill out a bunch of forms and at times you have to track down some info and come back, but I don't see why you need someone to do all of that for you, at least not someone charging such huge amounts of cash. I have a Non-Imm M and have extended it myself three years running at the One Stop Center for Visas and Work Permits next to Sam Yan MRT Station in Bangkok. It's very predictable -- they've never asked for any extra paperwork or "tea money." I realize that Non-Imm B extensions are a little different but the form is the same; it's all in English and it's not rocket science. The tax info is the one thing that could be a pain, but if you can't ask your accountant for that info without paying 50,000 THB, then you might need to find a new accountant. Of course, I don't know the specifics of your situation but that amount of money sounds very fishy for an extension unless you're not legally eligable for one and the law firm is using their infuence to somehow bend the rules.

Sorry, but I think it is you that's a little in the dark. An extension for a non-imm B when you are the director of the company is nothing like a non-imm M. The form maybe the same but it's the 6 inches of paper work below it that's different. This can not be done at the One Stop Center at Chamchuri Square. Our business is totally legit. Tea money may or may not be part of the fee. For last years work permits we were told it was. We pressed our lawyer/accounts as to why the big increase in fee's and the answer was, new signing office at the labor department. Maybe a scam by the lawyer but I have not mentioned the law firm because it would undoubtedly get me banned from Thai Visa for speaking negatively about one of their major advertisers.

22 minutes ago, ericthai said:

If you and you wife own a company then you have Thai employees. We never used an outside firm. We had our full time accountant take care of everything. First time when I asked her to do this she said she didnt know how. I had her call immigration to find out what was needed. They faxes us the list and she pulled everything together. She was not happy the first year but after that it was a breeze. This was at Chang wattana. No tea money needed, just paid the fee and submitted the required documents. OP best to do it yourself.  I had heard guys that use a small time agent and have issues with delays, lost passport etc. 

Thanks for the reply.  We are to small to have a full time accountant. Maybe next year. Until then we maybe stuck with what we have. 

11 hours ago, Anthony Wilson said:

No they change it I found out the hard way luckily they gave me a break and didn't charge me 500 baht a day for 6 Months I only pay 1,900 baht. 

Nothing has changed! You have to do a 90 day report every 90 days as you are on an extension of stay based on being over 50. Missing or being late for that report does NOT put you onto overstay.

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

Thanks for the reply.  We are to small to have a full time accountant. Maybe next year. Until then we maybe stuck with what we have. 

6 minutes ago, mallyrd said:

I have been doing my own for the last 10 years (or I should say my wife has).  We have a limited company and our accountant prepares all of the necessary paperwork and my wife then takes over.  Never had a problem.

I suggested Mia Noi accountant maybe the solution. Didn't go down to well with the current wife.

13 hours ago, geminiman said:

Yes, we get a detailed invoice(not including tea money).

That line just doesn't make sense if your company is legit.

You are paying a company (over-inflated prices IMO) for a service, and then expect to pay tea money on top of that? Again, IMO, if the legal company has to pay tea money for such a routine job, it is time to change support companies.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

That line just doesn't make sense if your company is legit.

You are paying a company (over-inflated prices IMO) for a service, and then expect to pay tea money on top of that? Again, IMO, if the legal company has to pay tea money for such a routine job, it is time to change support companies.

Tea money was never listed in the invoice or asked for on the side, we have wondered whether it was built in to the professional fees. We don't know if we pay tea money for the visa extension but we did ask about the big increase in work permit and when pressed they said the increase was tea money. It may be different for the diplomats, NGO's, the corporate crowd, BOI companies and maybe even the school teachers, but if your just a small business I think the government attitude in Bangkok is that they don't need or want you here.

42 minutes ago, geminiman said:

Tea money was never listed in the invoice or asked for on the side, we have wondered whether it was built in to the professional fees. We don't know if we pay tea money for the visa extension but we did ask about the big increase in work permit and when pressed they said the increase was tea money. It may be different for the diplomats, NGO's, the corporate crowd, BOI companies and maybe even the school teachers, but if your just a small business I think the government attitude in Bangkok is that they don't need or want you here.

I've worked here for over 12 years for an SME and the paperwork submitted each year for both the extension of stay and the work permit is exactly the same (to my knowledge) for myself as it is for the director/owner of the company. No tea money has ever been given. Even though we are not in Bangkok, all the documentation is sent to Bkk for approval from our local immigration office for the extensions.