buying second hand a car for gf on finance

jose34

Hi all,

Wanna buy a second hand car for my Thai gf can anyone recommend a dealer around Pattaya Chonburi area, gf currently unemployed so need a dealer who will accept 30%-50% deposit upfront!! Gf has more than enough to buy the car outright (400k in Thai account) but don't want to spend all!! Don't care about interest also we have no property or anyone to.be guarantor but for 50% or less deposit I can't see it being a problem and read a previous post on here saying it's possible... any suggestions or recommendations?

Any help will be greatly appreciated  

Regards 

Joseph 

If your GF has  400,000 and doesn't want to spend it all on a used car  then buy one 100%  cash for 200,000 :P

The prices on used cars have come down a bit 20 to 30%  since the "first car scheme"

why pay the dealer interest when you can keep the money in the bank and earn the interest herself.

1 hour ago, sandgroper2 said:

Buy in her name, minimum deposit. if you paying for the car, pay minimum monthly payments. Then when she decides to move on, its her problems with car payments and you only out of pocket for the payments you have made.

Take heed young jose34 wiser words were never spoken. Things in life must be earned. Santa Claus only comes at Christmas. Make a token down payment motivate her to get a job to make monthly payments and I am sure the whole idea will be scrapped. 

54 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Take heed young jose34 wiser words were never spoken. Things in life must be earned. Santa Claus only comes at Christmas. Make a token down payment motivate her to get a job to make monthly payments and I am sure the whole idea will be scrapped. 

She can drive to any bar and make money, 2000 - 2 hours and be back in time for nightly fun with husband.

1 hour ago, bark said:

She can drive to any bar and make money, 2000 - 2 hours and be back in time for nightly fun with husband.

1 hour ago, bark said:

Hey bark is that one of those laid back kind of jobs. 1001 ways to please your lover? On the job training to improve hubbies Slife. Ah the school for naughties. 

28 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

I think you will find foreigners cannot get finance for secondhand cars without either a work permit or citizenship.

Oh yes you can. Especially in Pattaya. Quite a few dealers will give a farang credit on cars. Just look on bhat sold.

Edited by Deepinthailand

7 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

Buy in her name, minimum deposit. if you paying for the car, pay minimum monthly payments. Then when she decides to move on, its her problems with car payments and you only out of pocket for the payments you have made.

This. 

Given your situation, you can't put anything in your name, have no assets, and for the sake of buying the car you won't have anything to do with it. Your situation is limited to second hand car tents willing to give you a car. I don't believe you are going to have much choice so just go to the places that will take like 20k down put it in her name and make the payments. 

I have a feeling you are going to have a hard time finding a place willing to give your gf a car. 

Girl friend are nice until they become nasty, they know there way around us and they are more open to the new way to say easy life with farang.

For some work is not important farang has money to pay for joy that she is giving either way they consider this work.

I looked at buying a 2nd hand car on finance a few years back and ultimately I came to the conclusion that it just didn't make any sense at all. Have you had a good look around the car tents? You get very little bang for your buck with 2nd hand cars here. I don't want to put a dampener on your plans but here's my prediction:

You might be thinking of spending a couple of hundred on it but chances are that'll creep up to at least 250K once you see what's out there... then the car tent guys that will offer finance to foreigners are looking for 12.5% p.a., so over 5 years you're looking at total cost of 400K for a 250K motor that in your home country you probably wouldn't pay more than 100K for... and because it's so old you find out that you won't be able to get 1st class insurance on it... then you (or probably your missus) sees that the Nissan March or Mitsu Mirage only costs 380-390K brand spanking new... with free insurance for 1 year... and a 3 year warranty... and finance available at 2-3%... so that seems like a much better idea... except that once you get to the showroom you find that the bottom of the range models with prices that start with a 3 don't come with bumpers... and they've all got manual gears... and your gf can't drive or doesn't want manual, she wants auto... and they're only 2-door... so now you're looking at around 470K... but you've already decided that 2nd hand isn't the way to go, and your gf has smelled that new car smell... and you've had enough of driving round to all these car showrooms and standing there like a goose while your missus does all the talking... there's no turning back now so you figure what the hell... let's get this over and done with... you'll take the Nissan March and since you're now in a spending frenzy you'll upgrade the wheels to a nice set of alloys and pay the extra for the built-in SatNav... so now it's 500K... and after much uhmming and ahhhing over which colour you're gonna have, with great relief that all the decision-making has come to an end you announce to the salesman that you're gonna take the 4-door March with automatic transmission in cobolt blue and you'll be upgrading the rims and taking the built-in SatNav too... Phew! What a relief...! Except... the salesman decides that now is the time to tell you that you're looking at an 8-month wait for the Nissan March...

Well, that's kinda the way it went for me anyway... except I was buying a pick-up and my missus wasn't involved.

If you're gonna go down the 2nd hand route you really need to pay cash I think. But hey, that's just my opinion and I stand to be corrected... Good luck with it all anyway.

Two issues to be aware of;

1. Offered interest rates are over the entire loan amount during the duration of the loan, so real rate is considerably higher than the advertised rate. 

2. You will be charged 7% VAT on the installments. With a new car it doesn't matter, as the loan amount would be on the car price ex VAT. But when you purchase a second hand, the VAT is already in the sales price. So basically you are overpaying 7% when buying a used car on installments. 

Two issues to be aware of;

1. Offered interest rates are over the entire loan amount during the duration of the loan, so real rate is considerably higher than the advertised rate. 

2. You will be charged 7% VAT on the installments. With a new car it doesn't matter, as the loan amount would be on the car price ex VAT. But when you purchase a second hand, the VAT is already in the sales price. So basically you are overpaying 7% when buying a used car on installments. 

no job and wants a car. What does she need a car for in that case? And she has the money in a bank account but doesn't want to spend it all on a car. How much is she willing to spend then???? Looks like Red flag to me

She's played this nicely and the OP has taken the bait hook, line and sinker.

My advice OP, is use some common sense and tell her it's a very bad idea.

Let's be honest here...   until Jose came along public transportation or a motorbike was a perfect way to get around.  Now that she has Jose... she wants a car.. I'm sure she has a bunch of good reason to have one.  This type of thinking is not just in Thailand but worldwide the big difference here is Jose is really going to pay for it one way or another? 

She does have a job that job was putting  the hook on Jose.

There is a dealer on Sukhumvit, just off Hwy 7,  next to the Gas station give them a try.  Good luck you will need it because the car is just the first step.

1 minute ago, jtrump said:

I think everyone is missing the big point. How did she get 400K in the bank account?  But I am sure that the OP knows the answer.

She is currently unemployed, meaning she usually has a job. 

What job do Thai women in Pattaya (with foreign boyfriends) have? I'd estimate that 98% work/have worked in the sex industry.

15 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Hey bark is that one of those laid back kind of jobs. 1001 ways to please your lover? On the job training to improve hubbies Slife. Ah the school for naughties. 

All of the above. Girl Friends are for servicing their men. They all have expiry dates. Time for another.

6 hours ago, Johnniey said:

She is currently unemployed, meaning she usually has a job. 

What job do Thai women in Pattaya (with foreign boyfriends) have? I'd estimate that 98% work/have worked in the sex industry.

You would estimate would you, well it must be right then love to know if you had a dream with those figures in it. Another typical farang type (non) logical theory then

2 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

You would estimate would you, well it must be right then love to know if you had a dream with those figures in it. Another typical farang type (non) logical theory then

Thanks for sharing.

No dream, just working here for over three decades gives me a little insight.

3 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Thanks for sharing.

No dream, just working here for over three decades gives me a little insight.

Oh god another old salt nice one for slipping it in. But unfortunately your !!!3 decades seem to have nullified your thinking process as well as your knowledge of Thailand in my opinion of course.

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Oh god another old salt nice one for slipping it in. But unfortunately your !!!3 decades seem to have nullified your thinking process as well as your knowledge of Thailand in my opinion of course.

Not sure what your problem is but I can guess.

So clever one, how many Thai girls with farang boyfriends in Pattaya have never been on the game?

A percentage please. I'll stick to 98%.