Prayut brings back "Land of Smiles"

webfact

Prayut brings back "Land of Smiles"

150909-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said today that his two-year in office has been satisfactory with smiles returning on the faces of the people, and peace was restored after over a decade of political instability.

In a statement to announce his government performance after two years in office, Gen Prayut said he was satisfied to have seen smiles on the faces of Thai people, and to have “Land of Smiles” image returning to the country again after the military junta could restore peace and order in the country.

He called on people with different opinions to open their heart wide and listen to others, while urging the news media to refrain from widening the conflict or distorting facts.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-brings-back-land-smiles/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-15

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Nasrullah said:

I would say there's less smiles on thai faces than in recent history....;)

On my first day in BKK in '88 I had to massage my face before bed as I had never smiled so much. I was living in Hong Kong at the time so it was quite a contrast.

When I vist BKK now I don't even interact with anyone unless it's absolutely necessary. No smiles and even though I am a competent Thai speaker, I have tired of speaking Thai to many that seem to resent it.

All that said, technology and the ubiquitous smartphone has destroyed interaction in societies in many parts of the world.

4 minutes ago, HenryPattaya said:

People seem to forget when Bangkok was burning 

Right, I remember that,  wasn't that before the military and the douche bag politicians, the bent judicial system and those sniveling sycophants responsible for elections colluded to overthrow the democratically elected government and threw the country into a lock down, punishing it's political enemies?  Well remembered.

For me it's the Land of Selfish and getting worse every day.

Yesterday in the moobaan was funny, there was a car driving who suddenly braked hard at the Pokemonstop (yes we have one)...a  hi-so Thai cyclist on a racingbike could hardly avoid him and they argued about it...:gigglem::gigglem:

That happens to me all day long on my motocy..

I think the only interesting thing to come out of this mornings 5 hour  drone-athon that i have seen was DPM Tanasak's statement that 17% of Thailands GDP was now coming from tourism which is a fair indication how badly the rest of the economy is doing - unless he was just making figures up off the top of his head that is.

Edited by Orac

Of course the people around him (his cronies) who were crying during the last government time are smiling. They got jobs, contracts etc. And all the BKKers are getting wonderful trains and improved airports and santa clauses and jellibeans and everything! All for Bangkok as usual. So in his closed world of cronies and nepots he will see mostly satisfied customers after they receive their Prayuth gifts.

"...Gen Prayut said he was satisfied to have seen smiles on the faces of Thai people...after the military junta could restore peace and order in the country..."

Truly unbelievable observation by this simian sitting in the top of the tree!

With a little modification to the old organisational saying, Thailand can now be likened to a tree full of monkeys...all on different limbs,... at different levels,...some climbing up, and others being pulled down.

The monkeys in the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces looking up at them from below.

But, the reality is that the monkeys on the bottom have to squint as they look up into the sun, and all they can see is <deleted>!

Tree_of_monkeys.jpg

1 hour ago, freebyrd said:

On my first day in BKK in '88 I had to massage my face before bed as I had never smiled so much. I was living in Hong Kong at the time so it was quite a contrast.

When I vist BKK now I don't even interact with anyone unless it's absolutely necessary. No smiles and even though I am a competent Thai speaker, I have tired of speaking Thai to many that seem to resent it.

All that said, technology and the ubiquitous smartphone has destroyed interaction in societies in many parts of the world.

I am sooooo in tune with you on that one. Every word you wrote I could have written.

And you're so right about the damn smartphones ... these so-called 'means of communication' which are in fact so actively and effectively destroying real communication.

Sitting in the Skytrain and watching lines of people lost in their hopeless little screens is one depressing sight.

Your first phrase is very funny ... and very true.

To add a positive note, though, I'd like to point out that even though I've witnessed the slow fading of smiles in BKK over the past 30 years or so, every time I come back from Europe where it's ten times worse, I keep telling myself 'hey, compared to Europeans capitals, this is still the Land of Smiles' !

... Which only proves just how serious the problem is in Europe ... And looking at most of the expats here, walking around with their mouths drooping at the corners and a half angry look glued on their faces permanently, I have to ask : who are 'we' to tell the Thais they should smile more often, like in the good ole days ?

Edited by Yann55