That's a new one - Thai trucker fined 2,000 baht for Michelin men!

webfact

That's a new one - Thai trucker fined 2,000 baht for Michelin men!

a4.jpg

Image: Daily News

LOPBURI: -- A video and pictures of a police stop on a lorry where the driver was fined 2,000 baht for "dolls on his truck" has caused much social media comment.

Apart from the two Michelin men on the front of his vehicle the driver said that he was doing nothing wrong, reported Daily News.

Lopburi police said that the dolls - that lit up at night - were illegal attachments to the vehicle.

The public mostly said it was just decoration and the driver was doing nothing wrong.

But an online lawyer said that it could be construed that the dolls could confuse other motorists and represent a danger at night when they were used as lights so the fine could be warranted.

But everyone accepted that police should not write things on traffic tickets that were not part of the charge - in this case the words "dolly lights" were written on the ticket. The police should just write what law was broken.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-16

1 hour ago, webfact said:

dolls could confuse other motorists and represent a danger at night when they were used as lights

Indeed, having lights in the front of a moving vehicle at night might be confusing. Might save a life or two. Will the police ticket motorcycles that opreate at night  with front lights?

Seems that 2,000 THB is the go-to number for the majority of traffic violations.

Front licenses plate hiding gizmo - 2,000 THB

Extra lights and/or dolls on the vehicle - 2,000 THB

Failure to turn vehicle lights on - 2,000 THB

Driving on the wrong side of the road - 2,000 THB

Catching a few zzz on a U-Turn overpass - 2,000 THB

Running over a policemen with your Ferrari - 2,000 THB

19 minutes ago, RBOP said:

Oh dear, this guys in troubleScreenshot_20160916-074851.png

I've seen thai trucks with many more men, they were even infront of the windscreen so the driver barely can see the road.

And what about all the other crap they hang on their windscreens which blocks their views or might fly off the truck one day? Motorcy-drivers don't like to get that in their faces/under their wheels.

I also hope they start fining for the dark tanned windscreens, i like to see the drivers' face who cut me off all the time or don't use their indicators because that's too complicated for them.

What about the flashing blue lights some cars have. How confusing are they?

Motorbikes with no lights, at all, at night.

Tak taks at night with no lights front or back doing 10kph on the highway. I admit, Bangkok would be free of them, but where I live not.

The list is endless, and the laws about this, if any, are not enforced in a way that will ensure any sort of compliance.

23 minutes ago, ezflip said:

Seems that 2,000 THB is the go-to number for the majority of traffic violations.

Front licenses plate hiding gizmo - 2,000 THB

Extra lights and/or dolls on the vehicle - 2,000 THB

Failure to turn vehicle lights on - 2,000 THB

Driving on the wrong side of the road - 2,000 THB

Catching a few zzz on a U-Turn overpass - 2,000 THB

Running over a policemen with your Ferrari - 2,000 THB

sorry, the last one is not 2.000 Baht. The fine is 0 Baht

I like a few michelin men ,  They are harder to find in BKK at the stores than Pokeman ?

I found one place that had a few and bought them for my friends , 

if there was a Michelin Man store somewhere I would love to know :)

But like always there has to be more to this story than simple Michelin Man overuse,   but we will never know !

When opening up this article I thought I would be shocked. I wasn't. The excuses I have heard from the BIB pulling bikes and cars over are legendary. Even I have been pulled over for allegedly not having enough air in my tyres. When asked how did the policemen know without having anything to test them, well the answer was "he just knew". So when you have to deal with this crap and it is often a daily event on some roads, nothing surprises me.

You are fighting a corrupt and pitiful excuse for a public service. It doesn't look like it will ever change, sadly.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

And I would say that in many cases, the illegal attachments to many trucks and

cars and Thailand are the drivers themselves who are in most of the times

unqualified to drive a motor vehicle.....

WOW! This is the first time I actually agree with you!!!

And what difference is booking a driver with a couple of Michelin men on his truck going to make to the big picture.

The big picture being that Thailand has been ranked as the second most dangerous place in the world to drive. Thailand has an annual fatality rate of 36.2 per 100,000 people. With a population of 67 million that means an annual death toll of about 24,000 p.a.

Eliminating the Michelin Man may save a life or two but what's anyone, including the PM, doing about the other 23,998. 

http://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/the-world’s-most-dangerous-countries-to-drive-in/ss-AAiMppB?ocid=spartandhp#image=3

4 hours ago, Thian said:

I also hope they start fining for the dark tanned windscreens, i like to see the drivers' face who cut me off all the time or don't use their indicators because that's too complicated for them.

Why should fines be issued for legal window tints?

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What about putting religions crap on dashboard? That is illegal in many civilized countries.

Which country legislates against what religious icons can be put on a dashboard?

Edited by gdgbb

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What about putting religions crap on dashboard? That is illegal in many civilized countries.

How nice.

First you insult the Thai religion and then you say the whole country is not Civilized !

Maybe time for you to leave. Sad you are living your life this way.

Angry at the world. Time to go see a doctor to help you with your depression.

Don't be ashamed of your disease, the wonderful Thai doctors will help you.

Maybe buy a dog or cat to talk with you. Hope you feel better very soon.

Good luck in your new life; I don't want you to go to hell. Very hot there.

Get better soon. :(    Sad and angry man  :(

"...could confuse other motorists and represent a danger at night..."

This is a wind up or what?

One only has to look inside most vehicles in Thailand to see all sorts of paraphernalia hanging off rear vision mirrors, on dash boards, in fact anywhere where there is available space!

wind_up.jpg

dash_taxi.jpg

dash_car.jpg

This latest blitz on motorists has already been announced on TV if you can spot it among all the other announcements and drivel that the TV gives us every day.

They are also clamping on any and all modifications made to vehicles be them bodywork, enhanced performance engines, big wheels etc. Yes, I am aware it will all be down to some ' zero educated ' traffic cop and his interpretation, I am just saying it has been announced.

Window tints come in various screen tints- some are legal and some are not. The high government officials are usually being chauffeured around in illegal tinted windows unless its Prayut and he wants to be noticed and seen!

At the end of the day, it's all a big ' yawn ' because everybody decided after the last hike, to wear their safety helmets whilst riding their motos, so they had to invent a new cash cow.