How To Get Smells Out Of Your Clothes

girlx

this was on a thread in phuket forum I think. The amount of humidity in the air makes clothes moldy & musty smelling. It was advised to store clothes in sealable plastic boxes with that gel stuff that sucks up moisture.

Quick fix solution though is fabreeze spray. Can get it in tesco on samui. :o

this was on a thread in phuket forum I think. The amount of humidity in the air makes clothes moldy & musty smelling. It was advised to store clothes in sealable plastic boxes with that gel stuff that sucks up moisture.

Straight up, so is it worth keeping those liccle sacks of silica gel you get in boxes when you buy new stuff......? :D

redrus

Straight up, so is it worth keeping those liccle sacks of silica gel you get in boxes when you buy new stuff......? :D

redrus

To get the Musty smell out of pillows leave them out in the sunlight as long as you can perhaps the clothes as well..

of course i wash them. i have soaked them in vinegar, put them in the sun... still smelly. it might have to do with the fact that a lot of my clothes are like 2 years old.

I always wash my clothes and then use fabric softner (sp?) i think thats what it is anyway its liquid with a strong scent. I use laundry soap first then the liquid stuff.

MiG16, the closet is always damp :o

I find that if I can get my clothes washed regularly (ie don't let them sit in the closet or the dresser too long) then they are alright, but if they don't get worn very often the get musty smelling and must be washed again to get the smell out. With lots and lots of fabric softener :D

i wash mine in a bucket, thai style. maybe i should just start sending it out to the laundry lady.

:o

it's the same.... they use cold water

try it with warm water

i use for shirt's (not t-shirt's) only softener in warm water ...

it smells 1 day fresh :D

:D

yes SBK, hence the need to always rotate what we wear. a bit hard for some girls whose collection of clothes keep expanding :D

also in the south cos its a lot more humid, and lots more rain....i know there are certain months in the year that u cant even leave your clothes out to dry after washing at all!!! then u have to leave them indoor, and always smell ermmm whats the word? lets say not nice :o

my brother thought about getting a dryer....but they are only good for shrinking your wollen clothes hehehe

Clothes that smell of mildew are the entire reason I bought a dryer as well as a washer. It's a permanent solution for all seasons. My clothes can get dry day or night, rain or shine, and because they dry completely they never smell bad. Even just a washer would help, if you get the kind that does the 1200rpm spin. It extracts much more water from the clothes than the 800rpm spin washers so the clothes dry much faster.

The best way to get rid of the smell is to wash the clothes with hot water and/or chlorine bleach. This is simply not an option for a lot of clothes, though. Other than than, do as everyone advises and use lots of highly scented fabric softener. It's why it's so highly scented in he first place.

With lots and lots of fabric softener :o

I agree, fabric softener will really hep. But also be careful, as I've had experienced some allergies caused by fabric softener. I tried and changed to other brands and didn't have good results to my skin.. So I'm sticking with the brand Comfort... ofcourse that could just be me...

As soon as I bought my own washer I noticed a massive improvment in the smell of my clothes as well as the softness as the laundry must use the cheapest nastiest powder available. If you are washing them out by yourself in a bucket then you aren't getting them clean enough & as others have said, too much moiture is left int hem as you cannot get al lthe excess water out before hanging them to dry. Send them to the laundry or buy yourself a machine.

i wash mine in a bucket, thai style. maybe i should just start sending it out to the laundry lady.

You can get cheap washing machines now (altho I'm not sure whether or not Lotus delivers to where you are) which actually work out cheaper than the laundry lady once you've had it for a few months. Are there any 2nd hand shops where you are ... that might be a way to get one too.

I recently just gave my Thai inlaws a washing machine that I no longer needed due to moving house and there already being one in the new place. It cost about 1500 baht (maybe less) to post it from Bangkok to Samui - seriously! I did not believe my b/f when he told me we could take it to the post office and send it, but it was true.

I don't actually know any thais who hand wash their clothes anymore, as sylvafern said, the washing machines are so cheap now that if lotus don't deliver, renting a jeep & taking it over to samui for the day to buy & bring back your own machine will, in the long run, work out cheaper that using the laundry.

Sunlight is very good at removing the smells, although it can be a hassle to put your entire wardrobe out in it.

To prevent new smells, do something to dry thecloset. Baking soda (replaced regulalry) or lime will absorb mosuiture. A continuous light on will help reduce it. Cedarwood shavings (or any other wood shacvings) if you can get them will also absorb moisture. During the rainy season, periodically air out your closet and clothers.

I don't think a washing machine will make much difference unless you also get a dryer. Dryer will help for sure but mildew may still get in the closet. May still need to hand things out in the sun periodically esp during times of high humidity. The problem, of course, is that this need arises in the rainy season, and as soon as you hang them up outsiode, it will rain no matter how clear the skies were beforehand...Murphy's Law.

Sunlight is very good at removing the smells, although it can be a hassle to put your entire wardrobe out in it.

To prevent new smells, do something to dry thecloset. Baking soda (replaced regulalry) or lime will absorb mosuiture. A continuous light on will help reduce it. Cedarwood shavings (or any other wood shacvings) if you can get them will also absorb moisture. During the rainy season, periodically air out your closet and clothers.

I don't think a washing machine will make much difference unless you also get a dryer. Dryer will help for sure but mildew may still get in the closet. May still need to hand things out in the sun periodically esp during times of high humidity. The problem, of course, is that this need arises in the rainy season, and as soon as you hang them up outsiode, it will rain no matter how clear the skies were beforehand...Murphy's Law.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post!

Sun, sun, sun and air, air, air... and NO washing on rainy days!

Just look at how the locals keep their stuff, hardly ever in a closet and next is, they simply don't keep much closing!

My leather Laptop Carry-Bag even gets moldy in the Office, just hanging there, a leather purse, a belt.....!

Even books in the shelve!

It's a setback living in concrete, brick and mortar housing.

The wooden old thai style houses on stilts are build for much ventilation!

MiG16, the closet is always damp :o

I find that if I can get my clothes washed regularly (ie don't let them sit in the closet or the dresser too long) then they are alright, but if they don't get worn very often the get musty smelling and must be washed again to get the smell out. With lots and lots of fabric softener :D

I used to live in one of those old colonial style houses in Singapore, built by the British Army a million years ago. They had heaters in the built-in wardrobes; the original ones were purpose made, with ceramic coverings, but a low-wattage light bulb placed in the bottom of the wardrobe would help reduce dampness. You could paint it to reduce light emission. But please be careful it doesn't over-heat and start a fire :D

Even when I use my dryer let's say for the sheets or towels, the humidity will still get to them once on the bed or in the closet.

For the small closets and drawers I buy those nifty mini dehumidifier, at Tesco or Carrefour for example. The size of an ice cream container. Once the pellets are gone, I replace the container.

I only do this during the rainy season.

• 4 years later...