Russian boy stung by box jellyfish in Samui island

webfact

To Pee or Not to Pee ... (<see hotlink) 

Various authorities recommend rinsing/applying certain things that might be available to inactivate nematocysts stuck on the skin without triggering further discharge of their toxic contents into the victim: sea water, water heated to 45°C / 113°F (a guide for those without thermometers handy: like hot water or coffee that has cooled just enough to drink without burning one's tongue. But not tepid!  Urine at 37°C / 98.6°F is not hot enough.), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda slurry), and papain (meat tenderizer). But NOT fresh water at ambient temperature, which triggers discharge!  

The problem is that for the commonly-recommended vinegar (acetic acid) and 70-90% alcohol (<see hotlink), their effect may help for box jellyfish, but make things worse for bluebottle jellyfish (<see hotlink).  So if one does not know the type of jellyfish, use caution with vinegar and alcohol, which triggered discharge in a "petri-dish" model (<see hotlink).

Thai authorities have written extensively, with photographs, on a series of stings in Thailand (<see hotlink). 

2 hours ago, PattayaBoy said:

There was a photo of that jellyfish in some other website and it was big thing, If im correct box jellyfishes are pretty small.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No they can grow up to a foot with long tentacles. The irukanji box jellyfish in Australia are very small but the most deadly.

Box Jelly is a generic term.  They can get up to 20 cm on each side, 30 cm diameter, with tentacles as long as 3 m.  Not all Box Jelly stings are deadly.  Only a few species are deadly. 

This little guy will no doubt be hurting for a while.  Hope he has a full and quick recovery.   

On Samui there are signs on Lamai beach, but most of the beaches don't display any signs and tourists are not warned about the jelly fish presence, which has been quite important in the last two months. 

The little boy was "lucky" he got treated straight away with both vinegard and CPR as he lost consciousness. Big up for the jet ski guys who rescued him. 

3 hours ago, manarak said:

yuck.

I hate jellyfish and even more when their sting is dangerous.

The russians were lucky that they were just grazed and didn't get entangled in the tentacles.

We need more seaturtles

Yes ,..more sea turtles and less plastic bags ! Sea turtles often mistake plastic bags for Jelly fish and eventually die of clogged stomach or intestines.

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i worked in a water sports center on koh samui the first year i moved to thailand. that was about 10 years ago. we never had a single jelly fish incident the whole year. have to wonder why the jellies are moving in.

That's right up there with "No divers ever got bent til the chamber arrived!" 

I also recall the myth that box jellies never ventured further (in Samui's direction) than 'the other side of KPG' and that Malaria seemingly observed borders and stayed within Burma or Cambodia!

And while I'm at it how about the Bull/Tiger shark victims with propeller shaped teethmarks?

A fair number in the dive industry talk out of their arrses and shouldn't be taken seriously :)

3 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

As this is incorrect for Box Jellies it just compounds a tasteless joke into a potentially dangerous comment.

Very true, It is actually incorrect for pretty well all jellyfish! 

However for box jellyfish it is actually dangerous as it can cause the unfired stingers to fire their venom.

Vinegar is the best solution followed by removal of the barbs from the skin. For safety then get them to a hospital for monitoring.

Box jelly stings rarely lead to death if treated correctly quickly, it sounds like it was in this case.

Very fortunate as the victim was a child and they are extremely vulnerable.

If they are in the area wear some protection, so long as the skin is not exposed the stingers will not fire.

12 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I also recall the myth that box jellies never ventured further (in Samui's direction) than 'the other side of KPG' and that Malaria seemingly observed borders and stayed within Burma or Cambodia!

And while I'm at it how about the Bull/Tiger shark victims with propeller shaped teethmarks?

A fair number in the dive industry talk out of their arrses and shouldn't be taken seriously :)

i am sure there are some bent divers around although i have only ever met straight ones. i am not into diving so i am far from being an expert. guy i worked for down there had never heard of dangerous jellyfish stings until more recently either. not sure what this has to do with divers or where they talk out of.

22 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Being in the dive industry I know what you mean.

However with a bit of common sense it is easy to filter the BS.

Never heard that one but no doubt it has happened, just majorly different wounds.

17 hours ago, greenchair said:

There is a world wide increase in jellyfish populations due the dramatic warmth of the oceans. 

I recall swimming in a sheltered cove in Spain a coupla years ago and being festooned with

jellyfish.'If only someone could find an industrial application' I mused.Then:

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/science/.premium-1.601592

19 hours ago, AsianExport said:

One of the reasons why I find it more and more stupid to swim in the sea when pools are everywhere...

One of Thailand's big tourist attractions are its beaches. Pools can be found anywhere in the world.

Without beaches Thailand would not have the huge tourist industry it has. You don't come here for the mountains and rivers. Some might come here for s*x but most, including Russians and Chinese come for the sea and/or sand.

1 hour ago, cumgranosalum said:

Another thing we can learn from this thread is how bad people are at researching/using/reading/understanding information on the internet.

Is that what you were doing when you posted your last.....response.

I thought you may have dropped your pet jellyfish in you lap!  :shock1:

Archived