Russian boy stung by box jellyfish in Samui island

webfact

Russian boy stung by box jellyfish in Samui island

IMG_4698-wpcf_728x410.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- A 2-year old Russian boy lost consciousness after he was stung by a box jellyfish as he was playing in the sea at Lamai beach in Koh Samui on Saturday.

It was reported that Mr Watcharin Kongmun, a rescue volunteer and a member of the jet ski club at Lamai beach rushed to the call for help from the victim’s parents and administered basic CPR until the boy regained consciousness before he was taken to Bangkok-Samui hospital for treatment.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/russian-boy-stung-box-jellyfish-samui-island/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-19

Russian tourists saved from box jellyfish stings in Samui

SURAT THANI, 19 September 2016, (NNT) - A two-year old Russian boy lost consciousness after he was stung by a box jellyfish while playing in the sea with his mother at Lamai beach, Koh Samui, Surat Thani Province. 

It was reported that members of the jet ski club at Lamai beach rushed to help the boy by administering basic CPR and pouring vinegar on his wounds. The boy soon regained his consciousness before being taken to Bangkok-Samui hospital for further treatment. 

The victim’s mother was also stung by box jellyfish but her condition was not serious. Latest reports suggest that the boy was not in a life-threatening condition. 

From July 31 - September 13, 2016, there were 11 cases of tourists stung by the box jellyfish.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-19

8 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Not sure which is worst..stung by a jellyfish or bitten by a stray dog. But at least the jellyfish aren't here all year round.

Get well soon little fella.

You should be sure - Box Jellies are around all year here and their sting is frequently deadly - they are one of the most deadly stings on the planet - this boy - if it was a Box jelly, is lucky to be alive.

You should be sure - Box Jellies are around all year here and their sting is frequently deadly - they are one of the most deadly stings on the planet - this boy - if it was a Box jelly, is lucky to be alive.

There was a photo of that jellyfish in some other website and it was big thing, If im correct box jellyfishes are pretty small.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

In 30 years here albiet on the Eastern Seaboard and a regular swimmer I only see jellyfish this time of the year namely Sept-Dec.

Dog bites too are frequently deadly.

So I am still not sure...

4 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

What happened to all the signs they were putting up after the last few incidents ???

Out of sight out of mind I guess for the people who's job it was to make them up !!

There are signs all along the beach.

People were still playing in the water yesterday, including parents with their babies.

7 minutes ago, philthebook said:

There are signs all along the beach.

People were still playing in the water yesterday, including parents with their babies.

Guess they are of the same mind as the Chinese and Koreans who knew better when told not to swim on chaweng beach despite flags up telling them not to enter the water ! This kid seems luckier than they were.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i worked in a water sports center on koh samui the first year i moved to thailand. that was about 10 years ago. we never had a single jelly fish incident the whole year. have to wonder why the jellies are moving in.

Many reports suggest that rising sea temperatures combined with loss of jelly fish predators, such as squid, turtles and prawns, are all factors in this rapidly increasing problem throughout the region.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i worked in a water sports center on koh samui the first year i moved to thailand. that was about 10 years ago. we never had a single jelly fish incident the whole year. have to wonder why the jellies are moving in.

There is a world wide increase in jellyfish populations due the dramatic warmth of the oceans. 

3 minutes ago, Ponlamai said:

Many reports suggest that rising sea temperatures combined with loss of jelly fish predators, such as squid, turtles and prawns, are all factors in this rapidly increasing problem throughout the region.

turtles being killed off by eating plastic we  discard that looks like their food. then jelly fish numbers increase as the turtles die off . now we are being injured and killed by the jelly fish. we are reaping what we have sowed. 

2 minutes ago, greenchair said:

There is a world wide increase in jellyfish populations due the dramatic warmth of the oceans. 

2 minutes ago, greenchair said:

That's a gross generalisation.

certainly global warming is causing conditions to change in a way that benefits certain species - not just jellies - and there is a reduction (dramatic) in jelly fish predators - e.g. Turtles. - but the Box Jelly is not a "common-or-garden" jellyfish, it  is a distinct species   predators - 

However it has not been established that the numbers of Box Jellies has increased.

What is certain is that there are a lot more people in the waters where box jellies thrive.

at present they aren't even sure of the life cycle around Thailand.

These creatures usually spawn in estuaries in Australia and are  restricted to a seasonal outflowing, but even that isn't established around Thailand.

the problem in Thailand is that prevention and emergency services are nowhere near as effective as they are in Australia - so if you are stung by one of these animals you are down on odds straight away.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

It is purely conjecture to suggest they are "moving in" - There have been reports of Box jellies for decades ad the region is well within the Box jelly habitat range.

Whereas eco-conditions may be a factor this is not established

As said earlier though, there are a lot more people ion the water these days. - so the answer is unlikely to be as simple as you suggest.

Perhaps I should add that the Box Jelly adult is so well protected, it doesn't really have many predators - turtles being the number one exception as they are protected from the heinous sting.

It is when they are plankton or spawn in estuaries that they could be most vulnerable as fish food.

Of course in places like Samui there has been unregulated development and plundering of estuaries and mangroves  - reclaimed for development.

In Oz there appears to have bee a big increase in Stinger numbers - but I hae not read a definitive explanation yet. so to blame the apparent increase on a single factor would be illogical.

2 minutes ago, Ponlamai said:

There are those of us who will not swim in a toxic soup of chlorinated urine and other virus and bacteria.

There are those of us who will not swim in a toxic soup of chlorinated urine and other virus and bacteria.

...and the swimming pools are no better! - (where do you think all that drained water goes?)

The first thing that jumps out a me is " a rescue volunteer and a member of the jet ski club at Lamai beach rushed to the call " which is a reminder that we are still in the dark ages here. There should be government rescue services on all these tourist beaches"  Not to mention ambulances, etc, Think of the millions or billions of baht that are spent around here on hotels etc, and we have to rely on the local "volunteers". The prices being charged in Thailand are not third world, so why is the service. Deplorable.

Archived