car taxing is taxing

Khon Kaen Dave

Hi,i need a little information here,if anyone can make this clear for me.

I have spent most of my time here in Bkk and Patts.I never taxed my car myself because i always had it done for me by a member of my staff.Or i would let the local mechanic(who was a good friend) run it up to the local test/tax centre.

I rettired and moved to my wifes village near khon kaen.My car is some 6 years old now and it fell to me to have to go to the local office myself.I never looked at my tax rectangle ,I cant call it a disc,because i was always told when the tax was up for renewal.

I have never been pulled up by the feds for any motoring offence ever,but my luck ran out.last thursday i was on my way to the local Lotus and a cop pulled me up at a general check point. I showed my Thai licence,he ok'ed,  and he had a look over the car.I was about to pull away when he returned and looked at my Tax disc.He told me that the tax was out of date,and gave me a ticket for 400 B.No problem.Problem is that i dont write or read Thai,so when i went to the office this morning i paid for the test and paid for my new tax.I always thought that you got a years tax but it seems that i have to renew again in April of next year.

Can some one tell me,do you get a year here.The woman at the office wrote on my paper 14/5.2060.I am not familiar with the Thai calender.Its all a bit odd.My wife couldnt make it clear to me,so i am hoping that someone out there can help me out in this situation.

Thanx in advance.

Kwasaki is right. Your tax had already run out as the policeman noticed as should you have since it is your responsibility to ensure your vehicle is legal. You have now paid for another year's tax, however part of that year had already elapsed. The year that you have now paid for ends in May 2017/2060.

If you have been living and working in Thailand for some time, it seems odd you are not familiar with the Thai calendar, just add 543 to the Gregorian calendar year.

Two things to do.

You take the cars blue book to any bank, and pay for a 'porobor' I'm not exactly sure what it is for, but you just do it, is only a something on the order of 300฿

When you have that receipt you head to the vehicle tax office to pay the tax and there they will issue you with the windshield tax sticker

If they put the dates on the tax rectangles in numbers it would make things easier.

But they won't because that would be change, improvement and progress.

I too cannot read the dates on the tax rectangles on a whole bunch of vehicles.  I deal with it by putting reminders in MS Outlook.

No idea what the 'porobor' thing is about.  Not related to the vehicles age as I have vehicles close to thirty years old and I have never needed one.

The 'MOT' process for older vehicles is amusing.  The first one I did I was sweating because the horn did not work.  With more experience I now know that you can 'pass' even if the vehicle has doors, one wing and a headlamp missing.  Not my vehicle I hasten to add.

Month names abbreviated in Thai :smile:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/24711-abbreviated-thai-months-what-are-they/#comment-3906733

Yes it's quite unfair to foreigners but the tax sticker shows the month in Thai script abbreviated only.

Year, well I never have to think long. I am born in 2500 :biggrin:

Subtract 543 from B.E.

2559 (this year) - 543 = 2016

Edited by KhunBENQ

If they put the dates on the tax rectangles in numbers it would make things easier.

But they won't because that would be change, improvement and progress.

I too cannot read the dates on the tax rectangles on a whole bunch of vehicles.  I deal with it by putting reminders in MS Outlook.

No idea what the 'porobor' thing is about.  Not related to the vehicles age as I have vehicles close to thirty years old and I have never needed one.

The 'MOT' process for older vehicles is amusing.  The first one I did I was sweating because the horn did not work.  With more experience I now know that you can 'pass' even if the vehicle has doors, one wing and a headlamp missing.  Not my vehicle I hasten to add.

You mean American numbers or rest of the world numbers? Written months are clear imo.

If the car needs a check, take it to a check station, they're all over the place. They can arrange all including insurance and tax. If no check required, same station can arrange, as can many others like banks, postoffice, insurance office, etc.

Porobor is the compulsory insurance btw, required before tax disc will be issued.

23 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Clear for those who can read Thai :tongue:

carpending.jpg

Yes. Living in a country and owning vehicles here it is IMO not too much trouble to compare the writing with e.g. a calender or ask girlfriend/wife/husband/neighbour/girl next door/girl of the insurance agency/etc.). Maybe even google can help with this, never tried that.

45 minutes ago, Gibbs2 said:

If your books are in Thai then look at the compulsory insurance, clearly in numbers on the certificate.

No do not have the books available as all sold now and books for new vehicles in the bank.

Can someone Translate this. Whats a Bank got to do with Tax.:stoner: This Icon is the only improvement ive noticed so far. Looks like Trans.:partytime2:

One time I thought it was time to renew a tax rectangle and my wife was away on business.

So I asked a Thai acquaintance of mine here in hillbilly land what month the tax was due.  He is a university educated guy who speaks excellent English.

He looked at the blue book and at the rectangle and told me the wrong month!

So I renewed the tax four months late.  Lord help us.

7 hours ago, Gibbs2 said:

If your books are in Thai then look at the compulsory insurance, clearly in numbers on the certificate.

No do not have the books available as all sold now and books for new vehicles in the bank.

That will not always work as the tororbor insurance and tax are not necessarily concurrent.

The tax runs from the expiry date of your last tax whereas the insurance runs from whenever you effect/pay for the insurance.

As an example if you renew the tax one month late the new insurance would expire one month after the new tax expires assuming you paid for both on same date.

6 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Can someone Translate this. Whats a Bank got to do with Tax.:stoner: This Icon is the only improvement ive noticed so far. Looks like Trans.:partytime2:

Means he dont own anycars outright, all are on finance and the bank has the books......should have a copy though showing tax paid (which will have the date in thai script).

19 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Means he dont own anycars outright, all are on finance and the bank has the books......should have a copy though showing tax paid (which will have the date in thai script).

Sorry do not have only get copy of original book, it is never updated.

On 9/21/2016 at 9:57 AM, Gibbs2 said:

Isn't motorbike Porobor in Thai script?

On 9/21/2016 at 5:48 PM, Don Mega said:

Sorry do not have only get copy of original book, it is never updated.

why I retax it myself, no problem at all,